Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'tyrannosaurus'.
Here are a couple of WIP photos from my T-rex conversion to the "King of Feathers". I was working from this painting, from the "Tombs of Annihilation" campaign book. I trimmed away a lot of the ornamentation on his back and put on a base of green stuff. Once that dried, giving me a smooth surface to work from, I started adding small strips of green stuff to jam the 'feathers' into. The feathers are made from Dollar Store plants. I used wire cutters to clip the ends off of about 500 individual plastic leaves. Then I washed the leaves, so they would have a better chance of sticking to the green stuff and the glue. They still fall out sometimes, even though they are glued into the greenstuff with superglue. I would add a chunk of greenstuff and smooth it out. Then I jammed in the 'feathers'. Once I had a line of feathers in place, I put another line of greenstuff on top of them to hold them in place, and to be the base for the next layer of feathers. Once I had all the pieces ready to go, it went surprisingly quickly. The actual process of applying the feathers only took about two hours. I used my airbrush to apply primer in a zenithal pattern. Because of the complexity of the feathers, it was much easier to use the airbrush to prime it rather than brush it on. Final paint finish turned out pretty well. Here is the same figure painted as a more traditional t-rex. This project was a lot of fun. I spent a lot of time giggling over how the players in my D&D game were going to react when I put this on the table.
I've been running the D&D campaign "Tomb of Annihilation". It contains a truly monstrous beast called the "King of Feathers". So of course I had to make one. The T-rex from Wizkids is a really nice figure. I'm not normally a fan of that line, but the T-rex is awesome, This one is heavily modified. I will post some step by step photos in the WIP. An older t-rex, painted a few months ago.