Mummy and Bootilicious Lady: a test of speedpaints

R2ED

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tried speed paints. But, from what I hear, the lack of variation in color is what would probably keep me from liking using them (though, I've certainly seen some people get amazing results with practice).

I like the way the wraps on the bootilicious bride came out. Interesting skin tone, too.

The mummy's wrappings also came out nice. He's an intriguing one - we're used to seeing old, decayed mummies. His flesh tone (which looks cool) is more vibrant and "fresh." It suggests to me that he has been recently mummified, then reanimated. Not sure if that's exactly the feel you were going for, but it's a fresh take and I like it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Grand Slamwith the mummy i had it all set to look decicated, but it was lacking color.  I added the red tones on they're and thought, sure let's do it.  Plus i have sooooo much of the BCA pink, that any use i can find to use it i do.  And yes he looks... fresh. 

The bride of Frank.  Well, she came out nothing like i had hoped.  Areas that were kind of cool - highlight i did around the butt.  It made a very cool effect, but i needed to blend better.  The skin i did as a washed out purple speedpaint, but it just looks bad. So i added warmth and opacity by including that pink on there and dialing up the highlights with added pale sand.  The problem i have with speedpaints are they reactivate and are transparent.  If you're going for fast means to paint and get on the table, then sure, they're good (not great).  I had assumed i could do zenithal highlight, then use speedpaints to do the most of it, then just hit with highlights sparcely. I was wrong.  I'd rather use my full set of colors and layer to what i want rather than the limitation of speedpaint. I want to sell them. 

• Like 3

I love AP for exactly the lack of colors. I have hundreds of paints, and I often get analysis paralysis starting a mini. AP Speedpaints means way less of that. I zenithal, base in SP and then adjust colors with highlights/glazes after I see what works/doesn't in SP. It's a great tool for getting over the first couple layers hump.

Well done for working through it and getting a good result though!

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think they both look good; I'd be proud to have them in my collection, good job on them.

Also, thank you for your thoughts on speed paints. I haven't tried them yet, so I appreciate any and all feedback I can find on them to help make my decision. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speed paints and speedpainting in general is, for me, more a topic on how I plan on using the model. If I'm gaming and I need 20 skeletons that I will remove from the table by the handful, speed paints. Your really cool booty-lady there, I take time with that. Characters, boss monsters and any mini where there is no game involved or that I just love the look of, are painted slow and layered. 

So I am not a fan of how the lady came out (not to say it's bad, just that I can see the model has a lot more potential) but I like the mummy. Sometimes my compromise is speed paint a few colors to call it "painted" and I put it in play. Then later, I "fix" it with a better paint job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@RogaDanaragreed on what the intended use will be in what paints should be used.  I was not thrilled with how she came out either. 

@Count Urliki did a light grey vallejo primer.  Then on top of it was the hardened leather speedpaint.  Once dry i did a dry brush of pale sand to bring the bandages up.  I then edge highlighted with msp splintered bone in high points. Final touch was seraphim sepia in the shaded areas to push contrast.  Here's what the order looked like: 

20221005_183012.thumb.jpg.1f37f068d87a56025821e80ddbc352b1.jpg

20221005_183033.thumb.jpg.7560f120df4ca750d5a57ad903199ff6.jpg

20221005_183108.thumb.jpg.b6b532d6155c0cf383ab0ba31fb79ce2.jpg

20221005_183131.thumb.jpg.6b1f01f79ea864bd7b9d80c011ac9046.jpg

• Like 2