Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Megaminis'.
Found 4 results
This is a little bit of a two year flashback for me. When I started painting again, some of the first things I painted were a bunch of Megaminis skeletons I'd got in a big combo pack. I'd just picked up some Quickshade that I wanted to try out, and I'd read a how-to on using it for skeletons. So I blasted through almost the whole set of skeletons until something (I'm thinking my first Reaper order, with my first Bones in it) distracted me. Just a few weeks ago I was cleaning up down in my basement painting area (trying to get it usable, so I can get back to learning to use my airbrush) when I found the five skeletons I hadn't painted. So I decided I'd try painting them the same as I did back them. I immediately ran into one problem...I'd originally painted them with Partha paints, and I'd just given away all my Parthas to an old friend who was getting back into painting. I figured out some colours that seemed close went with them. It was weird painting this way again. The whole paint job was less than my normal base coat now. No wonder it takes me so much longer to paint stuff now. So here are the 5 I painted up over the last week or so (I was sick for a few day, which slowed me down). And here they are mixed in with the horde I painted two years ago. At some point I'll go back and put them all on bases (perhaps the ones coming with Bones 2). BTW, I'd like thank Xherman1964 for letting me know that these used to be made by Metal Magic back before Megaminis had them. And does anyone know where they are now? Megaminis closed for a while and sold off most of their molds. The owner is back up and casting again, but so far doesn't have the skeletons available...
Back when I started painting again, one of the first things I decided to paint was a bunch of skeletons I'd gotten from megaminis (who are now johnny borg castings and don't currently have these skelies....). They were to be my first tries at using Quickshade, and were done very simply. While base coat, basecoat straps, cloth, armor and weapons, then Quickshade them and dull coat. I did a whole mess of them, but 5 unique ones didn't get done for some reason. Fast forward to 2 years later, and I'm cleaning up my desk in the basement and find these guys. So I decided to paint them up to (hopefully) match the rest. This lead to a problem. When I painted the rest it was right when I started painting again. IE before I ordered any paint from Reaper. These were done with old Partha paints. Funny story...a few weeks ago an old friend of mine was telling me (via email, he lives 2 hours away) that he'd started painting again. I knew he used Partha, so I asked him how his paints were and if he needed any. I was going down that weekend, so I just took them ALL down and gave them to him (Well, all minus Plum, since I need to match that with a colour from one of my current lines I use first). So I don't have any of the original colours. So I've guess at close approximations and today I threw a bit of colour on the first two. And that's apparently about all I did to them back then. Now I need to go slap some dark tone quickshade on them and see how close the colours are afterwards....
Hey all, I just started painting again about a month ago. When I was in highschool and a bit younger (too long ago) I tried a little bit - I MAY have primed, and MAY have used more than 1 colour paint... but I'm not sure. I found out about the second kickstarter, and figured I should get some practice in before that. I have the first Learn to Paint kit, and a few mega minis that I grabbed before they closed. There was a lot I found frustrating, and a lot that I picked up along the way. 1) I'm never doing eyes last again. Ever. (They still kill me, even though I've read and watched a lot of tutorials, and I can do it on paper). 2) Taking pictures is a good way to see what you've missed... like painting the pants up under the tunic -whoops -especially when it's not visible unless you look. 3) I noticed mold lines after I started. Some of it I couldn't conceive of removing without damaging the mini. They aren't so visible in person. 4) Some of my paints are waaaaaay runnier than others. I managed to cover up some minor issues but it was a huge hassle 5) I learned when to walk away. I'm doing these for gaming, so they don't need to be perfect. 6) These are much shinier than in person, due to needing flash. Here's a group shot, I took quickly with my phone (all pics with the phone for now) There's something I like about all of these... so I guess that's a success. Now updated with LTPK 1 pics and 02303 Mason Rowan pics When I was painting Rowan, I had planned out a tartan on the kilt. The blue paint ran over everything. I managed to clean it off, but I no longer had any interest in going through my complicated plan. I did a quick fake by just doing a few regularly spaced lines of different colours. It does the job. I had to redo the socks as well, and no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of the grass stain on his knee.
So I mentioned in my WIP thread for my mohawk dwarf that I was working on dwarven chieftains for the other main clans in the world my husband has created for D&D. I figured while I was taking pictures of the mohawk dwarf (Chieftain of the Erdunir Clan Emerald) that I should make a WIP thread for the rest of them too. First up, chief of the MagmaFist Clan, (14561) King Axehelm of Kragmarr. He's a mountain dwarf. Chief of the duergar SteelSilk clan, (14324) Herryk Aesir. Chief of the Thumbbreaker Clan, also mountain dwarves, (14042) Thorgram. Chief of the deep dwarf Dulvine Clan, (02472) Thain Grimthorn, with weapon modifications. Chief of the hill dwarf Longfang Clan, (02229) Brag Ironballs (te-he!). Last, but not least, the chieftain of the derro dwarves (whose clan name I can't remember..), from MegaMiniatures. That's a lot of dwarves...