Jump to content

Randomness: the 18th sequel


Chaoswolf
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ugh. I have yet another car wash owner who thinks that because they have a degree in some other field and a good paying job in that field, that they know more about electronics and electricity than I do. 

Distributor tech and I troubleshot out a problem, and all signs point to an electrical surge.  Second one the site has had in the last few months.  I won't cover the damaged board under warranty, so he's upset about that.   But that's not the part that upsets me - I'm trying to give him advice on what to do to make sure it doesn't happen a 3rd or even 4th time, and he won't listen. Just claims that we (dist tech & myself) are dumb techs who don't have real educations. 

Going to let him dig himself a hole for a bit before I tell him off and mention my degrees and education and then point out that I've been working on this equipment since before he graduated college (I love linked in for finding stuff like that out.)

Edited to hopefully clarify that the guy's degree is NOT in electronics. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Moderator
2 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

 

Frost/Stargrave could be fun and only needs a 2x2, which is a very good thing.  12 Parsecs From Home I don't know about, but Five Parsecs From Home is excellent though solo.  I've played (I think) most editions of it at great length and have running characters that keep showing up.

That's my brain goofing up and combining 12 Leagues from the Borderlands with 5 parsecs From Home.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
14 hours ago, TGP said:

How did it go when you asked the max occupancy - per fire code - fire Marshall question?

 

Be good to know they are not stuffing 500 peeps into a space only rated for 350 before the moving vans roll. 

 

I asked the question about the building in general but it got buried in an email inbox, so I did a bit of scouting. Given that the biggest meeting room being turned into offices has a posted capacity equal to more than half of our entire current staff, I think we're probably okay. But I appreciate everyone who brought it up. 

 

5 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

 

 Just got my ticket to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra at the end of the month... ::D:

 

Jealous! I've only been to one and it was glorious. Also very very loud lol. 

 

5 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

 

Or get you a NO! button. 

 

I do not have NO! buttons, only stickers. *shrug*

 

Given my proclivity for saying YES, I think I need a NO button for myself. :lol:

 

In other news, I was just informed that another one of the meeting rooms (which I JUST FINISHED shuffling several meetings into) is also being converted into a double office at the end of this month. So now I need to move all of those poor people AGAIN. *headdesk*

 

I'm starting to understand the appeal of drinking. :wacko:

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

Edited by OneBoot
  • Sad 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Last Knight said:
5 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

 they argued that a walking stick "isn't really a weapon."

...I don't think I've ever heard a clearer invitation to beat someone with a stick before...

Exhibit A: Gandalf in Rohan. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Ugh. I have yet another car wash owner who thinks that because they have a degree in some other field and a good paying job in that field, that they know more about electronics and electricity than I do. 

Distributor tech and I troubleshot out a problem, and all signs point to an electrical surge.  Second one the site has had in the last few months.  I won't cover the damaged board under warranty, so he's upset about that.   But that's not the part that upsets me - I'm trying to give him advice on what to do to make sure it doesn't happen a 3rd or even 4th time, and he won't listen. Just claims that we (dist tech & myself) are dumb techs who don't have real educations. 

Going to let him dig himself a hole for a bit before I tell him off and mention my degrees and education and then point out that I've been working on this equipment since before he graduated college (I love linked in for finding stuff like that out.)

Edited to hopefully clarify that the guy's degree is NOT in electronics. 

The equipment I maintained in the Navy was operated by college graduates, most [as in nearly all] of whom had liberal arts degrees.  When they first hit the West Coast Replacement Air Group I was assigned to for hands on training on the equipment they supposedly had already had classroom training on some of them couldn't even find the ON/OFF switch.  So I can relate to what you are saying.

Next time you are forced to have a conversation with this self impressed jerk ask him what Ohm's Law is and where it is found in the Civil and Criminal Codes.  I would be very interested in learning what his response is.

GEM

48 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

 

I asked the question about the building in general but it got buried in an email inbox, so I did a bit of scouting. Given that the biggest meeting room being turned into offices has a posted capacity equal to more than half of our entire current staff, I think we're probably okay. But I appreciate everyone who brought it up. 

 

 

Jealous! I've only been to one and it was glorious. Also very very loud lol. 

 

 

Given my proclivity for saying YES, I think I need a NO button for myself. :lol:

 

In other news, I was just informed that another one of the meeting rooms (which I JUST FINISHED shuffling several meetings into) is also being converted into a double office at the end of this month. So now I need to move all of those poor people AGAIN. *headdesk*

 

I'm starting to understand the appeal of drinking. :wacko:

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

Time to issue a memorandum that no meetings will be scheduled through your office until the planning for all of the meeting room conversions to office space is approved by all parties and finalized.

When you then say "Sorry, no can do" to a meeting scheduling request refer to the memo.

Good Luck

GEM

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Last Knight said:

...I don't think I've ever heard a clearer invitation to beat someone with a stick before...

Agreed. 

You said that better than I would have.
 

6 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Next time you are forced to have a conversation with this self impressed jerk ask him what Ohm's Law is and where it is found in the Civil and Criminal Codes.  I would be very interested in learning what his response is.

Back in the early days of working on this equipment, we had a chiropractor in a small rural town build a car wash site.  He was used to being the big fish in the small pond, so to speak. After the warranty was up, he was too cheap to pay for a distributor tech to come out to do anything.  He figured since he was smart enough to be called Doctor - something he insisted that we address him as, btw - that he was smart enough to work on the equipment.   Only everything he touched got worse. Send him a part of X, and not only would X not get properly fixed, then Y wouldn't work. then Z, etc. 

After one problem dragged on for months and literally thousands of dollars in parts, during one conversation/argument he started yelling at me about it, I cut him off and said "You're a Doctor Right?" to which he snarkily replied yes.  Then I asked him  "Would you advise me to try and adjust my own back?" 

"Of course not, you're not a doctor."

My final words to him were "and you're not a technician."  

He was so mad he hung up and called my boss at the time, who simply asked him "Well, are you a technician?" 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
28 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Time to issue a memorandum that no meetings will be scheduled through your office until the planning for all of the meeting room conversions to office space is approved by all parties and finalized.

When you then say "Sorry, no can do" to a meeting scheduling request refer to the memo.

Good Luck

GEM

 

I used the laugh reaction because it would be lovely if I could do that, but I would probably have to schedule a series of meetings with all of the managers to discuss said memo, and I've had my fill of "indecision by committee" for the month. 

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

 

I used the laugh reaction because it would be lovely if I could do that, but I would probably have to schedule a series of meetings with all of the managers to discuss said memo, and I've had my fill of "indecision by committee" for the month. 

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

"...oh, you want to have a meeting about my memo? Are you done turning meeting rooms into offices? No? Then as per my memo, no meeting. Ta!"

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

 

I used the laugh reaction because it would be lovely if I could do that, but I would probably have to schedule a series of meetings with all of the managers to discuss said memo, and I've had my fill of "indecision by committee" for the month. 

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

So try this:

Inquire of the Fire Marshal when the next scheduled site inspection and review of the capacity ratings is scheduled and mention the proposed changes to the type of use of these areas.

It's going to be a lot easier to deal with before people start moving in that it will be if the Fire Marshal comes in and decides to de-rate the facility to the point where a bunch of people are not allowed in the building because it's now over capacity.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2023 at 8:27 PM, Morihalda said:

I've been wandering around on my own in the woods a lot up here, fulfilling childhood dreams of being a little witch in the woods!

 

I can't go far because of my hip, but everything is gorgeous up here so I don't mind (too much).

 

I'd love to share some photos!! Y'all think maybe the Fiction and Other section would be good? 😄

 

Here's a cute mushroom I found!

walk2.thumb.jpg.0316caf5bcb2a911045978ec28de4d7d.jpg

Just wait until all of leaves finish changing colors.

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Free (you don't even have to sign up) temporary live hurricane tracking page:  https://one.weatherflow.com/storm/lee?#46.687,-57.853,4,8

 

Just back from the county assessor's offices where I successfully argued for a lower home valuation (for tax purposes).  The lowest bidder contractor they hired 4 years ago performed such a bad job they had to roll back evaluations to previous levels, and then they hired the same lowest bidder company last year with a completely AFU result again.  Got our assessment knocked down from "ridiculous" to "fair".  Thank you to every speech, debate, and public speaking instructor I ever studied under.  Now, pass the rum, please. 

 

I would.... but someone seems to have drunk it all...

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The VOD for this episode is not on Twitch, but Kwindy has posted it to Youtube as quickly as possible.  Immediately after the show last night, the VOD was on Twitch, so I'm not sure what happened to it.  There were some audio problems initially and some other technical issues.

 

Reaper Live! #210

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99u-82ooHR0

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OneBoot said:
9 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

 

Or get you a NO! button. 

 

I do not have NO! buttons, only stickers. *shrug*

 

Given my proclivity for saying YES, I think I need a NO button for myself. :lol:

 

I got Andi's from AS&S.

Good luck getting through their item descriptions without laughing at least once. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gotta love getting packages from China & Japan on the same day (but ordered on different days)......

 

One I ordered at the overnight hotel in Boise before RCon & the other was maybe a few days after I got home from RCon. Plaza Japan (great shipping costs & priced well too) & Hobby Easy from China. Decent shipping, but still international shipping). Model kits & hobby supplies - getting the itch to work on scale models again.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need some help making a decision. 

Several years ago I commissioned some artwork/badges for a game I was creating that I never wound up using/doing. I've decided to use them for my Traveller game instead to represent the various big governments of the setting. But I can't decide which badge should be for which government. 

Here are some of the badges:
badges_UN.png.9afc568aa6b12a1f5821b19b3afe1d38.pngbadges_sword.png.f74c2f66e0372d187d2ff700a20aa022.pngbadges_supernova.png.aeabf842a3ace8987684e878155de5ac.pngbadges_star.png.de42678abb07ce520b00dc2e058ee073.pngbadges_galaxy.png.b23d933daca5bf343b73990c44804416.png

Here are some of the governments I have:

Cethalarn Directorate (this is the one of the two I really need to decide on soon)
Terran Federation (this is the other one)
Free Community Union
League of Worlds

 

 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...