I bought a learn to paint kit, help!!

Nematode

I bought an MSP learn to paint kit. After I got it home and started experimenting with the paints, I realized it had been purchased by someone else and returned, because it was missing stuff, specifically a tutorial. There’s basic stuff I don’t get like diluting paint and washes and what palette to use and who knows what else. I’m struggling. Any tips on super-newb resources for a super newb?

• Sad 3

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Nematode said:

I bought an MSP learn to paint kit. After I got it home and started experimenting with the paints, I realized it had been purchased by someone else and returned, because it was missing stuff, specifically a tutorial. There’s basic stuff I don’t get like diluting paint and washes and what palette to use and who knows what else. I’m struggling. Any tips on super-newb resources for a super newb?

If you got it at a retailer, I'd also tell them after emailing reaper above, so they know whoever returned the set didn't return it complete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

If you got it at a retailer, I'd also tell them after emailing reaper above, so they know whoever returned the set didn't return it complete.

Unless there are other signs that it was returned I'd actually assume it came from Reaper missing the tutorial. They have great customer service to replace missing things, but I've had a surprising number of missing items in sealed packages on the occasions I've ordered direct from Reaper.

• Like 2

Ok thanks for the suggestions.

I could use some more help. So I’m actually making progress with my drybrushing and washes but here’s what I’m drowning on: 

im having a hard time basecoating with MSP. I’m using a dry palette and diluting my paint and it’s watery, even with a single drop of water, it doesn’t cover, even after 3 coats. Everything I’ve read says dilute your MSP. I am missing something. Can you throw a brother a lifeline

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nematode said:

I could use some more help. So I’m actually making progress with my drybrushing and washes but here’s what I’m drowning on: 

im having a hard time basecoating with MSP. I’m using a dry palette and diluting my paint and it’s watery, even with a single drop of water, it doesn’t cover, even after 3 coats. Everything I’ve read says dilute your MSP. I am missing something. Can you throw a brother a lifeline

How well have you shaken the bottles? Do that more. And then some more.

I wouldn't dilute with water for a base coat.

Then wipe the brush off so you don't have too much on your brush. I blot my brush on a rag or paper towel after wiping it so I only have what I need. Especially if it's really thinned with water.

If you have MSP sealer a drop of that or an acrylic medium are basically paint without thr colour pigment. Those are better for a base coat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nematode said:

Check out some of Reaper's amazing artists who do daily or weekly tutorials online. If you can't catch them live, there are recordings on youtube. 

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures/schedule

RBT Pro Tips with Ann and Beyond the Kit with Rhonda are particularly good for beginners, and you can ask all the questions you want. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nematode said:

Bones figures have a problem with watered paint.  If you dilute the first coat on the mini, you are likely to have problems.

Spray Primer carries its own issues.  - interacting with bones plastic. 

Brush on primer 

or 

a layer of reapers "Liner"  paints   - I use Brown liner on almost everything as a first coat - but Blue liner works just as well. 

or undiluted first layer.  after you have one layer, diluted paint works fine. 

• Like 2

Yes, as others have said, for the base coat do not dilute your paint if you are painting on unprimed bones.  I'd also give the model a quick wash with some dish soap in warm water than let it dry just to remove any mold release or oils from handling.

• Like 2