Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

6 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Got my oil baron money today. Guess that’s groceries for the week settled. 

I'm assuming this somehow relates to your impending junket.

Care to explain that in English as spoken by those of us in rural America?

GEM

Out here is the soon to be snow covered sagebrush.

• Like 6

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

I'm assuming this somehow relates to your impending junket.

Care to explain that in English as spoken by those of us in rural America?

GEM

Out here is the soon to be snow covered sagebrush.

Inherited mineral rights to great-grandparents’ farm. They had 12 kids, who had four kids each, who had two to four kids, so the money is split into a hundred or so portions. Every three months or so, it’s enough to partially pay for one of our two grocery trips during the week. Really don’t understand how the leasing company doesn’t force a consolidation of heirs and prevent further dilution.

It’s a running gag in my family to talk down wondering about what the “poor” people are doing right now (joke being we were poor ourselves). It’s only been very recently that any wealth of any amount has been handed down, and I have been good with my own finances well before any inheritance. But the joke remains as a memory of the dearly departed. Thus, the windfall of mineral rights bears me a small amount yet I talk about myself as being an oil baron. 

Been thinking a lot about those I’ve lost lately, especially over this last Thanksgiving, and it’s put me into an odd humor. I beg forgiveness. The family tapestry unwound a lot when the top was cut. The warps scattered. I’m often sad we needed to stop at two warps ourselves, as I miss the big family get togethers, and that would have been the only way they would return.

Alas.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Inherited mineral rights to great-grandparents’ farm. They had 12 kids, who had four kids each, who had two to four kids, so the money is split into a hundred or so portions. Every three months or so, it’s enough to partially pay for one of our two grocery trips during the week. Really don’t understand how the leasing company doesn’t force a consolidation of heirs and prevent further dilution.

It’s a running gag in my family to talk down wondering about what the “poor” people are doing right now (joke being we were poor ourselves). It’s only been very recently that any wealth of any amount has been handed down, and I have been good with my own finances well before any inheritance. But the joke remains as a memory of the dearly departed. Thus, the windfall of mineral rights bears me a small amount yet I talk about myself as being an oil baron. 

Been thinking a lot about those I’ve lost lately, especially over this last Thanksgiving, and it’s put me into an odd humor. I beg forgiveness. The family tapestry unwound a lot when the top was cut. The warps scattered. I’m often sad we needed to stop at two warps ourselves, as I miss the big family get togethers, and that would have been the only way they would return.

Alas.

Thanks.

It makes sense now.

Good on you for having the fortune to be born into a family that actually has "mineral rights".

GEM

• Like 7

13 hours ago, sumbloke said:

Why yes, a parcel did arrive today...

PXL_20221129_090819790.jpg

As you're in AU, can I suggest you look into Monocure resins - I've been using them (except that my printer is currently in storage) and have been very happy with quality and cost - and they're also made here so I've never had any difficulty getting stock (usually shipped and received within a week). Their ResinAway product is also pretty good for post-print cleanup, and lasts a lot longer than IPA

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

With complicated latching and locking mechanisms

That most of the little gremlins figure out anyway.  

There were reasons beyond mom's allergies that my childhood pets were guinea pigs. 

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

As you're in AU, can I suggest you look into Monocure resins - I've been using them (except that my printer is currently in storage) and have been very happy with quality and cost - and they're also made here so I've never had any difficulty getting stock (usually shipped and received within a week). Their ResinAway product is also pretty good for post-print cleanup, and lasts a lot longer than IPA

I've got ResinAway. Bought some Anycubic resin with the printer as it was cheap during the Black Friday sale (as long as I didn't care what colours I got).

• Like 7

On 11/29/2022 at 6:19 AM, Chaoswolf said:

First day back to work after a looong weekend. 

Have a funny:

315757797_10229993907257829_5918036754124811114_n.jpg.552f2bedb3becb297d8369ba245689cc.jpg

That second plane is Fat Albert. 

He has since retired. That particular airframe has the distinction of making the very last JATO takeoff by any US military airplane. Albert used to do steep jet assist take-offs at air shows as a warm-up to the Blue Angels. But he used up the final remaining supply of JATO bottles and they are no longer made. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1