Search the Community
Showing results for tags '03495'.
Found 2 results
By itself this figure is 02863: Female Werewolf by James van Schaik, but to be clear I got mine as part of the set 03495: DHL Classics: Lady Lycanthropes. I have two copies, but of course they are sold singly. It's an evocative little figure, with a slim build and fur suggestive of long hair. The tail is a separate piece which was too thin for my pinning skills, so it is simply glued on. I decided to paint these two in realistic wolf style. - That is, colored as real wolves would be, though distorted. After cleaning up mold lines, I prepared them by priming thinly with Titanium White and washing over with Burnt Umber. I also threw a quick green on the bases mixed from Yellow Oxide, Hansa Yellow and a small amount of Carbon Black (yellow + black is a fun and unexpected way to make bright greens!). Those broccoli bases caused me endless trouble. Note the tiny white specks on them? Those are tiny pits where the paint didn't take. I will eventually come to spend all sorts of time poking with specially thinned paint and tiny brushes trying to eliminate those white spots.
Two copies, primed with Titanium White and a wash of Burnt Umber: This is a Kitsune figure Reaper offers only as part of a set. I got mine from two copies of 03495: DHL Classics: Lady Lycanthropes (which also includes a werewolf and a weretiger). She also comes in the set 02900: Beastmen of the Wyld (which also includes a boar-man and an elk-man (American elk or wapiti, not European elk or moose)). I will confess, I had seen her around in the store and thought her sculpt only okay and kind of flat looking. But then a couple of gorgeously painted examples changed my mind: So I got two copies of 03495: DHL Classics: Lady Lycanthropes, since I knew I was going to need lycanthropes for a game soon and there aren't too many females out there. Just to get a sense of place I sloshed a little drab green, mixed from Burnt Sienna, Yellow Oxide, and a dab of Phthalocyanine Green, onto their bases. I decided to paint one up as a silver fox and one as a classic red fox. Using my standard method of slopping some beginning colors on, I mixed up a neutral grey from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna plus some white and daubed it on one of the figures (plus some pure white on the tail tip). I took some of the straight Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna mix -- which is a transparent dark near-black with violet overtones -- and laid it on the silver fox in the standard places. If you Google silver foxes they are beautiful, almost like Siamese cats, with silver heads and backs and black legs, tail, ears, and face. I did similar things with the reddish kitsune. I mixed a dull rusty red from Burnt Sienna, Yellow Oxide, a dab of Titanium White, and a minuscule amount of Phthalo Green to grey it down just a hair, then I daubed it on the parts of a fox that would be red. I washed her darker bits with that same Ultramarine Blue-Burnt Sienna near-black, and a light brushing of pure white on her tail tip. Then I took some pure Carbon Black and laid in their eyes, noses, and lips. It's really hard to see on the silver fox, but there is a difference between it and the "black" on her face. So they are a real mess right now, but there should be some interesting developments as we go along.