Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Hi fwend !!! :wub:

Hows are you? How’s Thorn? How’s Justin?? I hope all of you are well. 

Hi friend! Oh boy, where to even start haha.

I started the divorce paperwork in Sept 2021 and this time it went through. I'm sure he's fine.

Rehoming Thorn was the hardest thing I've ever done. My therapist said I've been through more than what one person should ever go through. But that was the worst.

Thorn saw me safely through a really rough couple of years. Taking him back to his first foster mom felt like my soul was being ripped from my body. But without steady income, I wanted to be sure he had the safest and best home possible, even though I wanted to be that home.

It took 4 months, working with his daycare and foster mom. But we did it. He's with a super active couple and two other big dogs now!! His foster mom said I trained him up so well and that he was such a sweet boy, she'd have kept him for herself if she didn't already have so many foster fails!

I have been so tired, but I'm doing my best to learn and keep moving forward. Learning to get past just surviving and learning to live for me. I'm doing better at setting boundaries and keeping them. I get to be me all the time!

• Like 21

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Lost X-Wing" has been found and is now up for auction.

Spoilered for possible advertising content

If you've got an extra $400,000 lying around you may make an opening bid.

GE<

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Does anyone know if there are any "leftover" goodies from ReaperCon, and if they will be offered as in past years?

GEM

Depending on what you're after, SOME of the stuff from the bag/box is now on the store, but the swag bags are sold out, and the boxes are really low.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Depending on what you're after, SOME of the stuff from the bag/box is now on the store, but the swag bags are sold out, and the boxes are really low.

Thanks.

I have helped contribute to the "Boxes really low" situation, having placed an order earlier today.

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

23 hours ago, ShadowRaven said:

So. Show of hands. Who here can forget a major project, in between getting ready for it, and actually having to do it, over the course of the same morning, Just me? Okie dokie...

I can...wait, what were we talking about? 

22 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

I can get up. walk into another room to get something, and forget why I'm in that room.

This is caused by doorways.   Every door way contains a memory wiping device in the header.  They only affect us as we get older because a) we're taller and b) the hair and skin that protect our memory have gotten thinner and c) we tend to move through them slower. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

6 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Having had to create many desk references and flow charts for coworkers, I appreciate your well-put together document. I hadn't thought about how my giving an opinion could derail things, so I'll try to keep that in mind for our IT guys in the future. 

thanks. 

To be fair, a truly good tech or IT person won't let that derail them, and if you're on the right track, it won't matter anyway. Most of the time, that is.  They'll double check or spot check you, and move on. Occasionally  even a good tech can get tripped up, if they don't spot check the right thing (or worse - have grown so used to you being correct, they don't spot check you at all)*

However, I spent a lot of years working with cleaning up after some techs who would absolutely let themselves get derailed by someone else's opinion, never bothering to spot check, let alone double check their findings. 

We used to have one tech - I'll call him Art (not his real name) - who was horrible for it.  If he started a problem completely from scratch, he wasn't too bad at figuring out the issue.  But if a customer - particularly if it was a customer that he didn't like - gave their opinion of what was wrong, he'd just go with that and start there.  I had to clean up one mess he and a customer (I'll call her Agatha - again, not her real name) made because of this, and that mess is what inspired that section of the document.   

Agatha is horrible - she thinks she's the smartest person in the room, but really isn't. She hardly ever listens and makes tons of assumptions.  So Art would just deal with her by taking everything she said at face value, then they would get into huge arguments because she was reporting problems that either didn't really exist or worse, that she created, and Art was giving her solutions that didn't really apply to the problem at hand.  

Agatha set up some internal accounts for customers and made a bunch of assumptions about how the settings worked.  So when the accounts didn't report correctly, she contacted Art saying "A isn't working right".   Well, A  isn't really what she was doing, but Art never checked, and would tell her to do B.  Of course, B wouldn't fix her problem, but would in turn cause problem C. The cycle would continue, and I think I was called in around V or W over a year later. Ultimately, it turned out that problem A wasn't working right because the system was never intended to work that way - but Art never bothered to ask Agatha what she was trying to do - he simply responded to her questions in order to get her off his plate as soon as possible. 

Semi related - I did figure out Agatha's problem, and get issues C thru W resolved.  Agatha was informed that not only does A not work the way she thought it does, A is actually resulting in her customers getting free car washes.   Agatha was told that over two years ago, and yet is still setting up accounts with that method.  She has been repeatedly told, and argues with me. I finally told Agatha to broccoli off, and put her on my exclusion list.  Engineer told her the same thing.  At this point, we're just waiting for Agatha to go out of business. 

*do not ask me about the time I made such a rookie mistake I had the engineer and the service manager bamboozled for two days trying to help me. 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I can...wait, what were we talking about? 

This is caused by doorways.   Every door way contains a memory wiping device in the header.  They only affect us as we get older because a) we're taller and b) the hair and skin that protect our memory have gotten thinner and c) we tend to move through them slower. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

thanks. 

To be fair, a truly good tech or IT person won't let that derail them, and if you're on the right track, it won't matter anyway. Most of the time, that is.  They'll double check or spot check you, and move on. Occasionally  even a good tech can get tripped up, if they don't spot check the right thing (or worse - have grown so used to you being correct, they don't spot check you at all)*

However, I spent a lot of years working with cleaning up after some techs who would absolutely let themselves get derailed by someone else's opinion, never bothering to spot check, let alone double check their findings. 

We used to have one tech - I'll call him Art (not his real name) - who was horrible for it.  If he started a problem completely from scratch, he wasn't too bad at figuring out the issue.  But if a customer - particularly if it was a customer that he didn't like - gave their opinion of what was wrong, he'd just go with that and start there.  I had to clean up one mess he and a customer (I'll call her Agatha - again, not her real name) made because of this, and that mess is what inspired that section of the document.   

Agatha is horrible - she thinks she's the smartest person in the room, but really isn't. She hardly ever listens and makes tons of assumptions.  So Art would just deal with her by taking everything she said at face value, then they would get into huge arguments because she was reporting problems that either didn't really exist or worse, that she created, and Art was giving her solutions that didn't really apply to the problem at hand.  

Agatha set up some internal accounts for customers and made a bunch of assumptions about how the settings worked.  So when the accounts didn't report correctly, she contacted Art saying "A isn't working right".   Well, A  isn't really what she was doing, but Art never checked, and would tell her to do B.  Of course, B wouldn't fix her problem, but would in turn cause problem C. The cycle would continue, and I think I was called in around V or W over a year later. Ultimately, it turned out that problem A wasn't working right because the system was never intended to work that way - but Art never bothered to ask Agatha what she was trying to do - he simply responded to her questions in order to get her off his plate as soon as possible. 

Semi related - I did figure out Agatha's problem, and get issues C thru W resolved.  Agatha was informed that not only does A not work the way she thought it does, A is actually resulting in her customers getting free car washes.   Agatha was told that over two years ago, and yet is still setting up accounts with that method.  She has been repeatedly told, and argues with me. I finally told Agatha to broccoli off, and put her on my exclusion list.  Engineer told her the same thing.  At this point, we're just waiting for Agatha to go out of business. 

*do not ask me about the time I made such a rookie mistake I had the engineer and the service manager bamboozled for two days trying to help me. 

Ah yes the "Portal/Doorway Effect".

I'm sure Douglas Adams has some pertinent remarks on this but I can't off-hand recall them right now.

As to "Agatha", sounds like a case of Dunning-Kruger Effect to me.

Trust me, dealing with this is outside of your area of expertise and well above our combined pay grades.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

The "Lost X-Wing" has been found and is now up for auction.

Spoilered for possible advertising content

If you've got an extra $400,000 lying around you may make an opening bid.

GE<

Questions raised by the article: auctioned by whom? It was found in the collection of its deceased maker, but the fact that ILM considered it "lost" in the first place kinda indicates he didn't have legal ownership of it...

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Last Knight said:

Questions raised by the article: auctioned by whom? It was found in the collection of its deceased maker, but the fact that ILM considered it "lost" in the first place kinda indicates he didn't have legal ownership of it...

Article mentioned the auction house but I didn't pay enough attention to retain the details.

And yes, the same thought crossed my mind.

I'm thinking the exact terms of the contract for the construction of these models would determine who has the actual ownership rights.

GEM

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Last Knight said:

Things get lost. 

Things get misplaced. 

Sometimes intentionality,  but not always. 

Nobody really expected Star Wars to become the juggernaut it eventually became, or for there to be as much interest in old movie props as there is today, so many things were simply trashed at the end of a production. That's the story with many movie/TV props.  With some iconic pieces, the only reason we still have them is that the maker or actor saved it from the trash (I mean it does cost money to archive these items, and is a Hollywood executive going to pay for an archive or give himself a bonus? ). 

Adam Savage talks about this from time to time on his YT channel. I love it when he visits The Prop Store. 

We also just recently rediscovered the dress Carrie Fisher wore at the end of Star Wars for the medal ceremony. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, strawhat said:

Nobody really expected Star Wars to become the juggernaut it eventually became, or for there to be as much interest in old movie props as there is today, so many things were simply trashed at the end of a production. That's the story with many movie/TV props. 

Or somebody charged with getting rid of it took it down to the local second hand store or costume shop and sold it for a few bucks.  A few actors are known to have kept their costumes and/or props after their scenes wrapped. 

• Like 8