GTKY: November/December Question Thread

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Wednesday, Nov. 23:

If you could live anywhere in the world during the winter months, where would that be?

I'm pretty good where I am.

I wouldn't mind it being a little warmer, but there tends to be a fine line between "a little warmer" and "broccoli it's hot."

• Like 8

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Wednesday, Nov. 23:

If you could live anywhere in the world during the winter months, where would that be?

Where I live now.  I like seasons.  I can do without very hot days.  There is only so much you can take off.  Layers can make wintertime livable and fun with cross country skiing.  For many years I would go out for a few hours on Sunday to teach at a Boomerang School, no matter what the weather.  On blizzard days we generally had the place to ourselves.  The guy who ran it retired so now I disc golf.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Wednesday, Nov. 23:

Are we talking the winter months as in December, January and February, or whatever months constitute the "winter" season in the place we want to live?

Cuz if there's a place where the "winter" season happens in August and winter temps only drop to about 68 F, I'd like to live there.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Mad Jack said:

Are we talking the winter months as in December, January and February, or whatever months constitute the "winter" season in the place we want to live?

Cuz if there's a place where the "winter" season happens in August and winter temps only drop to about 68 F, I'd like to live there.

Pretty sure that exists somewhere South of the Equator. 

I think the original context of the question could be phrased where would you go to escape the cold season—whenever that is for your homebase. 

• Like 6

London.  Not for any weather reasons, although not driving in winter would be a plus, but just to visit museums, see shows on the west end, and enjoy easy public transport.  Been there about 7 weeks total in three school trips between 2000-2004.  Third time I felt familiar enough to go from the plane, drop my things at the dorm, grab a tube pass, and hop over to Leischter (sic) Square to score same day tickets to a production of Hamlet before I'd been in the country four hours. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Right here isn't too bad.

One of the very rally enthusiastic Scandinavian countries might be fun too....

Now that you mention it, I'm doubling down on Calgary because there's the Cochrane rally every year.  That was a ton of fun to do back in 2007...?  As staff, not a participant.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, TGP said:

Thursday, Nov. 24, Topic=Pie: Apple -or- Pumpkin?

(If you could only choose one or the other.)

Overall, I'm not much of a "pie guy", I'll go with apple.

Pumpkin pie made me sick once when I was a kid.

Once.jpg.2b31be7e639967c15f5e8a1ffe6cbe9f.jpg

So it's a little tough to eat now.  Put enough whipped cream on it, and I can get through a couple slices during the holidays.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, TGP said:

Thursday, Nov. 24, Topic=Pie: Apple -or- Pumpkin?

(If you could only choose one or the other.)

Never cared much for pumpkin pie, either the taste or the baby food texture.  Give me an apple pie I can bite into, with sweet-tart flavor and a flaky top crust. 

• Like 8