GTKY: November/December Question Thread

TaleSpinner

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, Dec. 1:

Do you bake holiday treats, and if so, what and when do you do it?

I don't but my wife does.  It varies by year as to how much she wants to do.  Most of it takes place in the first half of December (sometimes in late November, when she doesn't have to take care of a post surgery husband).
She wants to have it all done early enough that she can send some goodies to the boy in Calgary in his Christmas box.

She mostly does cookies, sometimes fudge or squares like rocky roads, and sometimes chocolate truffles.

• Like 7

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, Dec. 1:

For myself, normally no. If I bake treats, I will devour said treats within 48 hours.

When I do it, I'm probably at my mother's place for the holidays and we're hosting something.

I wonder if we'll try mulled wine again this year.

• Like 8

On 11/30/2022 at 4:44 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Wednesday, Nov. 30:

What is your favorite movie or book quote? 

(Bonus points if you can deliver it in meme form.  😋)

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

I love strange reads, and I remember how that sentence hit me like a brick.  I loved it so much I memorized it…

• Like 8

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, Dec. 1:

Yes. We make all manner of cookies most years for the holidays. This year is looking like it will be a busy cookie year as well. I got started the night before Thanksgiving with about 20 gluten free chocolate chip cookies and around a 100 chocolate chocolate chip cookies. They didn't last the weekend. We typically make those cookies, Mexican wedding cookies, nut rolls, cheese rolls, bourbon fudge balls, rum balls, truffles, chocolate lace cookies, peanut butter cookies, molasses cookies (in the shape of a moose), decorated sugar cookies with homemade icing, meringue kisses, and pretzel cookie dough sandwiches dipped in fudge. That's the normal cookie spread. We also will probably look up two or three recipes we've never tried and make those as well. And just this once we're making a lime and pistachio cheesecake because my cousin begged my wife for one.

We'll get started about two weeks before Christmas with the ones that freeze well (all cookies freeze, some just better than others) and will continue up until about two days before the holiday. Most of these will get boxed up and given to friends and family. Some of them will go to family meals. And whatever is left over will get put in a Ziploc bag and left in the lunchroom at work. Needless to say, we're very popular around the holidays. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, Dec. 1:

Sometimes, if I'm in the mood, have the energy, and remembered to get the ingredients.  I used to make half a dozen or more different kinds of cookies each year in the winter,  but every year it gets more expensive, more of a hassle, more tiring, and less appreciated.  At my age all my friends are diabetic, on diets, or have allergies. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I don't but my wife does.  It varies by year as to how much she wants to do.  Most of it takes place in the first half of December (sometimes in late November, when she doesn't have to take care of a post surgery husband).
She wants to have it all done early enough that she can send some goodies to the boy in Calgary in his Christmas box.

She mostly does cookies, sometimes fudge or squares like rocky roads, and sometimes chocolate truffles.

You reminded me that I kind of miss getting peanut brittle, almond brittle, some cookies and snack mix from the parents (the name of which I have apparently forgotten - nuts and bolts, I think).  And my chocolate letter, that for decades was parental tradition (plus Reese Peanut Butter Eggs) 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, Dec. 1:

I do not.  Mostly because I don't think I've ever met a cookie I didn't like: if I had the power of manufacture as well as the love of the product...That would be bad.

Mrs. Strawhat bakes some, as does Eldest's Husband.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I don't celebrate holidays, although I do bake stuff every now and then. As far as holiday-related stuff, I generally at least try to get around to making an Irish soda bread once or twice a year, although not necessarily for St. Patrick's Day, since that's the one time of the year when I can actually just go and buy the damn thing.

• Like 8