Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'diTerlizzi'.
Found 2 results
Finished up Sluggort, a Darksword DiTerlizzi mini. The studio paintjob was green, but I thought I'd go with a more Caucasian skin tone, with a touch of jaundice and various other skin conditions. Sometimes, a goblin just needs to relax among the tall grass and wildflowers.
Ok, so I had to move this one to the front of my desk even though I'm working on too many other things right now. This is Dark Sword's new bust: Portrait of a Young Tiefling based on the T. Diterlizzi painting, sculpted by T. Meier. I loves it!! So, I recently took a class on painting realistic skin, and I thought I could use the practice. I grabbed a photo online of Mila Kunis to use as my model, because I wanted to do a bronzed skin. My theory here is to use a red- yellow skin. I'll contrast that with green. I'll also incorporate cream, black and gold. Overall, I'll keep the palette fairly subdued, but not as pastel as the original painting. Here we go! First: Mila. Thanks for posing, Ma'am! So, hints of red, brown and gold in the skin. I may go a bit yellower. I was looking for a good olive and not having much luck. here we are base coated with bronzed skin. I went through my goldeny colors and liked this one best. I went ahead and attached her to the column to have a handle, but I'm waiting to attach the kitty and the horns until I get some of the main bust done. added some pumpkin orange. I think I may just glaze with it later. But it gives me a sense of where I want to go with the skin. ok, I mixed some stuff. Mostly spattered crimson, pumpkin orange and a bit of walnut brown. Might have added a hint of carnage red, but as I went on, I decided I liked the spattered crimson better. I'll be doing the horns in the reddish color. I don't fret too much about neat blending at this stage. i probably could, but I like to paint quick, and I know I'll just go back over it with a dozen glazed layers, so... speed! added the highlights with linen white mixed with the bronzed skin. note my Mila photo has frontal lighting, so I'm putting the highlights in the front. I want to build them up in geometric shapes more or less. At this point I usually get tired of blending and try to knock the eyes out. In a smaller mini, I paint my eyes first and then work outwards, but for this I like to get a sense of the skin. Since the skin will have a lot of red shadows, I'm going to change poor Mila's eyes to green. here's a quick step-by-step of the eyes. lined them in walnut brown. Painted the sclera (whites) with twilight blue. scelera often have a bluish tinge. unless the mini is jaundiced... moving on with shading of the sclera with aircraft gray. Got impatient here and used thicker paint. had to paint over it. Sigh. used palomino gold to start on the iris. I wanted a slightly of-center gaze. added IMEF oilive. skipped through a few steps, sorry. I get caught up sometimes. Anyway- I painted a pupil with pure black, added some pure white dots, and touched up the eyes a bit. I'll go back and blend the sclera later, but it gives her some soul at least. I did add a bit of lined white next to the iris to lighten up the sclera. I went back and did some blending. Added a base coat to the eyebrow. The lips I mixed using bronzed skin, spattered crimson and some linen white. Note- the upper lip is darker since it slopes back. the lower bulges out, so tends to catch the light. And I added in the IMEF olive to get a sense of the color balance. The nice thing about this color scheme is I can use many of the same colors to highlight and shadow my cloth/kitty/hair. This took about 3.5 hrs. i still have a lot of blending to do, But I'm happy with the skin tone. pretty close. I need to glaze in some of my orange and pink up the cheeks, but that will be tomorrow. Now, margarita time!