Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'fishman'.
Found 4 results
Rigel posted a topic in Show OffThe Survival. The Primordial Beast. The Gill-Man. The Deep One. There's a lot of analysis that could be done here, but bottom line? Big fish in deep water are scary and there's a part of our monkey brains that has never forgotten that fact. Since this is a tropical monster, I went with a tropical, vaguely lionfish-inspired color scheme of teals, bronze and copper. Might not be a *perfect* fit for my Early Modern Monster Hunters project, but it's a great Universal monster--and Solomon Kane *did* spend most of his time in the tropics.
FireElemental posted a topic in Show OffI spend less than 2 hours on this guy. He was the practice mini in James Wappel's Advanced Glazing class at ReaperCon this year. The brush that is pictured is the brush used to paint him. Wappel likes using cheap craft brushes since they are affordable and since he gave one that is what I used. This fellow was based and primed whitish by Wappel before class and we spend the class mostly applying glazes or glazes mixed with some thicker colors for things like spots. It was a lot of fun. For those interested in the base, Wappel has a blog post with the process. He also has two posts showing his process on the example minis that he prepainted for the class.
This is one of numerous aquatic creatures I'm painting for some oceanic-themed adventures. This one is for a PC. He's from the original Bones Kickstarter. He had a serious tendency to fall over backwards, so I glued him down to a one-inch fender washer. I primed him last year (before I seriously took to Reaper's Brown Liner) with a medium brown mixed from Burnt Umber and Titanium White, then washed pure Burnt Umber over him to pick out the details. The first thing I did was wash over him again with a deep green mixed from Phthalo Green and Burnt Sienna. Then I mixed a paler green from that with an addition of Hansa Yellow Opaque, Yellow Iron Oxide, and Titanium White, and brushed it lightly over the creature as a sort of basic highlight placement. I also washed over the base with a sandy yellow color.
This guy was an experiment in a bunch of things. Trying to underpaint then glaze - I feel like I learned a bunch even if the results don't show it. Didn't turn out how I wanted it, but I also like the end result. Trying to do a basic OSL - I think I have an idea of what to do when I want to try it more seriously. Another try at fluorescent medium (didn't work) - this was the lure and the OSL. I forgot to add VGC Warlord purple to the gills, and I didn't feel like going back after I noticed. The WIP is available here I wanted him to look a bit shiny - so I went over the scales with a gloss coat on top of my usual gloss then matte varnish but for whatever reason this guy just looks wet all the time.