Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Thoramel said:

My wife is at a stormwater conference and just sent me this picture...

received_943201753547323.thumb.jpeg.563fa478286d7aeb5e5a79aa70888dcb.jpeg

It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but that's a Volvo excavator with less than 60 hours on it.

Just to clarify, that photo on the left is one of these buried in muck up to the cab:

img.jpeg.819d037b6849a74b9ad98d871f5cb0bf.jpeg

I've seen plenty of trucks lost to careless driving in wetlands. But never anything quite so expensive.

So is there no possible way to recover it? 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

Suppose the lowest bid for the recovery operation is $365,000 but the machine new only cost $153,570** ??

Worse, what happens if the place it is stuck in is important enough that EPA laws require you dig the machine out?

(**I found a listing for a similar machine with only 827 hours on it for 99K. The machine in Thoramels post only had 60 hours use.)

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

The owner probably just brought in a bigger excavator and hauled it out. Those things are pretty durable. I've seen a couple get submerged completely and they run just fine once you clean them up. And fix any damage. Which they were probably hoping to avoid on a machine that new. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

The owner probably just brought in a bigger excavator and hauled it out. Those things are pretty durable. I've seen a couple get submerged completely and they run just fine once you clean them up. And fix any damage. Which they were probably hoping to avoid on a machine that new. 

Worst case situation they have to bring in great big air bags and crane/winch the dead machine onto the bags then float/tow it to more solid ground.

Upright it, hose it out/off then do an assessment.

Then the company beancounters and the insurance adjuster get to haggle.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This:

DSCF0070.thumb.JPG.46d0299ed1371bab24429a9c9f7e55b6.JPG

[Not the golf cart] is what I spent today practicing running, and acting as Conductor/Brakeman for.

We had two school groups at the museum, 97 5th graders from the Reno area in the morning, and a couple dozen similar aged kids from the Las Vegas area in the afternoon.

Teacher said the Las Vegas group flew up and they are visiting other sites on their field trip.  IMHO smart move, as it's a circa 8 hour ride each way over US 95 to get from our area to the Las Vegas area.  The afternoon group had the opportunity to learn how to operate a manual turntable for Railroad Equipment as their run was our final run for the day.

Fun times, but I'm pooped out.

GEM

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

I do not get this at all! Please explain it to me.

Bald head and clean shaven Captain Pickard [spell mangler wants to change this to Packard] has been juxtaposed with full head of hair and beard First Officer.

Compare that with the bread joke pics.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
Tentacles
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2