GTKY: November/December Question Thread

TaleSpinner

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:
10 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Snow

Tea Party (not political, historical event)

Miracle on Ice

Maple Syrup ( better than that Canadian stuff  ) ::P:

Them's fighting words.  You should try the genuine stuff, not what's sold as Canadian Maple Syrup down there.... 😛

But you also have to have it, on a stick, in February, in negative don't look we all know it's bloody cold temperatures. 

I do, I get it from the sugar house that makes syrup and candies from the sap harvested from the trees on my mom's property in Vermont.

(And yes, I have had actual real Canadian syrup, and yes, it is also very good. )

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday, Nov. 18:

What is/was your most unique pet?

Weekend Quest, Sat-Sun, Nov. 19-20:
Before and After:  Do something (clean a room, paint a mini, etc...), but be fore you do, take a picture.  Then at the end of the weekend, take another.  Post both pictures to show us the before and after.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, Nov. 18:

I only remember a few goldfishes and gerbils when we were kids. Looking back, those pets deserved better than preteens.

As an adult, I never had a pet. Living alone with weird schedules, a pet deserves better. Once I retire, I'd like a cat or two.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9

19 hours ago, ejala said:

-I-O"

I was also noticing there were a number of us. 

I knew one of you all would shout the second half of that! My wife has banned me from shouting "O-H" at random places when we travel. 

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, Nov. 18:

I once had a rottweiler/shar pei mix that was pretty unique. Imagine a massive dog with a rottweiler pattern but brown and white instead of black and brown and covered in thick wrinkles. I've seen some other rotty shar pei mixes, but never seen one with the deep wrinkles this one had. Whenever I would drive around with him I had to have the windows rolled up because if he saw something like a park he wanted to check out he would just leap out the window while we were still moving. He loved kids too. A bunch of kids at the other end of the apartments I lived in would come to my door and ask to play with the dog and he'd just follow them off. He came to us as an abandoned adult and we only had him for a couple of years until a farming friend agreed to take him to live out in the country. Which was a much better fit for a big dog than the tiny little apartment I had him couped up in. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, Nov. 18:

Probably a water dog - we had one for about a year or so when I was a kid. After that, second most interesting pet was probably the conehead lizard.

I also had a fairly cordial relationship with a large spider living in my bedroom for two years, to the point where it would willingly crawl around on my hand, but it wasn't so much a pet as the two of us peacefully cohabitating in the same space.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, Nov. 18:

I'll go with my betta, the second one.  Because boy did Tyr like watching Mythbusters, and was especially fascinated with the explosions, although he always tried to hide it... 

Before and After:  Do something (clean a room, paint a mini, etc...), but be fore you do, take a picture.  Then at the end of the weekend, take another.  Post both pictures to show us the before and after.

If you insist.  Here's my "before" pic then. 

20221115_192538.thumb.jpg.cac36bbeebad687704caf670a8ee394f.jpg

Faber Castell Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils on left, Faber Castell Pitt Markers on the right. 

• Like 7

Friday, Nov. 18:

Hmmm... I recall having a salamander for a week or so as a kid.  Turns out, they're tough to cage and even tougher to find (in a house) outside of a cage.

One of my roommates in college had a ball python.  Weirder yet was a couple that stayed a few weeks with a friend of mine.  They had a chimpanzee which itself was the primary 'handler' of one of their ferrets.  Ugh.  Monkeys shouldn't be pets.

We keep koi, and some people think that's unique, but I spend a lot of time with koi people, who think that it's not unique.

-t 

Edited by Count Urlik
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, Nov. 18:

I had a corgi, anyone who's met one knows that they have personality.

Weekend Question: I'm not sure I have the energy to even do the Before.

• Like 9

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, Nov. 18:

None have been terribly unique.  There were a couple mixed breed dogs, a gerbil, three cats, and a betta.

My brother and I would, from time to time, "acquire" a garter snake from down by the creek.  We usually only kept them a couple weeks as Pa Strawhat does not care for the legless reptiles.  At the end of the couple weeks the snake would be relocated to either a farm (actually taken to a farm--the owner worked with Pa Strawhat and would give my brother and I a small "bounty" for bringing them out) or to Grandpa and Grandma Strawhat's place.

It used to bring me a curious sense of pride when I would find garter snakes randomly in the yard (the house stayed in the family three decades after Grandpa and Grandma had passed), and  wondering if that snake was a descendent of any of the ones my brother and I relocated.

• Like 7

It seems to have finally died, but for over three years I had a fake pet rock.  A 'sham' rock, if you will.  

When younger we had guinea pigs, occasional fish, and later mom had cockatiels. Always things that could be kept confined and let out to play with under supervision.   No longer have the patience nor will to care for animals.  Plants don't move, and if you kill them from neglect, no one arrests you.  Also, you can harvest basing materials. Dried shamrock stems make good, if stiff, vines.  

There were the fruit flies from the genetics experiments for ap bio, but since I was regularly killing the adults, dumping them out of the test tubes, and counting eye and body traits, I wouldn't call them pets.  I did keep mine going the longest of the four of us in the class without them getting loose. 

• Like 7

On 11/16/2022 at 12:16 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Wednesday, Nov 16:
How often do you make your bed?

Every day.

Nothing fancy, I just pull the duvet over it.

On 11/17/2022 at 2:23 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, Nov. 17:

What one thing can you tell others about in your local area that will instantly identify where in the world you are from (other than the name of your area, obviously)?

Hmm... Nothing springs to mind, maybe the nickname of our local soccer team (They're The Tractor Boys) but I think you really need to know your soccer for that one to work.

22 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, Nov. 18:

Not mine, but my Mum had African Land Snails when I was younger.

Didn't have them very long though, she got so sad having to freeze all the eggs they kept laying.

I'll try to do the weekend bit later.

• Like 7