Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Miniature artist

I was looking at my collection of miniature for my AD&D and i notice that more then 60% of my collection of reaper were made by S. Garrity. then my other 40% go between B. Siens, B. Jackson, B. Olley, J. Wiebe, W. Klocke, and B.Ridolfi.

So I was wondering what seem to be your choice on Artist for reaper as the most interesting of them.

I think S. Garrity has some nice looking Elves and Drows. Then there B. Slens who has some nice looking kobold and goblins.

hands down, my favorite pieces are Garrity, no question.

of course that is not to say I don't like any others, I have yet to find a reaper mini I don't like.  Very few pieces are not yet living with us, more budgetary issues than dislike issues.

Klocke's pieces are great.  Pugh does nice skeletons. Olley, Johnson, Jackson, Ridolphi, Guthrie, Wiebe, Seins,  Mize.  They each have an individual talent and style that make reaper that much more than the other guys.

but a single favorite, Garrity.  I was drawn to her pieces even before I realized it was her pieces that drew me.

cbs

I honestly have yet to say "yuck" to any Reaper mini... there may be some I'd never use (a lot of the dwarves)... but that's just because there's not a large call for them in the game I play.

All of the sculptors are consistently good... but my 2 faves are S. Garrity and W. Klocke... I think I have more by these two than the others... not sure. I also believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that these 2 are the most prolific of the sculptors Reaper has doing minis.

c'mon guys, battle nuns? †

okay, I went to Catholic school.  

those battle nuns, really have meaning for me, and not game related at all.

cbs

The battle nuns are awesome. Funny as heck, and well scuplted. I mean, come on... Nuns in thongs with big swords are just funny.

Oh, yeah... I went to catholic school as a child as well... perhaps that's why..

I have bought all the battle nuns and have supplemented with some non-Reaper minis.

The concept is pretty cool.  Bad(bleep) Holy Warrior Women!  Tired of the same old paladin?

I'm definitely going to incorporate my battle nuns into some skirmish level game.  Or perhaps an RPG adventure where the party helps defend a temple.

I just wish they'd come out with combat monks.  Monks in brown robes with the circular haircuts and wielding crossbows, quarterstaves, and axes.  Nice complement to the Battle nuns.

I might already have mentioned it but my favorite sculptor is Denis Mize.

I loved his Male/Female AD&D player characters to death (my wallet's death), his Elmore minis (Silver and Steel 1-3), the boxed Ravenloft, Menzobarranzan, Titan's of Terrors and *ahem* the Slave Auction, the amazing Beastmasters line and his other various Ral Partha minis.

Some of his works for WotC wasn't too bad either, Redgar is amazing.

I couldn't be happier now that he is with Reaper!  :D

I've been reviewing my Reaper minis, and I've come to one conclusion... They're all good artists!

Numerically I own more Sandra Garrity sculpts than others, but when I look at the ratio of what I own to how many that artist has sculpted for Reaper... they're pretty even.

In other words I've bought about an even percentage of each artists sculpts, at least as far as Sandra Garrity, Werner Klocke, Bobby Jackson, Jason Wiebe, Julie Guthrie, Bob Ridolfi, Bob Olley, Jim Johnson, Ben Siens, and Dennis Mize.  I'll have to look over the list more carefully and see if there are any sculptors that I've missed and compare their list.  But I own minis that I really like from all those artists, and there are more that I want to buy from all those artists as well.

One thing I did notice is that there are certain types of sculpts that I like from each artist.  For instance I really like Bob Ridolfi's undead.

To be honest, almost all the Reaper minis are things I want to pick up. (Hope Ed's saving for his kid's college fund, I'm sure doing my best to donate to it) ;)

I think I have abouter 60 or so before I complete the set... Heh, you'd think they were Pokemon.

--lstormhammer

In my not-so-humble opinion as a professional miniature painter, and based on personal observances over the years, I can safely say that Sandra Garrity and Werner Klocke share the #1 slot, the top rung on the sculpting food-chain as it were. They're the best sculptors in the industry IN THE WORLD. Also in the top percentages are Dennis Mize, Steve Saunders, Julie Guthrie, Richard Kerr, Robert Kyde, Mark Kay, Jim Johnson, Kevin Contos, Dave Summers, John Winter, and Jason Wiebe. These are the top 13, IMNSHO. With Sandy and Werner sharing the top rung, we must acknowledge that they each have one area that is strongest.

Sandy is best at unarmored characters and dragons, while Werner is unequalled when it comes to armored warriors and fine looking weapons. If they could cooperate on minis (work in partnership) then Reaper would beat out the Evil Empire in no time! Just my $.02. I could be wrong, but....well, no, I COULDN'T be wrong!

I could be wrong, but....well, no, I COULDN'T be wrong!

you're not wrong, not only you couldn't be, you're just not.

cbs :)