Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Amen! MrBoot and I are currently dealing with the consequences of such an attitude, since either the previous owners of our house, or the house-flipper that owned it before them, did not have a long-term attitude toward the roof replacement they had installed. So even though the roof is well under a decade old, we're now in the middle of having it replaced by a competent company. It's never a good thing when you overhear experienced tradesmen grumbling about an entire layer of roof that's simply missing, or puzzling over the thought-process behind why the nails were placed where they were, or why roofing nails weren't used. :blink:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

Screws. There were wood shingles where the ends were held down by SCREWS. Not under the next higher shingle mind you. AT THE END. Where the water will travel. I think he went up there with The Jar and used whatever was in it rather than replacing a shingle. 

• Sad 9

12 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Amen! MrBoot and I are currently dealing with the consequences of such an attitude, since either the previous owners of our house, or the house-flipper that owned it before them, did not have a long-term attitude toward the roof replacement they had installed. So even though the roof is well under a decade old, we're now in the middle of having it replaced by a competent company. It's never a good thing when you overhear experienced tradesmen grumbling about an entire layer of roof that's simply missing, or puzzling over the thought-process behind why the nails were placed where they were, or why roofing nails weren't used. :blink:

I have seen some real head-scratchers done by semi-competent home DIY-ers.   A friend of mine bought an older house and was mystified by a wall switch that seemed to do nothing.  They eventually traced it to an electric wire that ran unshielded and ungrounded across their back yard.  Yup, live household voltage running through the grass.... 

Another friend is doing reno on a house that was converted to a church with a large add-on, now being turned back into a home.  The floor of the newer space was held up by unsecured 2x4s.  No cement foundation, no cross beams.  The plumbing for the new restrooms was a hodge-podge of metal, pvc, and plastic tubing, none of which was up to code, and was attached to the wall along the baseboards.... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

33 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I have seen some real head-scratchers done by semi-competent home DIY-ers.   A friend of mine bought an older house and was mystified by a wall switch that seemed to do nothing.  They eventually traced it to an electric wire that ran unshielded and ungrounded across their back yard.  Yup, live household voltage running through the grass.... 

To be fair to DIYers, I've seen similar things done by "professionals". 

Bought a brand new condo in the 1990s.  After about 3-4 years of ownership, a light in our laundry area stopped working. Started troubleshooting, found no power to the switch at all. Couldn't figure out which breaker was controlling it in the panel.  It wasn't too big of a deal - the laundry area was basically a closet off the kitchen, and had plenty of light from the kitchen, so it wasn't a priority to me.  Then all of a sudden one day a few months later, it started working again - the same day the new owners moved into the condo next door.  Finally realized that the power for this light was being fed by somewhere in their unit and their breaker panel, and the only reason it stopped working was because the power to that unit got shut off when the previous owners were evicted during foreclosure. 

Never did bother to tell anyone or try and get the builder to fix it. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

To be fair to DIYers, I've seen similar things done by "professionals". 

I love watching the "WTF" videos that home inspectors sometimes post on the various video sites.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 8

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm about to lose it on a customer. 

So many of our customers like to use a credit card processing company that'll I'll call Money Monsters, or MM.   Thing is, our equipment cannot be programmed to talk directly to the MM servers, so MM has to set up an intermediary account with another processor we can use, whom I'll call Worldwide, or WW.    So it goes like this when a credit card is swiped:

Car Wash Teller > WW > MM > Bank

Anyway, someone - not sure who - either the car wash owner or their rep at MM - made some changes to their accounts that resulted in the account at WW being closed at the beginning of March.   As a result, any credit card transactions our teller tries to process were being declined.   It took about 3 weeks to diagnose this, at first because we couldn't get remotely connected to the site, and secondly because they were talking with our most junior tech, and he didn't know what to look for.  Anyway, at the end of March it was escalated to me, and I discovered that transactions were all being declined with the error "Invalid Merchant ID."  

I tell them what the problem is, I tell them what they have to do to get it fixed - it's not something we can fix, it has to be fixed on the WW side.  Oh, important to note that there is no way in the equipment to see if the WW account forwards onto MM or not. The customer is supposed to know who their processor is.  I tell them "You need to call your processor and find out why the account is coming back as invalid."  I put the system into an offline mode, and told them that they needed to rush on this, we shouldn't run the system in an offline mode for more than a couple weeks at most. 

So apparently for the last month, the car wash has been bouncing back and forth between their reps at MM and our Service manager.  Or Service manager is telling them what they need to do to get if fixed, but the reps at MM keep confusing us with yet a third processing company that has a name similar to our company - a processing company that has only existed for about half the time the company I contract to has existed. 

Today the call gets handed back to me, because the SM is busy. I'm told to call a woman I'll call Maxine, but neither of the numbers I'm given for Maxine are actually to Maxine.  I finally get ahold of Maxine via email, and I'm now rehashing everything that the service manager has already gone over with her and her boss.  She's insisting that I try programming the MM account number she was given into our equipment - I can't do that because a) it has too many digits and b) it's only one number - I actually need a set of two numbers to program in for WW. 

To further add to my frustration, this is one of those Canadian car washes that is still on mag stripe, and has no equipment ordered to upgrade to chip & tap before the Oct 2023 deadline in Canada. 

They're getting frustrated and upset because their system is taking credit cards and they aren't getting paid for them and want us to fix it for them, but it's not something we can fix until we get the correct numbers. I ended my last email with "at this rate, you might be better off just replacing your equipment with chip & tap, since you have to in 5 months anyway.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

I love watching the "WTF" videos that home inspectors sometimes post on the various video sites.

When my parents & sister were building their home, I was doing a lot of the electrical for them, and the county building inspector told us that he prefers to work with homeowners acting as their own contractors over developers and their subcontractors. His reason was because most homeowners will usually try to do it right or fix it if it's not right, while licensed sub-contractors will often try to get away with shortcuts, especially if they are familiar with what the inspectors usually look for.  This was right after he scolded me for a couple of temporary things I had done (fixtures hadn't arrived, so temporary $2 bulb sockets were used). 

He could have failed us on it, but he let us slide because he still had a final inspection to come back for, and warned us he'd fail us then if it wasn't fixed.  They were fixed. 

• Like 8

Glitterwolf;

By name, I am now Peter Kris...but in my heart I am still { catdancer )...but for fear of causing problems between my old account and this new one...I do not use that name here...although I would really like to.

Old members...new members...I would love to have your friendship and/or following...it makes the heart feel good seeing those varied icons as followers!

Peter

• Like 11

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm about to lose it on a customer. 

So many of our customers like to use a credit card processing company that'll I'll call Money Monsters, or MM.   Thing is, our equipment cannot be programmed to talk directly to the MM servers, so MM has to set up an intermediary account with another processor we can use, whom I'll call Worldwide, or WW.    So it goes like this when a credit card is swiped:

Car Wash Teller > WW > MM > Bank

Anyway, someone - not sure who - either the car wash owner or their rep at MM - made some changes to their accounts that resulted in the account at WW being closed at the beginning of March.   As a result, any credit card transactions our teller tries to process were being declined.   It took about 3 weeks to diagnose this, at first because we couldn't get remotely connected to the site, and secondly because they were talking with our most junior tech, and he didn't know what to look for.  Anyway, at the end of March it was escalated to me, and I discovered that transactions were all being declined with the error "Invalid Merchant ID."  

I tell them what the problem is, I tell them what they have to do to get it fixed - it's not something we can fix, it has to be fixed on the WW side.  Oh, important to note that there is no way in the equipment to see if the WW account forwards onto MM or not. The customer is supposed to know who their processor is.  I tell them "You need to call your processor and find out why the account is coming back as invalid."  I put the system into an offline mode, and told them that they needed to rush on this, we shouldn't run the system in an offline mode for more than a couple weeks at most. 

So apparently for the last month, the car wash has been bouncing back and forth between their reps at MM and our Service manager.  Or Service manager is telling them what they need to do to get if fixed, but the reps at MM keep confusing us with yet a third processing company that has a name similar to our company - a processing company that has only existed for about half the time the company I contract to has existed. 

Today the call gets handed back to me, because the SM is busy. I'm told to call a woman I'll call Maxine, but neither of the numbers I'm given for Maxine are actually to Maxine.  I finally get ahold of Maxine via email, and I'm now rehashing everything that the service manager has already gone over with her and her boss.  She's insisting that I try programming the MM account number she was given into our equipment - I can't do that because a) it has too many digits and b) it's only one number - I actually need a set of two numbers to program in for WW. 

To further add to my frustration, this is one of those Canadian car washes that is still on mag stripe, and has no equipment ordered to upgrade to chip & tap before the Oct 2023 deadline in Canada. 

They're getting frustrated and upset because their system is taking credit cards and they aren't getting paid for them and want us to fix it for them, but it's not something we can fix until we get the correct numbers. I ended my last email with "at this rate, you might be better off just replacing your equipment with chip & tap, since you have to in 5 months anyway.

Sounds to me like you need to develop a publishable list of "Known Problematic Credit Card Processors", with a synopsis of the reason why this processor is on the list.

Possibly pair that list with a list of "Recommended Credit Card Processors" who you know interface properly with your equipment and don't have a predilection for blowing up the system on a regular basis.

Best of Luck my friend.

GEM

8 minutes ago, Peter Kris said:

Glitterwolf;

By name, I am now Peter Kris...but in my heart I am still { catdancer )...but for fear of causing problems between my old account and this new one...I do not use that name here...although I would really like to.

Old members...new members...I would love to have your friendship and/or following...it makes the heart feel good seeing those varied icons as followers!

Peter

Done! and welcome back.

{Now where did I put that Sterno Can and the BBQ Lighter?]

Can't give a proper "warm welcome" without some way to heat stuff up.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Haha 1