Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

Now, for a story about the police and failure. Okay. I don't know if I wrote about this back when it happened, but back in July, one of our guys was hit in the head with a stick while trying to move a guy off of a building. One of the (outgoing) bosses was there, helping out, and maced the dude. He's popped up here and there since then, and we've called the police, but there's been no arrests. We once called and waited 12 hours to get them to come out and arrest him, but by the time they designed to grace us with their presence, he had woken up and left.

Tonight, one of my bosses (the one who recently started getting into minis, I wrote about him yesterday, I think?) went out to remove someone from another building. And it was him. Since we didn't have a good shot of the guy, and it was a different spot in the same area, it didn't click that it was him right away. Plus, he's been hiding from us for a few weeks now. Anyway, boss rolls up, asks the guy to leave and... This guy was not having it. But you know what he did have? A strong walking stick. My boss got clipped in the elbow and absolutely smacked in the leg. The bruise was the size of his knee, no joke. He also busted the truck's front windshield. And you know what he got charged with? Assault IV. The lowest level of assault, a misdemeanor. And, do you want to know the best part? He's back out on the streets. Supposed be monitored by the Sheriff's Office while out on the streets but that program was overloaded before the pandemic. Basically, he got away with it. Even if we can catch him again, they'll just let him go again.

I can't wait to see this guy on the news because he's done something very bad... <_<

I can't respond to this the way I would like to, since there is no more beekeepers. 

But yeah, it sucks. 

We have a problem here in Des Moines with people punching out the screens on our tellers. But the reactions our local site owners are getting from the police are completely different. 

One owner, who owns four sites in Des Moines proper was told not to call about them any more, there was nothing they could do, and it was a problem that the manufacturer (us) needed to solve for him.  Its a complicated issue - basically, people get mad if the teller doesn't arm the wash, give proper change, etc, and they punch the screen.  But it's not just one issue, lots of different things can cause an issue with the teller, including operator error.  

The other owner has only one site in Des Moines proper, but gets five star service from the Des Moines PD each time. And his site, is only a mile as a crow flies from one of the other guy's sites, so same police substation. Same model teller and wash, too. 

But both have commented that the people who get busted rarely suffer any serious legal charges. 

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Yup. The mobile interface is hinky. And I have long suspected it varies by browser and brand of mobile. 

Pretty sure that which tooth your tongue is touching and what color your underwear is when you fire up the browser is a factor as well

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

I've been wandering around on my own in the woods a lot up here, fulfilling childhood dreams of being a little witch in the woods!

I can't go far because of my hip, but everything is gorgeous up here so I don't mind (too much).

I'd love to share some photos!! Y'all think maybe the Fiction and Other section would be good? 😄

Here's a cute mushroom I found!

walk2.thumb.jpg.0316caf5bcb2a911045978ec28de4d7d.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I'd love to share some photos!! Y'all think maybe the Fiction and Other section would be good? 😄

@Thoramel has a thread where he put pix of things he finds when he inspects swamps (more or less his job).

Start a thread next to his maybe. I wish I could remember where that was. 

That was a great Shroom picture. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

I just post all my nature stuff in here. Though if there were a thread for nature pics somewhere I'd probably post way more stuff there. 

34 minutes ago, TGP said:

@Thoramel has a thread where he put pix of things he finds when he inspects swamps (more or less his job).

Not me. There is one for gardening in the Off Topic category. But nothing with just nature stuff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

*crawls out from under a mountain of emails and Outlook schedules*

Today was a day that I REALLY wish I worked remotely, so that people couldn't find me and dribble all of their passive aggressive complaints about furniture and office moves all over me. Yes, literally ALL of your projects are on my plate (see, lookee my very colorful whiteboard COVERED in sticky notes, including at least one JUST FOR YOU), no I can't change the fabric of reality to give you what you want, and the more you peck at me, the less inclined I am to go out of my way regarding the little niceties I do have control over, like letting you choose your own color options or desk configuration, etc.

I may be fluffy, but if you poke this kitty enough, she's either going to avoid you, or hiss and start swatting.

...Okay, I can't actually do that last one, but it's sometimes very tempting:ik_oops:

Honestly, logistics-wise all of these projects are very straightforward: variations on "turn meeting space A into office spaces A-F. Make sure each one has desk, chair, secure file storage and tech. Done." Instead, I have to deal with feelings and egos and personalities. :zombie:

I actually quite liked our IT manager's approach: he was asked to assist with moving the biggest project along, so he drew a floorplan on the whiteboard, asked if the managers involved were okay with it, then was like "Okay, have your people ready to move on Monday." He doesn't care about the feelings part (and I think gets a bit of wicked enjoyment when people whine), but man can he get things DONE. :lol: He also is 100% okay with me blaming him for all of the bruised feelings on this project, and encouraged me to use his name when people whinge at me. I am going to bring this man a whole plate of brownies next week.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Here's where we were this afternoon, the Reno Air Races:

{spoilered for possible embedded commercial content in feed]

For those interested this will be a live feed every day all day of the entire event plus the replay as linked.

The Navy F-18 Super Hornet demonstration was interesting and impressive.  [starts at 8 hrs 27 min.]  I've never seen anything without a propeller fly so slow without ending up as a pile of scrap on the runway. [VTOL excepted]

The military aircraft on display jumped from WWII era to the generation after my experience, the F-14 Tomcat, which started flying while I was wrangling electrons at Miramar Naval Air Station.

Kinda makes me feel my age to realize that all of the aircraft I cared for[and there were a very large number of individual F-4Js I turned wrenches and used electronic test equipment on], along with my buddies and all the guys in the other shops, is too old to even be brought out for air shows.

One of the displays was a prop from Top Gun Maverick, a cockpit mockup that included the fuselage from the tip of the nose to the fuselage area roughly over the wing root, with just stubs of the wings that looks like it was used for closer shots.  It travels around on a modified heavy auto trailer with decals for the movie on the sides.

I'm completely done in as SWMBO can't walk very far so I had to push the wheelchair all afternoon.  The airport is definitely not AWDA Compliant for wheelchairs, too much rough/almost beyond repair asphalt with expansion joints over an inch in gap.

Glad to have gone today, sad for what happens Sunday as it will ring down the curtain on a 59 year long tradition.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I went almost two days without looking at this thread, and there were several more pages to work through.  I guess I just need to drop all that other stuff, like work and family, and focus my attention right here.

10 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

New Rules:  Anyone playing Christmas Music in October may be legally bagged, tagged, and used as a Halloween Decoration.

I agree in principle, but I want an exemption for the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack.  Though it is a Christmas movie (I will die on this hill!), it is perfectly acceptable year-round.  And I know this guy below would agree:

10 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Seasonable Chain Saw Art:

Carved-Oogie-Boogie.thumb.jpg.f3bfbc87bd1bb2afc1f14e70ca6a0558.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GoldenPiggy said:

I went almost two days without looking at this thread, and there were several more pages to work through.  I guess I just need to drop all that other stuff, like work and family, and focus my attention right here.

I agree in principle, but I want an exemption for the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack.  Though it is a Christmas movie (I will die on this hill!), it is perfectly acceptable year-round.  And I know this guy below would agree:

Motion on the floor to grant The Nighmare Before Christmas an exception/exemption, do I hear a second?

}Second{

All in favor say AYE!

>AYE!!<

Opposed, Nay.

(crickets)

Motion has passed and the exception is granted.

I'm completely in favor of this.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Relevant to several recent posts...

(And on a personal note, I'd just like to say that I 'shopped a similar pic together nearly twenty years ago...)

image.thumb.png.bb849313051b5c1b2f25e4ad4f7c6eb3.png

The ones on the shirt are Set(h), lord of the desert and generally the antagonist in many of the Ancient Egyptian god stories. He has the wedge shaped ears and ant eater nose. The fact he has a selfie stick is perfect irony. It's worth noting there is still debate over what animal exactly Set is supposed to have for his head. Many just cop out and call it the "Set Beast". The original image is probably supposed to be Anubis, lord of the dead (before being supplanted by Osiris) and Horus. It's harder to say with the raptor-headed gods, as there were actually several. Considering that Ancient Egypt and her pantheon were around 4000 years, and it makes sense that gods came, went and were merged. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GoldenPiggy said:

Though it is a Christmas movie (I will die on this hill!)...

I spent a few years (back when I was single) watching Christmas movies on Christmas Day. They included Die Hard (1 and 2), Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Batman Returns, Rocky IV,...

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Honestly, logistics-wise all of these projects are very straightforward: variations on "turn meeting space A into office spaces A-F. Make sure each one has desk, chair, secure file storage and tech.

How did it go when you asked the max occupancy - per fire code - fire Marshall question?

Be good to know they are not stuffing 500 peeps into a space only rated for 350 before the moving vans roll. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I may be fluffy, but if you poke this kitty enough, she's either going to avoid you, or hiss and start swatting.

You need to keep a spray bottle on your desk so that whenever someone comes up and starts whining you can squirt them like a misbehaving cat, lol. 

Also, here's a sign to point to while you continue typing instead of replying to them:

Problematic.jpg.b25a4e4513717f318424701275c4cd8c.jpg

14 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I can't go far because of my hip, but everything is gorgeous up here so I don't mind (too much).

If you like the woods, make a point of visiting the state parks around New England. It's not hard to find patches of forest that are exactly the same as they were 500 years ago before all the people showed up and began people-ing everything up... 

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3