Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

Snakes? Yup, we got 'em. Good ones that eat vermin and some other poisonous varieties of snakes and some downright aggressive ones. Water moccasins and rattlers are dealt with from a load of snakeshot or a shovel.

• Like 7

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm not scared of snakes, but I know that I do not know them well enough to know what's what, so I leave them alone if we happen to cross paths in the wild.

Voice of wisdom right there. Unfortunately Im one of those people who just have to pick up and examine nearly everything I find. Thankfully I can identify the venomous stuff. That doesn't mean I won't go poking it, but just with a little more caution. 

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I'm thinking Ash and Misty are going to be wanted for transporting/smuggle rare and exotic animals, but trying to consider what other charges might apply. 

CITES, the convention on international trade of endangered species is the human version of what you're thinking of. Seems like a space version complete with an alien enforcement bureau would be a lot of fun. The acronym could be interesting too. I'm thinking GASP, Galactic Agreement on Species Peddling. But I'm sure a few minutes thought would come up with something better. So not just criminal smuggling violations, but literally a treaty violation. 

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

I live about 14 miles from the Connecticut coastline... Between the glacial topography and the proximity to the coastline, there are plenty of small areas around here that are actually below sea level and as @Chaoswolf and @Dilvish the Deliverer can tell you, this whole area is absolutely covered in tiny swamps and bogs.

Interestingly enough, though, the huge patch of skunk cabbage I was referring to infests the bottom of a tiny gorge in a small 1-square-acre wooded area in my neighborhood - and not only do we have extremely hard water in our neighborhood wells, the small stream that flows through the gorge is connected to the drainage basins in the neighborhood about a hundred yards upstream. But the entire bottom of the 30-ft-wide gorge is covered in skunk cabbage on both sides of the stream for the entire length of it.

If the stuff was edible, we could start a neighborhood co-op and farm it, lol.

Yep, that sounds about right for skunk cabbage. Sounds like an awesome place to explore.

Fun fact, I know a few old timers that say you can eat it if you parboil it. But given it smells like rotting meat when you crush it I can't think why you'd ever try. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

CITES, the convention on international trade of endangered species is the human version of what you're thinking of. Seems like a space version complete with an alien enforcement bureau would be a lot of fun. The acronym could be interesting too. I'm thinking GASP, Galactic Agreement on Species Peddling. But I'm sure a few minutes thought would come up with something better. So not just criminal smuggling violations, but literally a treaty violation. 

Oooh, I never even thought about coming up with an acronym.  That could be real fun, if the wanted poster only referenced the crime by the acronym, such as "Wanted for GASP Violations."

Though I will have to work out something that fits the setting better than GASP and makes the crime sound more horrible than it really is.    

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Pegazus said:

@kristof65 You’ve got the normal accessories. Conspiracy, bribes, blackmail, intimidating witnesses, racketeering, forgery, bank fraud, mail fraud, impersonating a government official, espionage, unregistered foreign agent, assault, robbery, hijacking, piracy, vandalism, arson, and two counts of a lewd act with a mime and/or clown.

Since it's for Traveler you may also add "Mopery in The Space Lanes"

GEM

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Anyone know if we had any significant solar storm activity hitting western North America over the last 12-15 hours? 

Had a distributor tech call in for a site with a very specific error that means a memory card has come unseated or failed. Gave him all the troubleshooting details, and went to send him a backup for the site in case he needed it, since the one I had appeared to be newer than the one he had.  Before sending the backup, I went to load it into my test set just to be 100% sure it was for the right site.  Only to find that my test set developed the same exact problem sometime in the last 12-15 hours, and I had to fix the problem before I could load the backup.  

Fifteen hundred miles away, and the same exact memory card failure on the same night/morning.  

Probably just a coincidence, but a couple years ago we had about a dozen sites develop a similar failure over night - and then a week later I read an article about a solar storm and how it had affected several other things like phone and network equipment. 

Edit: Hmm - according to this site, probably not:
http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/data_service/space_weather/Global_activity_now.html

Most recent reported activity is from March 21st.

You may obtain a three day forecast here:

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/reports/3-day-forecast.html

GEM

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Yep, that sounds about right for skunk cabbage. Sounds like an awesome place to explore.

Fun fact, I know a few old timers that say you can eat it if you parboil it. But given it smells like rotting meat when you crush it I can't think why you'd ever try. 

We used to play in that gorge when we were little kids. Then we graduated to running around out in the woods behind the houses on the street behind mine - back in the day, you could walk from the entrance to those woods all the way to the second town over, almost 12 miles, without crossing a single road.

You'd love it around here - you could literally spend an entire summer just walking around in all the swamps and wooded areas and not even see half of them in a 40-mile radius from my house. CT is like the entire country smushed into miniature - you can find three completely different ecosystems within five minutes of each other. Coasts, mountains, swamps, forests, everything but deserts, lol. We've got dozens of snakes, spiders, and birds and larger wildlife including coyotes, bobcats, bears, and even the rare moose in the winter. 

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 9

I did the Milk River trip with the canoe club a few years back. It's a really neat area, lots of coulees and it has species you can't find elsewhere in Canada. There is a spot well-known for its petroglyphs, but kind of kept quiet so it's not vandalized that we stopped at. Some of the guys went ahead to check for snakes. They were out, sunning in abundance. There are rattlers in the valley, and they don't sound like maracas. They sound like insects, to me anyway. There was one spot we couldn't get to, because the snakes had a monopoly. I found a snakeskin that was two or three feet long, but I left it for the kids to find. That's a flippin' big snake, how do they get so big when it is -25C in the winter? 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

You'd love it around here - you could literally spend an entire summer just walking around in all the swamps and wooded areas and not even see half of them in a 40-mile radius from my house. 

Oh I believe it. I can spend a pleasant afternoon on just a few acres of woody swamps turning over old logs and looking for cool bugs. That much undisturbed woodland and I'd be out for days!

58 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I did the Milk River trip with the canoe club a few years back. It's a really neat area, lots of coulees and it has species you can't find elsewhere in Canada. There is a spot well-known for its petroglyphs, but kind of kept quiet so it's not vandalized that we stopped at. Some of the guys went ahead to check for snakes. They were out, sunning in abundance. There are rattlers in the valley, and they don't sound like maracas. They sound like insects, to me anyway. There was one spot we couldn't get to, because the snakes had a monopoly. I found a snakeskin that was two or three feet long, but I left it for the kids to find. That's a flippin' big snake, how do they get so big when it is -25C in the winter? 

We've got a few petroglyphs in southern Ohio. Folks were hammering them off the cliffs and selling them. So the remainder are now encased in some sort of bullet proof facade to preserve them. Some people just suck, good on you and your group for keeping them intact.

Regarding the insect sounding rattlers... There's currently a decent amount of research suggesting that killing them has changed the way they sound. They rattle as a warning, but unfortunately that attracts folks who just want to kill them. So the ones that rattle the loudest are the ones that get killed, and the quieter ones survive and reproduce. Which leads to quieter animals overall. Which also makes them more dangerous to people because they can't warn you away as easily. I've always found rattlers to be pretty docile though, just take care when you're in their territory and you're fine every time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Yep. I'd be worried something was wrong if I picked up that species of snake and it didn't immediately try and take off a few fingers. Wonderfully aggressive animal. There's this show that used to be on called Dirty Jobs where some guy went around and did jobs no one else wants to do for a day. I've only ever seen the one episode of it where he spent some time on a Lake Erie island helping capture and census their watersnake population. He gets bit a lot. Its quite amusing. 

I love that episode.  I laugh every time he gets tagged.

Luckily in our area there really aren't any dangerous ones.  There are a handful of dangerous types in the state, just not local...the nearest population being about an hour away (and while known somewhat locally, it's not publicized).

This reminds me of a story, though.  One year the pine snakes (I think they were pine snakes) were just about invading the local safari park.  I mean they were just about everywhere.  We saw some sunning in the trees, others swimming in the waterfowl areas, etc.  Well, one day we're heading back to the wolf pen, and there's this black shape wound through the chain link fence of the pen.  I figured it was trash at first.  It wasn't trash.  It was a snake.  I thought someone was being funny and wound a rubber snake through the links, but the more I looked (keeping a respectful distance) the more I decided it wasn't rubber.  It just didn't look like a toy even though it hadn't moved at all.

I took out the phone and got a couple pictures (just because, I've still got those somewhere) and a few other visitors notice me and start looking at the snake and debating whether or not it's actually a snake.  It hasn't moved perceptibly, but I've figured that it's taking things in and figuring out whether or not it's on our menu (and it's probably a little nervous since it's wound through all those chain links).  Someone eventually states their disbelief (it's not an illusion, you can't disbelieve!), and I warn them that it's not a prank and it's a live snake.  A couple listen to me and back up a bit, the others don't.  I head back to Mrs. Strawhat to try to find the wolves.

Then the thing moves and the shrieks start.  I didn't even come close to feeling bad.  I did laugh a bit, though!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, kristof65 said:

To me, snakes are just nope ropes. As in, NOPE, ain't voluntarily getting near them. 

So short version of my question:  If Ash Ketchum (of Pokémon) were a real person and wanted by FBI, Interpol and other authorities for crimes, what would those crimes be? 

Long version - 

One of the players in my Traveller game decided that all of her PCs family were to be modeled after various game, cartoon and anime characters.  She has an extensive document laying out things like her mother's name being Netaryi (of Avatar) and an Aunt named Kim Possible.  There are about thirty other names on there, but you get the gist.  Anyway, one of her brothers is Ash, and I recently came across a picture of a young couple in their late teens/early 20s cosplaying as Ash & Misty.   I immediately had the idea to throw the picture into a wanted poster for her to find.   I'm thinking Ash and Misty are going to be wanted for transporting/smuggle rare and exotic animals, but trying to consider what other charges might apply. 

Might want to look into illegal cock/dog fighting laws, since people setting up creatures to fight each other is basically the entire premise of the franchise. Depending on how old the Ash and Mindy in your game are, laws regarding minors might come into play. Posession of endangered wildlife without permits. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2