Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'bark'.
Found 3 results
Thrym posted a topic in Show OffMom's Birthday Present 2017 Wall-Mounted, Lighthouse "Fairy Garden" A while ago, I found a plank of boxwood for sale in Michael's. It had a slight s-curve to it and looked cool. So I thought it'd make a cool backboard to a hanging plant display. Well as some of you can plainly see, it turned into a full blown construction project. Checkout the full WIP for details on the planning, pieces-parts and what went into it. The bark crested pot on the left is open for my mother to add her own "fairy garden" elements. She's been talking it up for a while. Now she has no excuse. The top soil has moss that's been growing out back of my house for two seasons mixed in so it will regrow on the surface of the garden. Plant life: Top Left: Begonia Rex (Painted Leaf Begonia) Top Right: Dragon's Tongue Large Pot: Rabbit's Foot Fern (you can see one of the "feet" sticking out) The two buckets will likely require re-potting to larger homes and then she can place whatever she likes there. Here's the completed project: Enjoy!
Thrym posted a topic in Works In ProgressOkay, so not completely a miniature-related project but it's all I got for the moment. I will be employing a lot of the techniques I have learned over the years though for building bases and terrain. This is a birthday present for my mother (March 30th) and we're in the last days of this project. I bought the pieces over the last couple of months and have been playing with the concepts and working the project out as I could. Same thing preventing me from getting any painting done on minis has hampered this project. So, here's a quick run down of how this came to be and where it stands. I found the boxwood crosscut board in Michael's and decided it was a neat piece to make something from. Originally, and this would have been MUCH EASIER, I was just going to install three tin pots and do an herb pot holder. The idea being a slightly backwards tilting board with three tin pots that would hold similar sized terracotta pots with herbs planted in them. Simple. Naturally, my projects escalate really quickly. So now, I have a lighthouse fairy garden with two herb buckets wall hanging for her new kitchen. The darker background wood will work nicely with the lighter foreground wood in her new kitchen. I'll take a picture when it goes up. On to concept and construction I brought it altogether today after some serious conceptualizing over the last two weeks. Some efforts were made with my buddy and his planer on the black walnut I have which is still at his place so I used a "stand-in" graphic to simulate the surround for the backing. Here's what I mocked up.... Yup, assembled from a photo I took, stock pics, and my mad, photoshopping skills! The bucket at the bottom is pretty much stock. I will line the inside of it to waterproof it. The water around the lighthouse will be blue sand, light blue pebbles and blue moss to keep the "garden" feel glued down to a cork insert shaped into the bucket end. The cork is currently drying, as I glued two pieces together to make a sturdier insert. I drilled holes through it so water can still be applied to the roots and dirt below. I added a bevel to have it sit in the bucket at the right height and structural integrity. The bark/gravel beneath it will provide the main support but this will prevent shifting since I can glue it directly to the sides. On the water will sit a rowboat which could use some more paint and cleaning. The boxwood board has a plastic wrap in that picture still, hence the label. Not sure I want the terracotta pot or something lighter for the wall hanging. I might just use the top of the pot with the broken pot look that a lot of fairy gardens go for. The mini buckets are taped in place but I will be screwing them in. Prolly with some washers and sealer to ensure the tin doesn't slowly rip over time. The little buckets will likely get mini-pot inserts as well as sealed against water damage though rusting will only enhance the look of the piece over time. The big wood block at the bottom won't be the bottom piece. It'll be a piece of black walnut. That's just a stand-in piece of lumber I had around that was the right width. More work continues tomorrow night. Enjoy and Stay Tuned.
As I tend to do, I had a side basing project today for our Paint Day here in the Finger Lakes of New York. So I present the ... Mountain Base w/ Marble Boulder. The pieces are obviously, Bark (from Home Depot Mosser Lee garden bag), Marble stone (from Lowes, loose in the parking lot), Play Sand, and Super Glue. All of that is mounted on a 3.75-inch Square Trivet from the dollar store. The bark and sand has Reaper Brush-on Sealer on it to allow a good surface for painting. Once the sealer dry, I primed it with Reaper Grey Primer and then washed it with Reaper Coal Black. From there, I coated the sand that I could see with the Reaper Sparkling Snow. Finally, I started working on my finished rock colors. I went with Reaper Redstone Shadow, Reaper Turkey Brown, and Reaper Tanned Shadow as a highlight color. Amusingly, this brought it back towards the original bark colors. If you hadn't guessed it, I am leaving the marble piece alone for the moment. I do expect to coat it with DullCote later which should dull the sheen making the boulder fit in with the scale a bit more. Enjoy and Stay Tuned!