Jump to content


Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'spirit animal'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Reaper Discussion
    • FAQs 'n Stuff
    • News
    • Reaper General
    • RVC: Reaper Video Channel
    • Chronoscope
    • Bones Miniatures & Legendary Encounters
    • ReaperCon
  • Craft Corner
    • Show Off
    • Painting Tips & Advice
    • Works In Progress
    • Shutterbug
    • Sculpting
    • Speed / Army / Tabletop Techniques
    • Conversions, Presentation, and Terrain
    • Mini Exchanges and Paint Contests
  • Reaper Games
    • CAV
    • Warlord
  • General Discussion
    • General Fantasy
    • General Sci-Fi
    • General Modern / Historical
    • Kickstarter
    • Off-Topic Rampancy
  • The Sandbox
    • The Gathering
    • The Playing
    • Fiction, Poetry, and Other Abuses

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests

Found 1 result

  1. ... The larch? Heh. No, but I want to try something very different from my preferred style in order to branch out and try new things. I recently watched Coco (um... several times) and took a liking to the alebrijes, especially Pepita. I really want Reaper to make a Pepita. So this is my way of showing how fun it could be! The plan: A chibi lion with patterns like the traditional Oaxacan Alebrijes. This means fun bright colors and an attempt at making a piece look like wooden folk art. It can be done! First step, research. ...and my personal favorite: Perfect! I wanted to practice red anyway. I ended up choosing red shadow, dragon red, big top red, seoni scarlet, volcanic orange, marigold yellow and sun yellow as my colors. Second step is to pick a mini. I supported Impact's kickstarter quite awhile ago and almost forgot I had this fellow. It's the Venetian Lion. I set forth in an effort to prep the mini. Um... it took a lot of prep. I decided to go ahead and attach one wing at the risk of making the body harder to paint. I sanded for about half a day then filled in all the bubbles and sculpted one set of claws. Er, I'm hoping their QC has improved since the kickstarter, because this piece took almost a day to prep. Oddly, I think the 3D print went into the mold un-sanded and with texture, because the large surfaces had a texturing I associate with those prints. It took several layers of sealer to smooth. But, I finally got him primed. Isn't he cute! Next, I basecoated with red shadow. why red shadow, you ask? Because red is awful at coverage because of its translucency. So, basecoat with a red brown. This will save you frustration down the road. Next, layer with dragon red. Leave a few areas of the red shadow as deepest shadows. Here's where I had to decided to commit to the wooden/statue route, because a real lion would have a darker back and a pale belly, whereas a figure in top-down light would be the opposite. Still not red? Never fear! Also, put a lot of layers of each step. Lots and lots of layers. Next step big top red. Next, seoni scarlet. I like this color. It's super intense. Very shiny. Except it's matte, but you know what I mean. Boom! Now we're in the red zone. Now, I need eyes. A miniature is lifeless until we add eyes. I like doing them early because they often help guide the rest of the project. I basecoated the eyes with marigold yellow. Then shaded the edges with volcanic orange. Then I added some sun yellow to the center. Even a chibi eye can afford some shading, otherwise the socket looks too flat. After that, I drew in the iris shape. I used red shadow and added a pupil of nightshade purple. When I was happy with the shape and balance, I filled in the eye with some terra nova tundra and more of the yellows. Excellent! I also mixed a bit of linen white into the yellow just at the edge of the iris ring. Here's a front view: Last step in eyes if adding the white reflection. I used pure white for contrast. So he's sort of a demonic cute lion. It could work, right? Then I wanted to try out wing patterns. For the last 3 days I've been wanting to get to the fun part, so I forged ahead and rushed to this step. As it turns out, that was an error, but it worked out in the end. I think. Ok, the key to freehand is breaking down a pattern into something simple. I started with circles. Filled in the circles and added some teardrop lines. added some more lines. and on and on... Until I felt like I was getting closer to pattern. It was then I realized the wing looked way to flat and dull. I needed more shading. What I should have done was make the feather lighter near the origin to add more contrast. So I glazed over the pattern. I'll just have to pick it back up again after I'm done with the shading. Here's the wing with the shading. I'll touch it up a bunch, then rework the pattern. But I think I like it better with the change in contrast. We'll see. I can always paint over it. Sigh. That will teach me to skip to the fun stuff. More later! As always, feel free to ask questions!
×