GTKY: November/December Question Thread

TaleSpinner

22 hours ago, TGP said:

Friday, Nov. 25: How does Thanksgiving differ now than from when you were a child?

It is very different now. 

As a child:

•it was always at my grandmother’s house

•the floor there was hardwood and it made a “clomp clomp” noise when anyone walked on it

•there were always green beans, proper stewed-in-a-sauce-pan, green beans

•grandmother made lemon pie

•the gathering was annual

•there was often a kid’s table

Now?

•my grandmother (and that house) are long gone

•nobody in the family has a hardwood floor like that

•green bean casseroles became a thing (aaaarghh)

•no one can reproduce her lemon pie (eight lemons! in one pie, how?)

•my first cousin who (like me) was one of the other kids, now hosts it every other year (but she is “grammy” to 12! grandkid-lets)

•No kids table for me anymore

•the menu isn’t always roasted Turkey and Dressing like it once was

• Like 10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/25/2022 at 3:05 AM, TGP said:

Friday, Nov. 25; (1of2): How does Thanksgiving differ now than from when you were a child?

Wow, where to begin....

Obviously being an adult now kinda takes a bit of the "magic & aura" of the holiday away. My mom would get up early & cook everything, the whole Tday spread too. I remember one year walking into the kitchen & my mom was "dancing" with the turkey - had it's wings up in the air, making it do a jig & was singing to it. :blink::lol: Tday would always just be my mom, me & the guy she married (who was a drunk @$$****! Glad she divorced him when she did & now he rots in a box somewhere). All that changed when she married someone else who in turn has been a great human being. You couldn't ask for a better person. Now this was around jr/sr year of hs, we'd go over to his parents house for the holiday. Food was great, & there was allot, turkey comas for everyone!

A bunch of years, probably 10 to 12 years ago, my father in law did something to PO my son & he hasn't talked to him or even seen him since then. We'd split the 2 holidays, Tday at the in-laws & Cmas at my parents, now we just stay home for Tday.

Now days, with the way the store does it's holiday schedule, I'm almost guaranteed to work Tday morning (you know gotta get all the loads they can in before the holiday), I come home that morning, most of the time at least a 9 hr shift & I really don't want to do anything. Which is fine by me, I guess that is anther thing that is different, back when, I actually cared about the holiday, now it's just anther day to me. I mean why eat special foods on 1 or 2 special days of the year? I guess the whole work retail for almost 30 years has taken it's toll on my holiday cheer, as it's killed my Christmas spirit as well, then again the people that shop there don't help it either. Overall thou, I'm not bothered by it.

I do still like watching the Lions play on Tday, even thou I'm not a fan, just they are part of the day & it would be a sad day in the NFL, if they were take them off for a more popular team (aka KC or Tom Brady....).

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, TGP said:

Sat—Sun, Nov. 26-27, Weekend question: What are the best and worst things about winter (for you)?

Worst? That's easy. As much abuse and damage as I have put my body through, I now Feel every weather change coming through.

Best, The beauty of fresh fallen snow [at least til I have to shovel] and the holidays Winter brings. Christmas, New Year's, even Valentine's Day, all have beautiful times associated with them.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, TGP said:

Sat—Sun, Nov. 26-27, Weekend question: What are the best and worst things about winter (for you)?

Worst are that others Hibernate at the first change in Temperature and cancel things when there are just a few feet of snow.

Best Cross-country skiing, beautiful snow falls and less crowded parks.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, TGP said:

Snow.

It's quiet, peaceful, and beautiful coming down and before anyone's had a chance to mess with it. It's also fun to play in.

It's a PITA to have to shovel and drive in.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, TGP said:

I really enjoy the drop in the number of creepy-crawlies trying to get into the house.

I do not enjoy slick roads.  It doesn't seem to snow here like it used to, but when it does happen people here seem to lose their ability to drive (which isn't very good to begin with).  I can deal with the early dark, although I'm not as indifferent about night-time driving as when I was younger.

• Like 7

On 11/25/2022 at 5:05 AM, TGP said:

Friday, Nov. 25; (1of2): How does Thanksgiving differ now than from when you were a child?

Well, for one thing, it's a whole lot more work since we normally host it. But the food is soooo much better. Love my family, but they are not very good in the kitchen. This season we took a year off from hosting since my youngest cousin didn't want to transport his unruly kids and pregnant wife (reasonable request) and instead volunteered to have it at his place. We'll be hosting again next year. The food will be a huge step up from this year.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

We don't do much field work during the winter, so I'm stuck inside more often than I like. But the lack of field work means I don't have to work as many hours, which leaves me plenty of time for my indoor hobbies. Which is kind of nice.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Pluses: Lack of bugs, my allergies are slightly better, temperatures are actually comfortable for me, beautiful snows, driving sideways.

Negatives: freezing rain, lack of daylight, hard to find a day warm enough to spray anything with a rattle can.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2022 at 10:56 AM, TGP said:

Thursday, Nov. 24, Topic=Pie: Apple -or- Pumpkin?

(If you could only choose one or the other.)

Mincemeat!!!!

On 11/25/2022 at 5:05 AM, TGP said:

A bigger family gathering....my immediate family was 6, 4 grandparents, 1 great aunt and uncle, aunt, uncles, cousins. Then the after dinner dessert crowd use to shuffle through, family friends and neighbors for the dessert that would rival the spread for dinner.

Now it's a smaller affair, each of my brothers and sister have their own gathering.  We are 6 immediate, and then my wife's aunt and uncle.  But there are usually games after dinner.  Rad Dragon Inn after this year's Turkey dinner.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TGP said:

I love winter! I'm a polar bear at heart.  Worst thing is how the climate has changed over the years.  NE Pennsylvania doesn't get the snow fall we used to.  The worst is the lack of snow days for my kids.  They now have the ability to have a virtual day instead of a snow day.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Best-Cooler temps, less bugs, less people out at night.

Worst - Cooler temps, snow (if we actually get any) when it get too deep to just get around normally. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Best: virtually no bugs outside!  We have gorgeous views through a telescope (many lovely galaxies are visible winter time here, as well as the whole "its dark by 4pm" is useful) 

Worst: all those people in trucks who tailgate and think 4x4 means ice isn't an issue.  Also, ice. 

• Like 8