Jump to content

Randomness: the 18th sequel


Chaoswolf
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

image.thumb.png.92da199296406d8305f0dd386ff34fab.png

Tried looking this MV up on vesselfinder website. Searched on “OCTO” and there were no results matching Octopi. (There were about 30 matching the Bond story, Octopussy, and pages of vessels great and small with October in the name.) I guess it is possible a pleasure boat this big and expensive does not has an AIS transponder number. 
 

But it makes me think somebody photoshopped something. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2023 at 11:37 PM, TGP said:

I hope that this means coworker working the weekend?

 

Doom should be shared. 
 

 

That sounds like this thing that was called COMOK that operated within CATIA. But I think I remember you mentioning your outfit used ProE ? (not CATIA?)

 

But with COMOK each Engineer could stake out a defined volume within the airframe that was reserved: (my part goes here stay out!) for each drawing they were responsible for.  The COMOK server ran nightly checks to see if any parts were bumping into each other or intersecting. 

 

 


Nah, coworker will not be asked to work until I hand him instructions on what exactly I want the tolerances to be. I have already asked him once to get the tolerances to prevent the problem. He didn’t understand and simply juggled things around. As he isn’t understanding, I will direct and let him execute.

 

Was a CATIA driver for ten years, V4 and V5. Still consider it superior to Creo/ProE. Garbage CAD. Management loves the data management tools which is the only reason it was chosen as standard. Engineering strongly recommended it not be used. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today’s Tale From A Frustrated Engineer: Lack of Forethought Regarding Changing Conditions 

 

The subject is my sprinkler system. Standard spring work of having to change out two valves that decided to not survive winter. No cracks from being frozen. Just electrical giving up the ghost. Shrug it off and replace. But that’s not the problem. 
 

The copper stub coming off the house at a ninety degree angle is being torqued heavily. Why? The sprinkler system has subsided about four inches. As Colorado soil is NOTORIOUS for. But the stub is a straight piece of pipe and I do not want it loaded up like it is currently. Gonna have to cut the plastic pipe that comes off the copper one and put an s-bend in it. But why they hadn’t planned for that from the start bothers me. Sure, I guess, good enough solution for forty years. I’d be nearing 90 for a similar time span.

 

But I don’t like solutions that last mere decades. I want my home’s homeowner in a hundred years look at what I built and bask in the glory of knowing that they won’t have to deal with anything like that in their OWN lifetime. And everything for me is like that. 
 

Cars, computers, etc. I want stuff to last. A LONG time. If I had time and motivation, I would make an OS for computers call Stay-Bull. Thirty year span before the next planned iteration. It works now? It’ll work in 2053. Possibly beyond. Solid. Simple. Stable.

 

Alas. I think I wasn’t built for a disposable existence.

Edited by Pegazus
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Today’s Tale From A Frustrated Engineer: Lack of Forethought Regarding Changing Conditions 

 

The subject is my sprinkler system. Standard spring work of having to change out two valves that decided to not survive winter. No cracks from being frozen. Just electrical giving up the ghost. Shrug it off and replace. But that’s not the problem. 
 

The copper stub coming off the house at a ninety degree angle is being torqued heavily. Why? The sprinkler system has subsided about four inches. As Colorado soil is NOTORIOUS for. But the stub is a straight piece of pipe and I do not want it loaded up like it is currently. Gonna have to cut the plastic pipe that comes off the copper one and put an s-bend in it. But why they hadn’t planned for that from the start bothers me. Sure, I guess, good enough solution for forty years. I’d be nearing 90 for a similar time span.

 

But I don’t like solutions that last mere decades. I want my home’s homeowner in a hundred years look at what I built and bask in the glory of knowing that they won’t have to deal with anything like that in their OWN lifetime. And everything for me is like that. 
 

Cars, computers, etc. I want stuff to last. A LONG time. If I had time and motivation, I would make an OS for computers call Stay-Bull. Thirty year span before the next planned iteration. It works now? It’ll work in 2053. Possibly beyond. Solid. Simple. Stable.

 

Alas. I think I wasn’t built for a disposable existence.

You obviously carry what I always think of as "The Roman Engineering Gene".

That's an attitude similar to what you have expressed where you "Build For The Ages", and "Good Enough" isn't.

Can you put a concrete paver, like a 12"x12" underneath the pipe on the ground to act as a load support and load spreader?

-

We've had a similar subsidence problem from our wet winter causing all the areas where the soil was disturbed during the development of our property to sink and compact.

Driveway is going to require several tons of gravel added to all the areas where the utility lines were run from the street to the house, which has a setback of roughly 200 to 250 feet.

Every place I have walked the ground is much softer than last fall. 

It has even affected the Railroad Museum.  We have several "slow orders" in place until the spring runoff ends.  Even though all the trackwork has followed the Railroad Locating Engineers Prime Directive for the top three items to consider and design for, that being Drainage, drainage, and drainage.

GEM

27 minutes ago, Corsair said:

image.png.254d7aa0ea2b0e1b75588399451ccd41.png

Only until the Top Sergeant looses his patience with the Butter Bar.

GEM

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

 

Can you put a concrete paver, like a 12"x12" underneath the pipe on the ground to act as a load support and load spreader?

 


I’ve put a brick so far, but the problem is that the lines have also subsided which limits how far I can pull up the valves. Gonna cut the main line, let the valves settle, then splice between the cuts. I would really like to put a foot of flexible pipe there. Have to check if that’s even a real product.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
On 5/3/2023 at 2:29 PM, buglips*the*goblin said:

 

Hey, I thought you were supposed to be the nice one.  

 

Also, I suppose that I should note that since I am completely unable to do things like a normal person, the astute among you will have noticed the Demoncaster is left-handed.  This is because. naturally, I am left-handed (though I prefer to think of myself as sinister).  Now so far this makes sense, right?  You're left-handed, you play left-handed.  Except the problem with that is that your choices become very limited.  Basically every time I look at a nice new guitar it's almost always right-handed.  This is the same problem every other lefty runs into. 

 

My sister is a leftie, so I vicariously experienced this frustration (I do recall her taking a guitar class; I don't know that I ever asked her whether she tried playing right or left).

 

What is amusing, though, is that for some reason whenever the two of us use playing cards, she holds and deals like a rightie, while I hold and deal like a leftie. No idea why we did this.

 

However, it did mean that when I decided to start learning how to do card tricks a few months back, I abruptly ran face-first into the realization that I would either have to unlearn a few decades worth of card-handling habits (and I have played A LOT of cards), or else learn how to mirror everything in the books I bought. I've put it on hold for a bit while I try to decide which would be ultimately less painful.

 

 

7 hours ago, Pegazus said:

But I don’t like solutions that last mere decades. I want my home’s homeowner in a hundred years look at what I built and bask in the glory of knowing that they won’t have to deal with anything like that in their OWN lifetime. And everything for me is like that. 
 

Cars, computers, etc. I want stuff to last. A LONG time. If I had time and motivation, I would make an OS for computers call Stay-Bull. Thirty year span before the next planned iteration. It works now? It’ll work in 2053. Possibly beyond. Solid. Simple. Stable.

 

Alas. I think I wasn’t built for a disposable existence.

 

Amen! MrBoot and I are currently dealing with the consequences of such an attitude, since either the previous owners of our house, or the house-flipper that owned it before them, did not have a long-term attitude toward the roof replacement they had installed. So even though the roof is well under a decade old, we're now in the middle of having it replaced by a competent company. It's never a good thing when you overhear experienced tradesmen grumbling about an entire layer of roof that's simply missing, or puzzling over the thought-process behind why the nails were placed where they were, or why roofing nails weren't used. :blink:

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

  • Like 4
  • Sad 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

 

My sister is a leftie, so I vicariously experienced this frustration (I do recall her taking a guitar class; I don't know that I ever asked her whether she tried playing right or left).

 

What is amusing, though, is that for some reason whenever the two of us use playing cards, she holds and deals like a rightie, while I hold and deal like a leftie. No idea why we did this.

 

However, it did mean that when I decided to start learning how to do card tricks a few months back, I abruptly ran face-first into the realization that I would either have to unlearn a few decades worth of card-handling habits (and I have played A LOT of cards), or else learn how to mirror everything in the books I bought. I've put it on hold for a bit while I try to decide which would be ultimately less painful.

 

 

 

Amen! MrBoot and I are currently dealing with the consequences of such an attitude, since either the previous owners of our house, or the house-flipper that owned it before them, did not have a long-term attitude toward the roof replacement they had installed. So even though the roof is well under a decade old, we're now in the middle of having it replaced by a competent company. It's never a good thing when you overhear experienced tradesmen grumbling about an entire layer of roof that's simply missing, or puzzling over the thought-process behind why the nails were placed where they were, or why roofing nails weren't used. :blink:

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

 

Trade you. Ours decided they didn't need to secure the pieces of wood that they used to plug the gap between roof and frame. 

I didn't discover this until I'd been finding random pieces of two-by-four scattered around the yard for a year and a half or so...... 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2023 at 10:33 AM, Chaoswolf said:

may-the-4th-meme-solo.png.webp.a64fb0dde0f3542c331b466a4726005f.webp

You know, they have had Star Wars games using D6s, they have had Star Wars games using D20s. They have had Star Wars games using d10s.

Why the heck has no one listened to Obi Wan, he told us: Use D4s, Luke. Use D4s....

 

The Auld Grump

On 5/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, Chaoswolf said:

Seaside-Animal-Hospital.webp.c4807b06b136e4b56b59fb1c0d59e798.webp

 

Not if there is any Retriever in the mix.

Sammy's only half, but his reaction to the smell of a strange dog is that somewhere there is a friend that he hasn't sniffed yet. He will circle, snuffling happily, tail awag.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 3
  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...