Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

@Sylverthorne, you have my deepest sympathies. Hopefully, everything will turn out for the good in the end.

My return to work last night was ok, typical night, but I did start off being late, as apparently I was still on "vacation mode" of letting my alarm go off & then waiting for the one I actually got up with (that one never came). I was only 12 minutes late, so no big whoop there. I did miss a huge holidays (as in T-day/C'mas) order on Sunday. He said it was like 14 or 15 boards & 9 of them were break down boards. It was mostly bulk baking stuff, but I'm glad I wasn't there for that. He was in a cranky, surly mood as well. It's nothing new, just a noticed it more last night, but then again as said before typical night at the Big A.

7 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I swear I'm going to start day drinking. 

I recommend a game of Basic D&D to go along with that!

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

Adding to the post-con horror stories....   DH tried to log into work yesterday only to find out his account was locked and he was no longer considered an employee.  Turned out while we were on vacation someone said he "was gone", and someone else assumed that meant he'd been fired and started the exit processing.   But it seems like everything has been fixed as of this morning. 

Well, at least they didn't say he had passed on. Wow, that is a major FUBAR on someone's part!

• Like 8

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been asked to help with a "club" aimed at getting the 8-18 crowd playing games.   Starting Sep 21st, I'm going to be running a "tabletop minis games" night every other Thursday.  My plan is to introduce the kids to the more affordable miniatures games, rather than the heavy hitters like 40k and Star Wars:Legions. 

Need to drop off some "marketing" material to the organizer on Friday night.  I have something written up, but another friend of mine last night suggested maybe putting some video links or QR codes to a youtube video or something that talks about what minis gaming is. 

Started my search for said videos, but figured if anyone had any good suggestions to shorten my search, it would be one or more of you. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

So I've been asked to help with a "club" aimed at getting the 8-18 crowd playing games.   Starting Sep 21st, I'm going to be running a "tabletop minis games" night every other Thursday.  My plan is to introduce the kids to the more affordable miniatures games, rather than the heavy hitters like 40k and Star Wars:Legions. 

Need to drop off some "marketing" material to the organizer on Friday night.  I have something written up, but another friend of mine last night suggested maybe putting some video links or QR codes to a youtube video or something that talks about what minis gaming is. 

Started my search for said videos, but figured if anyone had any good suggestions to shorten my search, it would be one or more of you. 

Here's for starters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkX_rOqXSas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbHmwmgFxK0

Best of Luck

GEM

• Like 6

Ah the joys of trying to match sponsor decals to a racer that raced in 1977. Luckily, I've been able to match most of them on a option sheet I order with the actual model.  Some of them thou are D.O.A when it comes to pictures & such.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Okay, the last two R-cons I have run demos and events for Rangers of Shadowdeep, Frostgrave and Stargrave. These are excellent for your project as you can start off with just the primary rulebooks. They are designed to be mini-agnostic, and welcome anyone's minis. Rangers is a cooperative game, while the other two [and Ghost Archipelago, same designer] are competitive. Fast to learn with excellent playing rule sets.

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Okay, the last two R-cons I have run demos and events for Rangers of Shadowdeep, Frostgrave and Stargrave. These are excellent for your project as you can start off with just the primary rulebooks. They are designed to be mini-agnostic, and welcome anyone's minis. Rangers is a cooperative game, while the other two [and Ghost Archipelago, same designer] are competitive. Fast to learn with excellent playing rule sets.

Stargrave & Frostgrave are definitely on my list, but I think we're going to start off with Song of Blades and Heroes.  The reason being that the PDF is cheap ($8) on Drive Thru and a printed copy is only $15 on Amazon, it's simple to learn, and goes well with the selection of Reaper & Wiz Kid minis available at our F (but not quite) LGS. 

After that, we may transition to One Page Rules - I would have seriously considered starting with that, but I've never played them, and don't have enough time to really familiarize myself with them. 

After the first couple/few sessions, I'll tailor the game choices to the attendees and try and show off as many different rule sets as I can (based on what I have and can reasonably afford myself). 

If we get a few kids who really want to dive into the money pits of 40k or Star Wars Legions, I won't discourage them, but my overall goal is really to get kids playing games they can both enjoy & reasonably afford.  I know that many of my RPG kids and their friends have spent some time at the FLGS and expressed interest in the minis games, but see the prices on the GW stuff there and get scared off, thinking that all minis games are super expensive and time-consuming.  I know there are at least two kids in town who started buying 40k armies a couple of years ago, but have never actually played because they still don't have more than a couple units each.   I want to show them that the hobby is a lot less daunting and more accessible. 

The guy that came to me and asked me to help actually asked me to run/teach D&D games.   While I'd love to, I can't commit to running yet another campaign, and I've found that trying to run a fun campaign with players coming/going in a public setting like that just doesn't work for me.  So I told him about miniatures gaming and talked him into that instead.  Doesn't matter how many people show up, as long as there are at least two of us.  And if I can get the kids to start buying their own minis and rules, then it can become self-sustaining, even if I can't show up occasionally.   

• Like 10

Today was a better day, and actually the situation yesterday has led to some good conversations that should have been had years ago regarding how much the front desk deals with and how undertrained they are. Also, having staff primarily from the Billing department helping out created a lot of Ah-ha moments both for them and for the front desk supervisor. So I'm glad that some good came out of the train wreck, I just wish I hadn't been involved in the crash while it was happening. :lol:

There are other work fires (though truly I'm coming to realize that there's always something on fire), but I'm only directly involved in maybe 2 of the medium-sized ones. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

• Like 13

Two of the three cats that couldn't go with us were immediately accounted for. The third has been sighted, but while she wandered around mewing, she has refused to actually get up on the desk and get snuggles. That, of course, was Enigma, who lives up to her name.

Cats.. 

I am otherwise waiting for news and psyching myself up for a conversation with my dad's caretaker (... he said he had a housemate, he didn't say he needed a caretaker.. DAAD! ARGH!), which.. honestly, is just about like him. He didn't like it when we fussed...

Which ... excuse me, but that's part of my job description, dangit. Lemme fuss a little! HECK. 

In the morning, tho; we just got in (technically a couple hours ago, I got side tracked with Stuff What Had To Get Done) and I got to drive through a chunk of national forest that I've never driven through before. In the dark. Because that's about how that goes. Lines? On the road?! Who needs LINES ON THE ROAD!?  *mutter* 

• Like 11

15 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Sometimes, like earlier today, I get calls from buyers who are actually prepared - guy was in the process of buying a site that will close sometime in the next month or two, and wanted to know what he needed to do.  This call made me happy because a) he was doing his due diligence and b) the lady he's buying it from is one of those who's made me bang my head against the desk more than once. 

So much agree here.  Even a week of lead time on my end is enough to get 90% of the prep done, and it used to happen all the time, but it's shocking how seldom that actually happens any more.

• Like 7

After that, we may transition to One Page Rules - I would have seriously considered starting with that, but I've never played them, and don't have enough time to really familiarize myself with them. 

The thing I love about OPR is that it's actually pretty easy to pick up.  Units have individual rules sometimes that make things interesting, but for the most part, every unit simply has 3 stats - Quality, Defense, and sometimes Tough which gives it wounds. Roll Quality to hit, Roll Defense to try to resist the wound.    Special rules on units modify the rolls sometimes but they're usually very straightforward and can be spelled out on the army list if you're using their web tool to build the list..

I mostly taught myself in an afternoon working with the rulebook and the AI sheet.  Last time I tried to teach anyone it took less than half an hour before he was off and running.  

That being said, I know they're in the process of releasing their 3rd edition ruleset right now, so you might want to hold off a month or so, in order to not be learning new rules right after learning new rules.

• Like 8

If we get a few kids who really want to dive into the money pits of 40k or Star Wars Legions,

Up until recently I would have complained about having 40k and Legion lumped into the same cost category (money pit is a cost category, right?).
But lately it seems that AMG has changed their model from "why, our minis aren't crazy expensive like 40k." to "why aren't our minis crazy expensive like 40k?"

• Like 8