Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Runelord Alaznist'.
Found 1 result
As I'm sure most of you do in these exchanges, I end up picking parts of the request to focus on. In this case I went with a winter base and OSL. Generally when we think of OSL we think of a mini painted with a zenithal light source and then the OSL is a secondary light source that colors part of the mini. I decided to do something different though and make the OSL my primary light source. Initially I wasn't going to have any secondary lighting, but that made things a bit boring from certain angles so I added in some moonlight. In the scene below the primary light source is the end of the staff. Anything illuminated by the staff I painted "normally," though with the highlights and shadows were orientated to it and not zenithal. Anything not lit by the staff is lit by desaturated "moonlight." For some reason I had difficulty getting the light balance correct on the photos but it's still pretty close. The mini itself. Here we start with normal colors: But as we get to her back the light desaturates until eventually the light source is blocked. Also, a bit of freehand. And a bit of milliput dust on the black base. It wiped off but I didn't redo the photo shoot. From the side you can see how I tried to put all of the highlights towards the staff with deeper shadows further away. The base. So far the battle has not gone well for the undead. I cut two of them apart so they could be caught in the moment of being blown apart. The inner light is a bit subtler on the armored skeleton. The eyes are so deep that you can only see the brightest parts from a very small angle. Now that I think about it I would have been better off to fill the sockets and freehand the surface. Ah well, for next time. : Here's probably the angles where you can really see the desturated vs lit areas best. And the top view. I don't currently have a way to do a light box for this angle on something this size so it is just sitting out on the table. I think these might have turned out the most color accurate though. I used some crackle medium to make the ice, and didn't realize that it did not adhere very well. My first drybrush took some of it off and I had to put it back in place. One thing I couldn't quite decide on was the cast shadows. Normally I just consider the scene to just end like it has been chopped off, but that leaves a gap of vertical snow in some places. Maybe I should have taken them down to the wooden base... I had initially planned on more freehand, but ran out of time. Thanks for looking.