work desk; WIP 44160 Demonic Temptation: Succubi

kazmania7

I thought I try another WIP thread, generally I don't like to do them because in past it was a hassle to set up everything just to take a progress shot, but with a new camera now thought I give it a try. Started one on the Song of the Sirens but when I saw nudity when I came to that figure (she was the second in line) quicky dismissed that idea. So thought I'd give these a go instead. Didn't prime with zenithal like I ussually do instead just primed with a red/brown from stynylrez because of all the skin showing (at the time primed the sirens song and a couple of dancing ladies as well).

44160_w_1.jpg

P1040338.JPG

• Like 5

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time all I knew was that I wanted the standing succubus to have purple skin preferably on the light side so blacked line them all with 9507 kraken ink to get a general feel of the minis. Since she's standing and clothed, I consider her the main figure so set her aside for a kind of late step. Since the main character is going to be purple the other two were relatively easy to assume, Red of course is a must one but the other is going to be a toss up so I'll start with her first. I've painted two succubi before, Trollslayer Sophie (purple skin) and Chained Succubus which I did in my dusty drow skin and I really liked it but decided to just try a normal skin color maybe a little on the dark side. As you can see from the pic below, I grabbed 9440 ebony flesh, 9441 ruddy flesh (without even thinking - my go to colors for dark skin), an old Reaper pro color hill giant brown (ussually I use 9043 tanned shadow, hill giant is very similar in shade but more saturated the any of the tanned skin triads), and 9144 creamy Ivory. I have just recently about 3 weeks ago started to use a paint journal for the first time, even thou I don't use it all the time I'm starting to come around and liking it and as you can see from the second pic was experimenting with different mixtures of the four.

P1040499.JPG

P1040538.JPG

Edited by kazmania7
  • Like 4

So since she's all skin wasn't afraid to break out and use the air brush and just sprayed her all with a mixture of ruddy flesh and sc75 Indian shadow. Than blacklined with my fav black, golden fluid carbon black, it thins with water so smoothly the only way I can describe it. The wing membranes wanted light and generally all the same color on all three and chosen my hill giant brown color for it and based it on, later when really working on them plan on adding glazes of pink and orange into them but that will be my last step and I'll do all three of them at once. Than basically went to work on the skin put some color on the pillow and stone work to get a better feel for the skin tones using.

P1040494.JPG

P1040501.JPG

P1040508.JPG

P1040510.JPG

Edited by kazmania7
  • Like 6

Thank goodness I'm saving the wings for last, seen a mold line on the wings while posting these that's now gonna drive me crazy until I remove it. Decided wanted red hair but not dark so just used the auburn triad with a heavy focus on carrot top red and went to work on the face leaving the tiny details of a second to last step on all of them like the wings. Now time to work on the second one. Had painted her skin in all ruddy flesh, why I don't know since she's gonna be red skin but at the time didn't know what colors wanted to use for the red's, ahh but here's where the journal comes in handy. I had lined up several paint bottles in front of me that I thought might work well together like usual but now I get to experiment with them now on paper first instead of on the mini. The paint I had chosen were 9686 gothic crimsom, PP3 Sangine base, 29147 Hellborn red, 9242 carrot top red, and for the final hightlight carrot top m/w (mixed with) 9009 lemon yellow. The hair. The hair must be blue ! Not often I get to try to be cool lol, I had some VGC magic blue on my palette from the pillow so I mixed it with the hill giant brown to lighten it up and hopefully help with all the color unity of three figures, well at least two for now standing hasn't been decided on a blue dress atm but that's the plan for now at least.

P1040519.JPG

P1040513.JPG

P1040518.JPG

P1040520.JPG

Edited by kazmania7
  • Like 6

I thought that by adding the blue to the hair it might give me a better idea of the skin as I usually wait to do hair after I paint the face. And started to work the skin and face until somewhat happy with it and decided to do the jewelry gold instead of silver on her (of course da!, she has red skin I tell myself. Hello Mr. .......). Did enough on her to finally start to work on the last figure.

P1040521.JPG

P1040527.JPG

P1040530.JPG

P1040531.JPG

P1040532.JPG

P1040533.JPG

Edited by kazmania7
  • Like 7

With the standing lady you can get a glimpse of how I usually come up with my colors, that's not right, how I mostly come up with my colors. Since starting the paint journal, I been trying to eyeball a color in a pic I like or in general I just chose a reaper color and jot it down. I (this would of been my first step before the journal) next go to Paletton.com and try to replicate color and see what combos I get. And here's the good part, next I go to Reaper's power palette to see what paletton came up with. Unlike an art pic where the power palette gives you several colors of hues (that would make up shade from the various pixels together) you now get a single color with which to work from. Now let's see how close I got. In the last post she was based with 9026 violet red m/w 89501 shelyn blush as a base. The color I came up with on the paletton was 9320 Runic glow and the shade colors recommended were 9027 pale violet, 9324 sorcerous mist, 9262 blush pink, and lastly 9286 punk rock pink. The other colors I got in the triad were 9046 fair shadow and 9117 cyan blue (here's one quirk that always happen to me, I read the blue as purple but paletton always reads it a cyan) but to me it looks like 89530 desna blue which is what I'm gonna use. Not bad if I say so myself and now I have a lot of various colors I can added into the skin tone not on my original list (journal) if I want or need to. Now for the hair, again I usually do the face first but had liked the last experience doing the skin tones while having a hair sample for an overall look. To me she screamed out to be blonde, (purple-yellow contrast) so I did my usual, 9301 NMM gold shadow for the underbase (can't go wrong with a blacked yellow for under shade), and 9032 amber gold for the base. Normally I would just use 9258 blond hightlight and be done with it but decided to be funny and go for a comic style hair and started mixing 9009 lemon yellow and 9487 yellow mold into my base color. Well the joke was on me, I hate it. Later after the skin and face is done gonna go back and glaze in something like 9091 golden shadow to tone it down a way lot. Lastly I laid down a thin layer of the Desna blue on the cloth to get an overall effect on how she will look. This is all I have done on the project for now as my one hand is acting up from the nerve and muscle damage done to it which is why started the post now than later. I like the sirens on a single base and decided to do the same with these so the last pic gives me a general idea of how they will look together once finished.

P1040539.JPG

P1040543.JPG

377378623_2022-11-05(1).png

Edited by kazmania7
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Worked on standing lady's skin until was happy with it to call it done as she was the last subject. Toned down her hair (thou now after I have finished her regret the yellow hair, should of went dark red or a dark purple) and made the robes cyan for unit harmony, the desna blue just didn't seem to go well to me when all minis were placed side by side. Than went to work on the wings of all three of them finishing off each mini (or should say that I reached the point where that was all the time I willing to spend on each) as I went. The wings were the same for each mini just the final glazes were different for each one. The hill giant brown as a base than added mixtures of 29154 amaryllis pink (new color just got and wanted to try out) and 9321 red neon glow. The glazes I used were different citadel shades, pillow lady was sepia, standing lady was druchii violet and lastly carroburg crimson, note I didn't use them as a wash but a glaze adding water to them thinning the pigment down even more than lightly brushed them over. When I would come to each mini would than try to smooth out the skin more and work on any finish touch ups needed. So now that all three are done I just gotta figure out how I'm gonna base them. Have a 3'' wooden craft circle which was gonna use but it proved to be too small for me, the minis would seem cramp so I have on order a 4" and 6" wooden circles to see which is best but will have to wait for their arrival to finish off the project.

P1040557.JPG

P1040555.JPG

P1040558.JPG

P1040562.JPG

P1040563.JPG

P1040565.JPG

• Like 8

On 11/5/2022 at 11:24 AM, kazmania7 said:

With the standing lady you can get a glimpse of how I usually come up with my colors, that's not right, how I mostly come up with my colors. Since starting the paint journal, I been trying to eyeball a color in a pic I like or in general I just chose a reaper color and jot it down. I (this would of been my first step before the journal) next go to Paletton.com and try to replicate color and see what combos I get. And here's the good part, next I go to Reaper's power palette to see what paletton came up with.

That's gold!  I struggle with color composition and this is an absolutely great idea that I fear is about to sell a lot of Reaper paint to me.

• Like 3

Well my circles finally arrived so now to figure out how I want it. I had also ordered the chaos well thinking I'll add that as a prop, "let's just make sure the fool-hearty adventurer makes the right choice," as the theme would be the name of the mini's, "demonic temptation." In the end I just decided to keep it simple as the well seem to me to cluttered and I want the mini's to stand out not the base. Then I thought about having a blue bottle and a red bottle on the ground like you know, "take the red pill or the blue pill bit" but dismissed it as there was three figures, would it be confusing to the viewer and maybe they wouldn't get it. I still like having the bottle idea even thou wasn't gonna use it but how about a vase on the ground, a single vase as maybe could be construed as an offering, or even better yet how about it on a pedestal, yea that works for me so let's get painting and finish this project finally. Well, I'm finally glad this one is basically done, still have to make some inserts into the holes as I made the clay to thick so they're too deep and both sitting figures bottom wings hit the base making them tilt a tiny tad bit. Overall, I must say that after having finished, I am not really that satisfied with the look mainly because of "my poor planning."

P1040571.JPG

P1040572.JPG

P1040579.JPG

P1040582.JPG

P1040587.JPG

Edited by kazmania7
  • Like 6