Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

47 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Since I am not going, I dutifully filled out my slide on what I could suggest switching to 3D printing over traditional machining

How about the part** that the machine shop skipped a step on? (From last week)

Did the full-site work stop get resolved yet?

Was it the part from **paragraph one that caused the work stop, or that spring you were having to redesign and optimize, or some other thing?

You are posting again in spite of working on a Sunday so hoping this means a few things got fixed. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw Picard and registered the word Valet I remembered a completely different kind of Valet. 

Bates from Downton Abbey

image.jpeg.d3285b735ea0d3f9be69af6410ce0247.jpeg

…a gentleman’s gentleman and all. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Winter does not want to let go.

It is currently trying to snow, the very fine flakes that will drift on the wind, but the temperature is a couple of degrees too high for it to actually stick.

Welcome to Monday.

GEM

We woke up to a fine dusting of snow; like somebody took powdered sugar to the lawn. 

I thought April Fools' Day was Saturday...

• Haha 8

Uh oh...

Pain in the A customer who won't use a distributor until I've twisted his arm enough that he's desperate just failed a credit card PCI compliance scan for his site network. 

A PCI compliance scan is where they probe your network and look for vulnerabilities that may be exploitable.  This compliance scan is about more than our point of sale - it's about the entire site network.  Even if the POS is completely secured, you can fail the scan because of something else on the network - for example, once had a site fail because they had an Xbox on their site network, but the most common reason for failures is routers that not updated and locked down enough.  

Anyway, I'm saying "Uh Oh", because this customer sent me his scan results, and based on the failures, they're not coming from his POS - they're coming from something else on his network. But I know him well enough that he's going to badger me until it's fixed, even though I can't do anything for him. Probably pissed him off that I attached the "If it's not our equipment it's not our problem" disclaimer/datasheet about site network equipment and told him to hire an IT professional. 

OK, I did give him some generic advice (like "remove any Xboxes"), but I doubt he'll leave it there. 

• Sad 7

5 hours ago, Heisler said:

We expect snow here through most of May. Don’t plant before Memorial Day unless you have a greenhouse.

Meanwhile, it will be in the mid 80's here before then, and I started tomatoes today.  They'll go in the ground in about 6 weeks. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

We woke up to a fine dusting of snow; like somebody took powdered sugar to the lawn. 

I thought April Fools' Day was Saturday...

We just had a freak burst of snow blowing in the air. It didn't stick, just blowing in the wind. Gotta love the early spring days. Eventually I'll make it out to the yards to do some clean up.....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TGP said:

How about the part** that the machine shop skipped a step on? (From last week)

Did the full-site work stop get resolved yet?

Was it the part from **paragraph one that caused the work stop, or that spring you were having to redesign and optimize, or some other thing?

You are posting again in spite of working on a Sunday so hoping this means a few things got fixed. 

That problem part is in fact on my possibilities list.

Full site stop work has morphed into a full site stop work when you get to a certain manufacturing step. So I have a few weeks. 

Different problem children. 

The spring problem child came back with an in-house delivery of October. Obviously going to an outside vendor now for expediting. But, got informed that I will have to attend an engineering board and a change control review before I can continue with a solution. 

And I am working more hours than I intended. Going to be a long week.

• Sad 9

11 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

…and a change control review before I can continue with a solution. 

And I am working more hours than I intended. Going to be a long week.

Flood or Famine

I can remember a few months back when you were not happy because you were trying to stretch three emails into a full day’s work (I paraphrase) or you were reviewing previously reviewed drawing or  or it was just really slow. 

And you were wishing for more to do. 

I fear you forgot an important principle:

Be Careful What You Wish For

• Like 1
  • Haha 7