• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

They don’t import Idaho Potatoes..!

There’s like 28 varieties:

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/features/potato-variety-guide

King Edward, Jersey Royals, Cornish Kings —to name just three …kinds of potatoes, …in Britain. 

So which ones make the best Chips and Crisps?

GEM

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

This is my big concern. I have stimulants that I have to take twice a day, once in the morning and once in the early afternoon.

Not likely to be a problem.  You'll only have a small personal supply for your trip, as long as you're not sharing them around or trying to sell them nobody will care.  You have a legitimate prescription from a recognized caregiver in your home country.  Get a small pill box for your purse or day pack, and carry what you need each day.  Nobody will ask what you're taking.  People travel with all kinds of prescribed "controlled substances" every day.   Drug enforcement agencies are looking for people with suitcases full of pills, not tourists with a 10 day supply. 

Now, if you needed to buy refills, you could have some problems.  The medication may not be available in the same form, or they may be unwilling to prescribe it, after you find a doctor.... but this isn't likely to happen so don't worry about it.  

I also suggest comfortable shoes. Both of my cruises were way more active than I expected. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Not likely to be a problem.  You'll only have a small personal supply for your trip, as long as you're not sharing them around or trying to sell them nobody will care.  You have a legitimate prescription from a recognized caregiver in your home country.  Get a small pill box for your purse or day pack, and carry what you need each day.  Nobody will ask what you're taking.  People travel with all kinds of prescribed "controlled substances" every day.   Drug enforcement agencies are looking for people with suitcases full of pills, not tourists with a 10 day supply. 

Now, if you needed to buy refills, you could have some problems.  The medication may not be available in the same form, or they may be unwilling to prescribe it, after you find a doctor.... but this isn't likely to happen so don't worry about it.  

I also suggest comfortable shoes. Both of my cruises were way more active than I expected. 

Having been a long time prescription user of "controlled substances", both pain medication and meds for Migraine Control, I have been following this with interest.

The thought occurred to me you might want to ask your Doctor[s] to provide you copies of your prescriptions to have in your luggage as a "just in case" should anyone question your possession of such medications.

Also, should you find yourself in need of a refill the Ship's Doctor should be of assistance.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Having been a long time prescription user of "controlled substances", both pain medication and meds for Migraine Control, I have been following this with interest.

I suspect that between the 3 of us we could throw quite the party. 🤪

1eb4fe8.jpg.7981ec8b6e64cb4188f9758083705b35.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I am hoping to get new shoes soon enough to break them in. My current ones are just slip-ons and the non-slip ons are not the most comfortable.

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Also, should you find yourself in need of a refill the Ship's Doctor should be of assistance.

GEM

This is good to know. Thankfully, I only have 2 doctors, currently, in charge of my meds. So shouldn't be too hard to get paper copies of stuff if need be. I'm already a little hesitant because we're leaving towards the middle-end of June so I may be in between refills. Being gone 2-3 weeks does not help that feeling any.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I suspect that between the 3 of us we could throw quite the party. 🤪

1eb4fe8.jpg.7981ec8b6e64cb4188f9758083705b35.jpg

Not just a "lost weekend" but a "lost month"?

GEM

4 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I am hoping to get new shoes soon enough to break them in. My current ones are just slip-ons and the non-slip ons are not the most comfortable.

This is good to know. Thankfully, I only have 2 doctors, currently, in charge of my meds. So shouldn't be too hard to get paper copies of stuff if need be. I'm already a little hesitant because we're leaving towards the middle-end of June so I may be in between refills. Being gone 2-3 weeks does not help that feeling any.

If you talk to your doctors and pharmacist you should be able to get your refills synced up so you will leave right after you obtain refills.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It's been raining here all night, thunderstorms specifically. I don't know if that contributed or not, but I had some pretty strange dreams last night. Nothing I can share; I only remember fuzzy little snippets of them.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Are you referring to extremely bright headlights or the LED Light Bars sold as an after-market accessory?

The problem with both of these is one of the reasons I have long advocated for annual safety inspections before the license tags may be renewed.

GEM

And yes, my older eyes are definitely affected by these, even with my hundreds of thousands [now in the millions] of miles of driving experience.

Yah, Texas is one of the states that actually requires that annual safety inspection, but appearantly those ultra bright blue/white led headlights don't cause any issues with this because they're everywhere.

I routinely these days see cars wtih custom lighting that I really thought were not considered street legal.  Red lights facing foward, white lights facing backward, strobing blue lights, and more, but it seems like more and more of those regulations aren't being enforced.

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

I'll say it depends on the country.  One of my coworkers last year visited one of our offshore offices last year in the middle east, he was cautioned by our legal team that he must go through an annoyingly long approval process for his anxiety medication or he would have a problem with the customs inspection there because they didn't honor foriegn medical providers prescriptions of controlled substances.
Admittedly, neither of those are typical cruise destinations, and in my experience, at least, the entry inspections getting off the cruise ships are very, very minimial.  The cruise line itself inspects you harder on your way back on to the ship to make sure that any booze you bought gets checked in to pick back up once you get home than the ports did.  

• Like 6

Had three coworkers in the office yesterday. Four today. Out of twenty. 

Bit lonely. Everyone has work. Maybe I need to go get a coffee mug and walk around talking about how hard I am working.

/old Dilbert comic reference 

In completely unrelated news, I got 1983 stuck in my head. I have a “hobby” project where am making a timeline of my life, broken down by each year getting its own page. Using my grandmother’s journals as a source for most things since I was just 10 that year.  What’s weird and a bit disturbing is that during the summer, there were three events that happened that I remember well. But I would not have thought that they all happened the same year.

Time is funny. 

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

If you talk to your doctors and pharmacist you should be able to get your refills synced up so you will leave right after you obtain refills.

GEM

Some of them you may be able to get filled early if you explain that you will be traveling out of the country. Depends on the drug and the pharmacy, but it's worth asking. People travel all the time, they are used to it. 

All my years of travel overseas I've been stopped for the stupidest things, my laptop, shoes, handbag, hair clips, a bus ticket, etc, but never the medication. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

It's been raining here all night, thunderstorms specifically. I don't know if that contributed or not, but I had some pretty strange dreams last night. Nothing I can share; I only remember fuzzy little snippets of them.

And that dark and stormy night (that is what Snoopy called them) has turned into a cold miserable day. 

At least it isn’t freezing and the runoff will fill the reservoirs. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Friendly reminder:

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. 

You need a parachute to go skydiving TWICE.

I live across the road from an airport with a big sign advertising skydiving. I'm going to make a big sign that says: "For Sale used parachute like new never opened" and post it across the road from that one. 

• Haha 11