Just a thought about HEX and CAV

Neyuttad

I'm not sure why CAV rules are presented with the hex system. Must people don't even play it like that.

A few months ago, I remember downloading the CAV rulebook, saw the picture, saw the hex, said something like "damn, I don't even have an hex board" then promptly deleted the rulebook from my computer without bothering to read it.

Only after learning that most people in CAV community don't even care about hex, did I look back and found out that the game is great and plays really good.

So, is that good business practice? I don't know, I'm just frustrated that so few people are into CAV. Could it be because CAV was initially presented as an hex game?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't play hex in our area and I've been able to visit several other game stores (out of state) and they don't play hex either.

IMO hexes/squares ruin the miniature gaming experience. Open movement on the board instead of following hex routes is the most common method I've heard of and the only method I've ever seen used. Heroclix is one of those games where squares (hex essentially) is used and it drives me absolutely nuts to watch players constantly counting ranges and distances before, during, and after movements. It just takes the challenge out of the game. There's something to be said about having to CHALLENGING ONE'S BRAIN and COMMIT TO DECISIONS while gaming.

So far, the only way the hex is a factor in the game is for determining the 60 degree maximum pivots/turns and occasionally a LDF (limited defensive fire) shot.

As well... it is almost intangible, but seemingly some of the problems that have arisen regarding CAV rules/mechanics result from the fact that the game is written both for hex and open play movement.

It would be interesting for someone to make a figure range and angle finder.

Ie you put one end at the mini's head facing forward. Then you rotate the device to get the angle, then it has a range finder, you target on the mini.

For the number of table-top etc gamers this would be awesome.

I think the point here is not whether or not people use hexes in their games, but what is featured in the rulebook.

I have seen the hex-objection in other forums as well. There are a lot of people out there who see movement rules with 60 degree turns and hex base examples and automatically assume the game is bad, without even trying it. The hex = bad stereotype is very real.

I think the point here is not whether or not people use hexes in their games, but what is featured in the rulebook.

I have seen the hex-objection in other forums as well.  There are a lot of people out there who see movement rules with 60 degree turns and hex base examples and automatically assume the game is bad, without even trying it. The hex = bad stereotype is very real.

I say Reaper should just abandon the whole hex thing in CAV2. The misconception about CAV+Hex is not attracting alot of players and God knows we need more players. Beside, I don't see why they should keep it, most of us don't even bother with it.

Might be bad for BattleHex though

Well, I have to admit, I am one that likes the comfort of hexes. Comfortable knowing that people have a harder time cheating that extra hex or two movment, or turning too far, or whatnot.

I'll be the first one to say that it can be much more of a hassle from the creation point of view, especially since i love to do relatively elaborate terrain builds.

But, from the playing point of view, it just makes everything easier.

It would be interesting for someone to make a figure range and angle finder.

Ie you put one end at the mini's head facing forward. Then you rotate the device to get the angle, then it has a range finder, you target on the mini.

For the number of table-top etc gamers this would be awesome.

I think you just described a tape measure. Although there's no need to rotate it or take angles.