Search the Community
Showing results for tags '08906'.
Found 3 results
Painted 2/17 with LTPK received at Xmas. Asked for it after tough experience painting minis with Folk Art craft paints. (See bugbear warrior post.) Soooo much easier! It was like a different art form altogether. I followed the directions verbatim with the skeleton. I like greyish orcs so changed the skin tone and some other colors. IIRC, Mangu is per the painting guide.
I'm glad I got talked into checking out these kits. Having someone walk me through what exactly to do really helped me to focus on what was happening with the mini without getting distracted by thinking about the next color choice or whatever. Honestly, the skeleton was probably my favorite of the 3 minis. Sure, it doesn't have as much going on with it as the other two, but the simplicity makes it good for learning, it's the one that seems best suited to "drybrush EVERYTHING" approach to highlighting, and besides, the dopey look of it is rather cute This one, on the other hand, was kind of a nightmare. It's not so much that there was anything particularly difficult about the model itself (it's actually posed to make things pretty easy to access all around), but it was just horrible trying to drybrush it with any real sort of cleanliness (not talking so much about how I clearly overdid it in some areas as stuff like the random brown smudges on his skin, metal sparkles on his leather parts, etc.). Well, that, and I had a hell of a time getting the brush to survive banging into the spikey bits no matter how careful/gentle I tried to be with it when doing the leather bits. Getting more eye practice is never a bad thing, at least. I even managed to keep the black outline all around the whites this time! This one annoyed me to start out because I just couldn't get the sword to set straight no matter how much I overbent it in the other direction while doing the whole hot/cold water thing. Once I decided to just give up and go with it, though, it was pretty smooth. Probably the best looking of the three in the end. All in all, it was a very valuable learning experience. Hoping that the learning keep going on through the next kit as well!
Finished up the last mini from the Core Skills kit. I think he turned out ok but the shield and shield arm was probably the hardest part to paint. It was hard trying to get into all those tight corners with the brush and trying to keep the blue and metal separate from each other on the shield when dry brushing. And here are all three of the Mini's from the Core Skills kit. Looking at them compared to some of the older stuff i've done I think i've seen some improvement. The orc, I think is still the star of the kit followed by Timur and the the archer. Now its on to the layer up kit.