Search the Community
Showing results for tags '80022'.
Found 2 results
I rarely do anything artsy to base my figures because despite reading lots of tutorials and buying lots of basing supplies and bits, I always think I'll bugger it up. But last night I decided to give it a go and I'm really happy with how it turned out. The zombie is 50253 Lucy, Zombie. I painted her wearing blue jeans, a red T-shirt, a black jacket and a pair of Converse All-Stars. Her skin is done with Army Painter Necrotic Flesh and shaded Dark Tone, then highlighted with more Necrotic Flesh mixed with Vallejo Off-White. Her eye is also in Off-White but for some reason I could only get her right eye to look good even after buying an 18/0 brush (yes, a size 000000000000000000 brush) so I just darkened her left eye to try to give the impression she's lost that one. Her hair is done with Army Painter Desert Yellow and highlighted with Army Painter Moon Dust*. Looking at her again I should have added blood around the tears in her jeans, but I can still add that. The leg is, somewhat ironically, from the Bones 80022 Berkeley, Zombie Hunter. I bought her a few weeks back and was going to paint her a couple of days ago when I discovered her chainsaw is bent. No matter what I tried, including the "warm, straighten and freeze" method, it remained bent so I chucked her in my bits box and bought the metal version. I hacked the leg off the plastic version, drilled a hole in the top and inserted a bone I'd got in a bag of skulls and bones from RBJ Games. I painted the leg Army Green, the boot Desert Yellow, shaded them with Army Painter Dark Tone and highlighted them with their base colours. The blood is a mix I made (see below) and the bone is painted Skeleton Bone and washed with Dark Tone. The base is made from cork board, painted dark grey and covered in black sand which was then highlighted with lighter greys. In hindsight, it doesn't look *that* good — I probably should have sealed the cork, painted it to look like asphalt and added some sort of road marking. The blood is a mix of several reds (Reaper, Army Painter and Vallejo) plus dark inks (Army Painter) plus some pure Citadel Abbadon Black. For the pool of blood I thinned it with plenty of water and daubed it onto the base. I thinned it even more and used it as a kind of glaze on the leg to get the blood-soaked cloth look. The cork is glued onto a 20mm base but I need to weight it as it's pretty light and, as I discovered this morning, will topple over if the living room fan points at it. As always, any comments and/or constructive criticism are more than welcome. *I bought a box set of 104 Army Painter paints and washes when I got back into the hobby as a way of getting a ton of paints quickly and economically. They're pretty good but Reaper and Vallejo paints are way better, so I'm working on building up a collection of them too.
I've been working on these since last year, a couple figures at a time. I hope to eventually put together an entire army of them but redneck sculpts aren't that easy to find. The chronoscope zombie hunters/survivors and the new hillbilly are next on the list of acquirements. The car is a 1/32 scale 1970 Plymouth Road Runner from Jada Toys Fast and Furious line. Somewhat over scale, but it looks close enough and is easy to take apart. I resisted the urge to Mad Max it as I wanted it to be more along the lines of a car left in the barn for some years before TSHTF. I chose to use warmer colors to match popular 70s shades and to give it a hint of the General Lee. These two are the first ones I painted and the freehand flannel isn't the best but it give him the look of a regular farmer. The one on the right is a combination of Darryl from the Walking Dead and Rambo. Both are from Wargames Factory Apocalypse Survivors:The Men. Next are Westwind's Redneck Militia. They were fun to paint, especially the cans of Hamms. Berkeley was done as a homage to Ash from Army of Darkness. I freehanded more flannel on Billy Joe and it came out much better than my first attempt and the flag on his hat came out better than I expected. The flock on his overalls was an accident but I'm leaving it as it suggests the white lightning in his jug caused him to stumble a bit. I also am happy with the freehand on his rag. Bobby Jo is the one that I think came out the best. Eventually I'll get them another vehicle and some plasticville mobile homes.