Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, what a week. Last week my approval meetings were pulled because my management above and two layers deep wanted me to address the existing vehicle’s possible problems of not getting the change in my change board presentation. I gently pushed back because I didn’t see how the existing vehicles were relevant to the changes for future vehicles. I lost that argument and spent last week getting that resolution into the charts. Had to do a literal kitchen counter science experiment. Seriously. I really consider trying to get approval to repeat it for elementary schools. It was that simple. 

Presented at the pre-board review last night. Slide 3 was what to do about existing vehicles. Not five minutes into the meeting and the chief engineer chimes in with, “why are you discussing the existing vehicles? This is a change board presentation. Move all of that to backup slides because it isn’t relevant”.

My manager on a previous program once passed me after a similar meeting and jokingly commented, “I don’t want to see your I Told You So face” and didn’t even look at me. Too bad it was an online meeting otherwise the face I was beaming out would have looked like that arc opening scene from Raiders. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

We're celebrating Cinco De Mayo today with a catered Mexican lunch!

(Yes, I am fully aware that this is a made up American holiday; Mexican independence day is September 16th. I will still indulge in yummy free food! ^_^)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

(Yes, I am fully aware that this is a made up American holiday; Mexican independence day is September 16th. I will still indulge in yummy free food! ^_^)

Cinco de Mayo commemorates a battle — at least that is what my addlepated remembery thingus is telling me. 

Try looking up:

Mexico “Cinco de Mayo” French

together as search terms. That might dig it up. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/nation/cinco-de-mayo-celebrates-mexican-american-culture-not-independence

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TGP said:

Cinco de Mayo commemorates a battle — at least that is what my addlepated remembery thingus is telling me. 

Try looking up:

Mexico “Cinco de Mayo” French

together as search terms. That might dig it up. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/nation/cinco-de-mayo-celebrates-mexican-american-culture-not-independence

You are remembering correctly; it is the Battle of Puebla.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

(Yes, I am fully aware that this is a made up American holiday…)

There was a real event behind it…

…the drowning of the celebrants in tequila, lime juice, and Mexican cerveza is the made-up-by-the-USA part…

A General Zaragoza and his outnumbered raggedy not well equipped Mexican soldiers kicked the collective arses of a more numerous, well ordered, fully equipped European (French) army on the Fifth of May. 

You could just as easily, but very authentically celebrate by avoiding foods and wines that are French. 

No Vino no Croissants!

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

My wife & I will be "celebrating" by going to a Chinese restaurant over across the border in Idaho tonight.

I decided to cancel my participation in the Pathfinder game tonight. I figured I've given it a go the last few weeks & no shows from the GM & other players, why not my turn this time. It's not like we haven't played since early February anyways.

• Like 7

Got frustrated with my coworkers and so called my day early. Have a designer about my age, and he’s … stuck in old ways of working. I’m trying to get him to understand how to prevent interferences via setting up dimension tolerances correctly. And he just doesn’t get it. He keeps repeating the same mistakes. So I will have to just throw in the towel and give him redlines on what I want. But that means working the weekend as that task goes across eight drawings which will take time. 

• Sad 11

2 hours ago, TGP said:

You could just as easily, but very authentically celebrate by avoiding foods and wines that are French. 

No Vino no Croissants!

Je n'ai pas pris de vin ni de croissants aujourd'hui. 😿

• Like 2
  • Haha 1