GTKY: November/December Question Thread

TaleSpinner

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, Nov 29:

If you were offered a free ride scholarship to a university and all your expenses met, would you go and what would you study?

I would have loved it! As it was, my first year of college, my Dad got sick and I had to come home and start working to take care of things til he was better. Never went back, would have loved to have gotten an Engineering Degree. But I have been blessed so much in my life, there are no regrets.

• Like 8

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/28/2022 at 8:20 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Monday, Nov 28:

In the wake of Ed Pugh's (Reaper founder and CEO) passing, what does Reaper mean to you?

Reaper was a outlet for my gaming and painting at the start replacing the vanishing Ral Parth.  Then I found ReaperCon and attended my first one in 2013.  It was like a homecoming of sorts even as a first timer.  It's a homecoming every year I get to attend and the forums here are and extension of that.  It is a great community to be a part of.

• Like 7

Tuesday, Nov 29:

If you were offered a free ride scholarship to a university and all your expenses met, would you go and what would you study?

I'm done with college in this lifetime, but scholarships would have been appreciated.  In another lifetime I'd take it and go into the sciences. 

• Like 8

I meant free and clear, like you can leave your job and go for four years and not worry about anything. You job would even still be there when you get back if you'd want it.

I'd probably become a GIA certified Gemologist and Jeweler, and get an MBA so that I could pursue my retirement aspirations as a jeweler.

Maybe Vancouver Film School then, probably for audio and/or their Foley program.  And since I get four years, I'm also plastering in one of the nearby art schools too, since VFS works in partnership with several of them, so it technically isn't cheating said system 😛

• Like 6

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, Nov 29:

If I was free to do so I would.

Back when I was looking at studying with the Open University (Before the course adviser told me it would be a waste of my time and money), I cobbled together something resembling a Xenobiology degree, I like to give that a try, or something where I studied myths and legends.   

• Like 8

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, Nov 29:

I did have a free ride scholarship. Then I got drafted. When I got out. i had interests in peruing other things besides knowledge.

• Like 8

On 11/28/2022 at 5:20 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Monday, Nov 28:

In the wake of Ed Pugh's (Reaper founder and CEO) passing, what does Reaper mean to you?

First off, returning to D&D after almost 4 decades away was a surreal experience.  I've always been artistically inclined, and I never realized how many veins of artistic satisfaction that gaming fulfilled.  Discovering the Reaper community was like stumbling across a well lit cave in a barren landscape.  The faces in the warm firelight were both new and familiar.  We spoke the same tongue, worshipped the same deities and dressed in similar tones.  

I think of Ed as a smiling face in the back, occasionally stoking the fire, calming the animals, tasting the soup and engaging in small talk.  Eventually, you realize that it was his cave and his collection of people.  He started the fire, continued to tend it when necessary, and kept everyone comfortable.  

I was really hoping to get a chance to meet him at RC22, but otherwise I have no real regrets from the experience.  I'm very thankful that Ed built this thing, and I intend to take full advantage of the opportunities he created.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, Nov 29:

I already did that once to get my current degree so...

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I meant free and clear, like you can leave your job and go for four years and not worry about anything. You job would even still be there when you get back if you'd want it.

If you put it that way I'd get a degree in mini painting and sculpting.  If someone is going to send me back to school, they could at least create a degree program for me, right?

Plus the homework assignments would help me clean out my closet.

• Like 8

Going back to college in any way would interfere with my disability loan forgiveness. And while I loved taking classes back then, the pressure to pass from the outside combined with the internal pressure to get straight a's would be too much for my anxiety riddled brain.  Had two major psychotic breaks the first time around, would rather avoid.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, Nov 29:

Probably a musical conservatory.  I suppose Berklee school or Juilliard if I wanted to be fancy about it, but really any decent program would probably be enough to meet my needs.  I'm pretty much full up on the 'technical' life, and I've had plenty of scientific training.  But, on the other side, most of my musical skills have been 'self taught' (a total misnomer, FWIW).  I'd love a chance to focus on formal music training, primarily performance, and I almost don't care which instrument.

Edited by Count Urlik
  • Like 8

On 11/28/2022 at 8:20 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Monday, Nov 28:

Anyone who has a cat who wants to perch on their shoulders must be a fine person & surely will be missed.

Other than Sandy Garrity, I really don't know any of the Reaper Nabobs. I have always liked Reaper's minis, AND there are quite a few folks that haunt this forum who I am genuinely fond of & a couple of Mods who I am not fond of at all.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, Nov 29:

Yes, I would go.

I don't know if I'd do something like digital art (to learn sculpting) or advance my current career-related knowledge.

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Is there a Reaper University? Because that.

I have a notebook from there.  I don't think they do four-year programs, though.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, strawhat said:
8 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Is there a Reaper University? Because that.

I have a notebook from there.  I don't think they do four-year programs, though

4(?) day intensive programs once a year, with online learning on twitch year round. 

Four years of Full ride with allowances for school supplies, travel, room, and board included for the in person classes I'd take. 

• Like 7