M.E.O.W. brings you October's Getting to Know You!

Corsair

50 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 27 October 2022:

Have you ever been to an outdoor concert?

Now that life has started to return to normal… we’ve been able to get back to seeing shows again.  The big county park down the hill from us has a great summer series, so we caught the Decemberists there this summer.  In the past, we’ve seen Pink Martini, the Flaming Lips and others.

• Like 10

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Concerts held at stadiums?  Yes.  But I don't do festivals or fairs.  I may have seen one at the former horse racing track as well.  But that was a long time ago, and I don't remember if I was there or if I just remember that the group played there.

I saw Guns 'N Roses with Metallica (and Ice T's Body Count) and Pink Floyd both at Arrowhead in Kansas City.  They were a couple years apart, though.  I've got to say that at Pink Floyd, I think I was one of six stone-cold sober people there (it was just a few days shy of my 21st birthday).

Oh, I guess I did see one "festival" type show, and it would be the second show at the race track.  One of the local BBQ joints (long since closed) used to do a blues festival.  I remember I was there--and I think I'm lucky I remember that much.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

Sorry I'm late,

Quizzle for 26 October 2022:

Is coffee necessary for life? [yours, or those around you?]

Necessary is a big word but I like both coffee and tea, actually most of the time I only drink those and water during a day

people around me do seem to feel safer when I had my coffee/tea though, I wonder why.

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I'm a Metalhead...so yes.

Outdoor concerts included ( among others) Iggy Pop, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Picture, Metallica, Megadeth, Suicidal Tendencies, Slash etc..

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

I think it happened once. But it was probably some kind of outdoor festival / concert-in-a-park situation. 

My memory it is so dodgy (if you don’t remember who was playing does it count..??) that I couldn’t say what year ago it was or whether I had to buy a ticket. 

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Yes, probably more than I can remember at this point at venues ranging from tiny stages out back of a bar to giant 50,000 capacity stadiums. And pretty much everything in between. I love a good outdoor concert and am fortunate enough to live really close to a small amphitheater that books some good metal acts and a metro park with a nice stage set up that hosts our local symphony on a regular basis.  

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Corsair said:

Sorry I'm late,

17 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

...Some would argue the survival of those around me dictates I have a morning coffee though.. 

I view coffee as The Elixir of Life. I LOVE everything about it; i.e.; the aroma, the jolt of energy, the taste (I take mine black).

AND, as WhiteWulfe said, it makes life safer for those around me.

No I haven't. When I was a young Guy, I  wanted to get to the Newport Folk Festivals, but I never managed to attend one.

• Like 10

On 10/21/2022 at 11:46 PM, Corsair said:

Weekend Quizzle for 22 & 23 October 2022

Have you ever ridden/driven a motorcycle?

Have you ever ridden in a Sidecar? [bonus point!]

Yes, both ridden behind my Dad, and had an off-road motorcycle as a teen.

On 10/23/2022 at 11:07 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 24 October 2022:

Have you ever stayed up late to watch an Astronomical Event?

Yep, had a Hale Bop party back in the 90's when it passed us.

On 10/24/2022 at 11:11 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for 25 October 2022

Have you ever stood all night in line for a movie release?

No.  When I used to go see films in the theater; I'd wait until films had been out for a month before going because I hate crowds.

21 hours ago, Corsair said:

Sorry I'm late,

No, but I do drink a lot of it.  I've given it up before, but my cardiologist wanted me to resume drinking it, so...here I am addicted again.

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Yes, back in 2019, we went to see KT Tunstall and the Bare Naked Ladies at the Mystic Lake outdoor amphitheater.  It was a fantastic experience.  

• Like 12

Yes, I went to the Irish Cultural Festival all the time before it folded.  That is all outdoors. Blossom, the Summer home of the Cleveland Orchestra and venue for other concerts, has a pavilion shell but I still think of as outdoors.  We go to it many times

• Like 10

Yes, quite  a few of the concerts I've been to have been outside.

Clash of the Titans (Anthrax, Megadeth,  and Slayer)

3 Or 4 Ozzfests 

European Monsters of Rock 

...to name a few.

• Like 13

Many at Montage Mountain's outdoor amphitheater for most of them, City Island in Harrisburg, Veteran's Stadium for several, but most epic with JFK Stadium in Philly's last concert Live Aid! 

Oh yeah! and Jazz Fest in New Orleans.

6 hours ago, strawhat said:

I've got to say that at Pink Floyd, I think I was one of six stone-cold sober people there (it was just a few days shy of my 21st birthday).

I saw Pink Flyod's Division Bell Tour in Philly's Veterans Stadium and I also was one of the few sober attendees as well.  It was MIND BLOWING event sober.  I cannot imagine what the effects were on the minds of those who were using mind altering substances.

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 12

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Hundreds, if not thousands. I was a very active concertgoer in my youth, as well as a musician. I've spent time on sound boards and light rigs. I've watched 'em, I've played 'em. There were great times, and plenty of catastrophes. I'm pretty much over them at this point in life, much to the chagrin of my significant other. Some of it is just people, some is my low tolerance for drunks after I sobered up. 

Anyway, everything from arenas to county fairs to backyards. So many stories, cool people (and otherwise), strange situations. I like a simple, quiet life now. That's hard for a lot of people to understand, oddly.

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Though I'm not much of a concert goer overall, I have.

Largest I attended was with Paul McCartney during Quebec City's 400th anniversary in 2008. The crowd was estimated at 200,000 people.

• Like 12

On 10/26/2022 at 10:06 AM, Corsair said:

Sorry I'm late,

GAG. Coffee smells like skunk. I can't even stand to walk down the aisles that have coffee. So gross. My family moved to Costa Rica for 2 years when I was younger, and we lived with my mom's family (8 of us in a 1 bathroom house....) and my grandmother LOVED her coffee. UGH! Worst smell to wake up to in the morning!

I live off of Water, with occasional Hot Chocolate or Juice, and even rarer soda, although I do Love some Mtn Dew or the Mango Loco Monsters, but drink them rarely.

• Like 11