Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding to the post-con horror stories....   DH tried to log into work yesterday only to find out his account was locked and he was no longer considered an employee.  Turned out while we were on vacation someone said he "was gone", and someone else assumed that meant he'd been fired and started the exit processing.   But it seems like everything has been fixed as of this morning. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Here is the entirety of a customer email to service this morning:

Hello,

I have started getting a tremendous number if emails. I do not know what they are, nor why I s as m getting them. Could someone please advise?

Regards,

<name redacted>

No specifics on what kind of emails No sample email for us to look at. No site name/location.  No last name.   No contact information other than the email address it was sent from.  The sending email address  tells us a little bit when cross referenced with our database, but not which of the multiple locations associated with this service email address. 

I swear I'm going to start day drinking. 

Send back an email saying, " They are emails. You are getting them because someone sent them to you. You should delete them." :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

That sounds justified.  For a lot of the people here, actually.  I sympathize with all of you.

The worst I had to deal with post-ReaperCon was an exhausted and irritable wife, because she had to deal with four kids alone for four days.  Her parents were supposed to be here to help, but they canceled at the last minute when my son tested positive for Covid a week before I left.  Fortunately, that should be a temporary problem; it just means I should refrain from mentioning ReaperCon 2024 in her presence for at least a couple of months.  That is not nearly as bad as the other stories on here, so I am thankful for that.  (Now events in my life after last year's ReaperCon are a whole other story...)

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

…my Dad passed away yesterday.

I’m so sorry @Sylverthorne  

The memory of exactly where you were and/or what you were doing when you got that news is probably going to stick around. Don’t ask how I know. 

<< Virtual hugs >>

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

What did you do instead?

The comment you posted here sounded like a decent checklist for the client to perform. 

Could all of his tellers, at all of his locations, be encountering the same glitch-error-problem?  And then, each one generates a problem report?

• Like 7

Here is the entirety of a customer email to service this morning:

No specifics on what kind of emails No sample email for us to look at. No site name/location.  No last name.   No contact information other than the email address it was sent from.  The sending email address  tells us a little bit when cross referenced with our database, but not which of the multiple locations associated with this service email address. 

I suspect some of your customers already are.

GEM

@inarah - OMG!!!

I hope it didn't screw up other things like pay, etc. 

Especially insurances.

GEM

1 hour ago, GoldenPiggy said:

That sounds justified.  For a lot of the people here, actually.  I sympathize with all of you.

The worst I had to deal with post-ReaperCon was an exhausted and irritable wife, because she had to deal with four kids alone for four days.  Her parents were supposed to be here to help, but they canceled at the last minute when my son tested positive for Covid a week before I left.  Fortunately, that should be a temporary problem; it just means I should refrain from mentioning ReaperCon 2024 in her presence for at least a couple of months.  That is not nearly as bad as the other stories on here, so I am thankful for that.  (Now events in my life after last year's ReaperCon are a whole other story...)

Treat her extra special, and if you can manage it a couple of "date nights" where somebody else deals with the kids.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Finally getting my own head above water here. Turns out while I was out, we had 2 customers who finalized processing to sell their business, handed over the keys (both literal and proverbial) and the new owners called in and placed service tickets for task we have to do that lets them start over the accounting under the new ownership.
this is a process that normally we plan for at least a few weeks out, as it takes some time and consultation with the owners and their lawyers to make sure all the little duckies are in a row.  
So I return to work on september 5, have 2 of these to do that needed to be done on Sept 1 (both of them notified us on 9/30).

I used to have a backup for this but he left a few months ago, and since this is such a seldom thing (maybe once a year normally) and usually we have a few weeks notice that it hasn't been a priority to get someone else trained on.

Now I've two customers who have almost a week of work to catch up on.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Send back an email saying, " They are emails. You are getting them because someone sent them to you. You should delete them." :rolleyes:

LOL!

At least I didn't have to answer this customer

1 hour ago, TGP said:

What did you do instead?

The comment you posted here sounded like a decent checklist for the client to perform. 

Could all of his tellers, at all of his locations, be encountering the same glitch-error-problem?  And then, each one generates a problem report?

Our system is capable of sending out one email for every credit card transaction, plus an email for various teller events, like lost wash in use signal or hopper out of change.  However, by default, it is set to generate one credit card transaction summary email a day. We only turn the other stuff on if customers request it. 

it turns out in this case, the reason the customer got so many emails was a typo in the sending email configuration that was fixed last week.  This resulted in the system resending all of the daily emails it had been trying unsuccessfully to send for the last 4 months.  The service manager noticed the issue last week while working on something else and fixed it for her, but didn't tell her he fixed it, nor did he realize there were four months worth of emails waiting to deluge her inbox. 

4 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Finally getting my own head above water here. Turns out while I was out, we had 2 customers who finalized processing to sell their business, handed over the keys (both literal and proverbial) and the new owners called in and placed service tickets for task we have to do that lets them start over the accounting under the new ownership.
this is a process that normally we plan for at least a few weeks out, as it takes some time and consultation with the owners and their lawyers to make sure all the little duckies are in a row.  
So I return to work on september 5, have 2 of these to do that needed to be done on Sept 1 (both of them notified us on 9/30).

I used to have a backup for this but he left a few months ago, and since this is such a seldom thing (maybe once a year normally) and usually we have a few weeks notice that it hasn't been a priority to get someone else trained on.

Now I've two customers who have almost a week of work to catch up on.....

Ouch.  

We get that all the time -people calling in and saying "Oh yeah, I bought this business, I need everything changed over tomorrow" (or worse, "right now.")

Sometimes, like earlier today, I get calls from buyers who are actually prepared - guy was in the process of buying a site that will close sometime in the next month or two, and wanted to know what he needed to do.  This call made me happy because a) he was doing his due diligence and b) the lady he's buying it from is one of those who's made me bang my head against the desk more than once. 

• Like 10