GTKY: November/December Question Thread

TaleSpinner

You read that right; apparently y'all get me for a double header.  This should be interesting.

Rules:  

Who are we kidding, we really don't have rules now do we.  Answer what you like and have fun.

I "should" have a question up weekdays by 8:00 am Central Time.  If I do not have one up by 10:00, my life is going nuts at work or otherwise and one of you should feel free to jump in and throw a question up.  

I will not post questions on the Weekends.  I'll try to add a Weekend Quest question on Fridays.

• Like 4

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

You read that right; apparently y'all get me for a double header.  This should be interesting.

Rules:  

Who are we kidding, we really don't have rules now do we.  Answer what you like and have fun.

I "should" have a question up weekdays by 8:00 am Central Time.  If I do not have one up by 10:00, my life is going nuts at work or otherwise and one of you should feel free to jump in and throw a question up.  

I will not post questions on the Weekends.  I'll try to add a Weekend Quest question on Fridays.

First question:

Why do you come to these forums/what do they mean to you?

Having the social life of a Trappist Monk has something to do with it. The main reason is to show what I am working on & what I have completed; it stops my stuff from going into storage unseen by anyone but myself & , now, my kitten...he is mostly interested in swatting things.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I come here because I like it here, I hope people I have interacted with here in the past will turn up again, I want to know what is going on with Reaper and prefer to find out here, and the forum encourages me to partake in a hobby I don’t want to give up. 

Also, this forum is one of the few places I regularly check on the net . . .

…that is not festooned with and obfuscated by Ads or Paywalls. 

Edited by TGP
wurds, out of order, tsk, tsk
  • Like 15

35 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

(Repost in a more quote friendly form.)

I joined the forum when Bones 1 launched.  I had lurked through the showoff and WIP's prior to that.  

I came for the painting and found friends.  My painting hobby is supported vicariously through the Showoff and WIP's still.  I feel a connection to this group of people; several I have been fortunate enough to meet in person at ReaperCon.  ReaperCon feels like old home week when I attend and this forum fills the time in-between.

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

This is my happy place. Everyone is so friendly and positive. I love seeing other peoples' take on the minis I bought and I love seeing what they do with ones I haven't decided on how to paint yet. I do feel like I've gotten to know real people from all over the world, and I learn about their customs or professions. I love that it really feels like a community where anyone who likes minis will be welcome. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Because y'all put up with me?

Just kidding. I came here for the mini painting and am still here for that. But turns out I also like participating in occasional conversation with other mini painters in a well moderated environment. That last bit it is pretty rare these days. 

I also like having a venue to show off the rare finished mini that isn't full of weird trolls (unless of course you're showing off your painting of a weird troll, which is perfectly acceptable) being nasty about your every mistake. I just need to work up the confidence to do so more frequently. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I discovered this place almost by accident. Then discovered that it is remarkably free from nastiness and bickering. I have made several genuine friends here. So the minis are secondary to the folks here.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't have anywhere or anyone in the "Real" world to share my love of the hobby with.

And y'all are much friendlier than any other forum I've found!

• Like 11

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I was here a little bit many, many years ago when looking for painting tips. I really started spending more time here with Bones 1. First for information and then to share my own things. Like others have said this is one of the friendliest forums I've come across. Even though I've never met any of you in person and maybe never will there are many that I like , respect and enjoy reading the posts. I have a few friends and and acquaintances that are into minis and games but with adult life and the world's wierdness lately we rarely get together. So forums are where I get my hobby fix and shares things with like minded people. It's a break from the many things we all have to deal with daily in our lives. 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I stumbled along these forums after seeing a reference to Bones 1 KS on another forum I was on. I started lurking here for a while, and then finally stepped out of the shadows after seeing what a nice place this was. This is probably the friendliest place I've encountered on the 'web, so I like hanging out here. Being able to post whatever I'm working on, no matter the manufacturer, is a big plus, too. I've made a fair number of friends here, and I've even been able to get together to hang out with some of them in real life, too. This place allows me another way to communicate with them in between being able to get together in person, either at Reapercon, or at someone's house or nearby FLGS.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I blundered in at some point after meeting Bryan, while he was still ReaperBryan, at Paizocon.

He (and several other people), said I should check out the forums. 

I eventually got around to visiting, poked around a bit, made a post somewhere and.. stuck. Which means I should probably get this fly-paper residue off my hands .... >.> 

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'd been lurking for a while, and finally created an account around the time we backed the Bones V kickstarter.  I still didn't post much, but I wanted to get better as a painter, and many of the other sites seemed a little intimidating.  As I poked around here, I saw that the community seemed to welcome a broader range of painters.  I dove into the waters, found them quite pleasant, and I've grown more and more comfortable as time goes on.  I'm a little sad to see the relative activity level here vs. the Discord channel, so I'm trying to split my activity between the two.  I prefer the pace and clarity of bulletin boards - Discord seems like a tool to teach attention deficit disorder.  Attending ReaperCon this year was the icing on the cake for me.  Now I see the forums as a chance to round out my interactions with the handful of people I was lucky enough to meet, while cultivating new interactions with people I'll meet next time.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Someone keeps leaving tasty treats around, so you're unlikely to be rid of me til that changes!  

Seriously though, I came 'round after/during one of the Bones Kickstarters to get more information.  Then I started looking around more and more, and since I had just purchased a minis game and was looking to start painting again (and perhaps even level up my painting skills a bit), I just kind of kept on coming back...and even posting  from time to time.

I truly do enjoy it here.  There's a reason why, when I get online for the evening FB might be my first visit but Reaper is my last.  FB is like eating my (poorly cooked) veggies, Reaper is more like dessert.  It's also why I sneak looks at the forum during the day at work instead of stress-eating all the junk out of the vending machines.

• Like 11