M.E.O.W. brings you October's Getting to Know You!

Corsair

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 25 October 2022

Have you ever stood all night in line for a movie release?

No.

16 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Nope, never did see the point behind the hype of being there for the premiere of a movie.  I'm the type (before the loudness wars) that would wait a few weeks and then go, because I do not enjoy being in a packed theater. 

Exactly this. I'll enjoy the movie just as much (probably more) if I see it a week or two after it opens with less people in the theatre.

• Like 10

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Not all night. But I did take a bunch of excited kids, and one very excited wife, to stand in line for a few hours waiting to get into a couple of the Harry Potter movies. But that was more just to let them show off their costumes and mingle with other fans. We had actually purchased tickets ahead of time so the only reason to be there was social. The theater made a big deal of it though with a costume contest and trivia right out on the sidewalk. And it was one of those places with a bar, so they had HP themed drinks for the adults inside while a bunch of junior wizards ran around waiting for the show to start. Good times!

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

I've gone to Midnight Releases but never stood in line for a Movie Release.  Now Concert Tickets there have been a few tickets I waited outside of the Ticket Agency over night to get tickets to a couldn't miss concert. 

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

I may have stood in line a couple of times for movies on their first week of release. But all night? Heck no! I don't remember ever doing a midnight premiere either. I just don't get the need to be first unless there's a special exclusive event happening at the same time.

Also, I don't like big crowds as there will always be some people who are way too loud during the viewing.

• Like 12

On 10/24/2022 at 1:07 AM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 24 October 2022:

Have you ever stayed up late to watch an Astronomical Event?

Yup.  I took astronomy as an elective in university, so there were a couple of viewing sessions that were arranged by the prof.  I remember at least going to the harvest moon one, not that it was really late.
I've also stayed up to watch a couple of lunar eclipses and meteor showers.  And given up on many more as the forecast was not helpful.

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Hard no.

Longest to get tickets would have been about half an hour or so to see Empire Strikes Back when I was young. Missed the beginning of the show.  Walked in as Han and Chewie were engaging the probe droid.
I did stand in line to get in to the Phantom Menace for the midnight showing, but I'd already bought my ticket  well in advance. That whole experience (the standing in line, the crowded theatre, the crappy seat, and then, well, that movie) really cemented not going to opening nights for movies. Now, the earliest I'll going is the Sunday night after it releases, since that usually isn't too crowded.  That or Wednesday night, which seems to be the most dead night at the theatre.

• Like 12

On 10/23/2022 at 10:07 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 24 October 2022:

Have you ever stayed up late to watch an Astronomical Event?

While my job is graveyard shift, I rarely stay up for these as most of the time, it seems like the clouds don't play well with it. I think the last good event we had was the solar eclipse ('17?) & tbh, I wasn't going to stay up for that (yes at 11 am in the morning), as it occurred after a work shift, but I stayed up for. I'm glad I did as it was fun to take pics & just to experience it. I think the last nighttime event was a lunar eclipse & the only way I saw it was, I was taking the trash out & noticed it happening in the sky.

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Nope, mainly cause my town doesn't go all out for movie releases. Our theater is a smaller multiplex but they upgraded in 2019, got smacked by the pandemic & are slowly recovering from it. My son & I would always go to opening night releases for the MCU movies, but after Endgame, we haven't hit any of them. A tradition lost thanks to the pandemic, I guess.

Also, even on opening nights, as long as you go before 5 or 6 pm, the theater is empty enough to have a seat empty beside you.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

I've stood in lines for movies, but not all night long. 

DH's former employer used to arrange for the entire company to see new release movies, we had to wait to get in to those a few times, but not over night. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Longest to get tickets would have been about half an hour or so to see Empire Strikes Back when I was young. Missed the beginning of the show.  Walked in as Han and Chewie were engaging the probe droid.

I did stand in line to get in to the Phantom Menace for the midnight showing, but I'd already bought my ticket  well in advance. That whole experience (the standing in line, the crowded theatre, the crappy seat, and then, well, that movie) really cemented not going to opening nights for movies. Now, the earliest I'll going is the Sunday night after it releases, since that usually isn't too crowded.  That or Wednesday night, which seems to be the most dead night at the theatre.

I remember back in '83 waiting in line with my younger brother to go see Return of the Jedi, third day of its release. The lines were long, but we got our seats, and as a 11 year old, the experience was worth it.

When Phantom Menace came out in '99. Also in line with friends, crowded *loud* room. As a 27 year old, the overall experience was lacking.

And finally with The Force Awakens in 2015. Much easier to buy a ticket online and choose my seat. No need to wait in line. A decent experience (though lots of nitpicking for the movie itself). And in an unusual move, since it was my week off, I had a matinee ticket on the day of release. And since I lived in Newfoundland at the time, I was half an hour or more before general release anywhere else in North America. I don't recall anything about the size of the crowd.

With few exceptions, I generally wait until for the crowds go down. One recent exception was Denis Villeneuve's Dune on IMAX. Limited showings in original English, and a 2 hour drive to get to the theatre.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Oh man! I have so many fun memories of waiting in line for midnight releases! Twilight, Harry Potter, a bunch of others that I can't remember what they were right now. But just the memory of hanging out with my friends in line, all so excited about watching the movie together!! Great times!

Edited by PammyD2
  • Like 12

16 hours ago, Corsair said:

Nope. My town used to have a theater but flims got here a month or two later than in the city. Nothing that I ever wanted to see so bad that I would wait all night to see when I could catch it closer to home later on.

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

Never.

And the only midnight movie I've done is Rocky Horror Picture Show.  

I have done more than a few "opening nights," though.  Most of them weren't anything special (but still fun times).  The one that stands out was the opening for Total Recall (1990).  A group of us went to see it at one of the larger theaters in town, it had a HUGE screen (curved and over 100 feet), and when the action started the entire theater erupted in approval!

I did see The Phantom Menace there, too.  If I remember correctly, I sat in the balcony and just let myself get lost in the movie.  I might have been the only person there.  Unfortunately the theater closed shortly thereafter.  It's a real shame as you just don't find screens like that anymore.

• Like 10