Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Am I the only one who actually finds it MORE frustrating when something fails without throwing an error?

Nope! Errors with no explanation suck. 

I once managed to get our CAD software to throw an error that was in French. Dassault (the software company) was stunned. That wasn’t supposed to be an error message that anybody other than the programmers in a defined test environment should get. 

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Am I the only one who actually finds it MORE frustrating when something fails without throwing an error?

If it fails, with an error, I feel like there is a chance it is fixable. I can either figure it out my own damn self, OR, I can hand it to someone more knowledgeable, and tell them, 'it did this. I did these things in response, and it is still doing this. Can you help?', but if it doesn't throw an error, it's just ... not working. I don't know why. I don't know what's wrong. I don't know if it can be fixed. It's just. NOT. '

ARGH! And now I am late. Whee!

Definitely not!

of course, quite frequently the reason it has failed without throwing an error is because the program doesn't consider what has caused the error to be an error because it's a programmatically valid input, just when it has that input it can't do the next process and the developer hasn't put a check in to make sure...

2 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Nope! Errors with no explanation suck. 

I once managed to get our CAD software to throw an error that was in French. Dassault (the software company) was stunned. That wasn’t supposed to be an error message that anybody other than the programmers in a defined test environment should get. 

Love it when that happens

Obviously they hadn't done the cat test

Edited by ratsmitglied
  • Like 8

46 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

The only thing more frustrating than not throwing an error is when you're doing tech support and the customer fails to accurately note the error message/code.

I mean, for some things, it's understandable - it wasn't on the screen long enough, it was a one time thing, stuff like that I get.  But when you're trying to help people troubleshoot ongoing problems, and they make no effort to get accurate data...<grrr> 

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I personally like this one and am always amused when I get it. The only computer I could do that on doesn't have a built-in camera, and the camera I would have plugged into the USB port is usually not plugged in so I can use the port for the 3D printer. Yay hobbies!

These amuse me the most when they say something like "as you can see, I emailed you from your own email address using your password".   Um, no you didn't, because the email address you used is a forwarding address, and that's not my email password, but thank you for telling me which company's compromised database you got my email from. 

I have my own domain with unlimited forwarding addresses, so I set up a custom forwarding address for every online account I have.   Those forwarding addresses in turn point to my real email address.  So when those emails come from some place like [email protected] or [email protected], then I know where to go change my email and passwords. 

Would work a lot better if my cousin hadn't have merged her personal email contact list with that of the charity she used to manage, and then sold the list to another charity that got hacked.  Now my personal email address is out there, too. 

• Sad 9

55 minutes ago, TripleH said:

image.thumb.png.de2c1c9bfc1348ba0cce291996073442.png

Either the armature, that is the trunk and branches, shipped as a separate package or you are going to have real tricky time getting the needles out of the package without having a certain amount of "disruption of packing order" taking place in order to get to the bottom layer of packaging.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

CATIA !!

The version I remember had command prompt choices that were in this weird shorthand we liked to call Franglish.  

I wouldn’t have blinked at an error message in full-on Francais. 

But I wasn’t a power user—the most I was graced with was a dreaded:

ABEND

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

That does make it harder to figure out. 

How about the instances where code delivers a false error message?  It misdirects, like so:

…Fault on Line 17…

But the problem is actually on line 16. What needs fixing is one line previous. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Given the name of the software, this is funny. 

From some UAT training I was doing at one point - the trainer specifically said that you should test what happens with random mashing of the keyboard, to represent either a cat or toddler

She also mentioned that in some cases the head/keyboard test is also a good thing to test with

1 hour ago, TGP said:

That does make it harder to figure out. 

How about the instances where code delivers a false error message?  It misdirects, like so:

…Fault on Line 17…

But the problem is actually on line 16. What needs fixing is one line previous. 

Love those ones

even better when the error is in the library that line 16 is referring to and you don't have access to fix it...

• Like 7

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I have my own domain with unlimited forwarding addresses, so I set up a custom forwarding address for every online account I have.   Those forwarding addresses in turn point to my real email address.  So when those emails come from some place like [email protected] or [email protected], then I know where to go change my email and passwords. 

I knew there was a reason I liked you. Same domain trick here. Rockler and LastFM are on the naughty list.

5 hours ago, TGP said:

CATIA !!

The version I remember had command prompt choices that were in this weird shorthand we liked to call Franglish.  
I

Yup! I was a V4 driver then a V5 missionary. Converted many grey beards after they snickered at all the rework they thought I would have to, when instead I simply updated the parameters and hit rebuild. 

My favorite Catia=French revelation was for surfacing. The negative side of the surface was blue and the positive side was red. That seems wrong until one lays an x axis on the French flag with zero in the middle white striped. Blue on the left (negative) and red on the right (positive) side. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3