Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

19 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Sounds like there needs to be an incremental scale for charges for reprogramming within a certain time period.  For instance, once every two years gets the base rate,  If it needs to be re-programmed because of a change of service providers at less than a two year interval, the cost increments to the next tier.  Same thing for one year, six month, three month, etc time periods, with each shorter interval incurring a higher fee for the re-programming service.

There's a difference between "needing service" and "abusing the system".

sounds like this customer is an abuser.

GEM

This is sort of built in. 

The OEM vendor who's credit card processing module we use charges based on how recently the firmware was last updated. Less than 30 days, no charge at all, then starts at $75, and the older the software is, it goes up until there is a max charge of like $280-300 at 2-3 years.  

Our rate is based on the max rate, plus our average labor rate for doing the programming & paperwork.  We charge that as a flat fee, regardless of how much we get charged by our vendor. 

So the company already makes more profit on someone who changed six months ago vs someone who changed three years ago.   We techs are given authority to charge less if we feel the situation warrants it, but we rarely do.  Well, I rarely  do, anyway. 

The only time I'll charge less is when it is clearly something outside the customer's control, such as the processer being unable to provide a working setup sheet.  The most extreme situation I waived the fee for was a guy who's processor decided to hold his funds hostage until he upgraded from dial up to internet. The big problem was they took weeks to acknowledge what they were doing and and then a few more to agree to an acceptable solution.  But then when they heard he was going to switch processors as part of the upgrade, they made him agree to processing via internet on their platform as a requirement for releasing his funds, figuring it would be too much of a pain for him to switch after the initial setup.   After he got his $30k of withheld funds from them, which took another few weeks, we switched him to another processor, and I only charged him the bare minimum I had to. His old processor was pissed off, but there was nothing they could do - he was really careful to make sure there were no contract terms that would lock him to them - they were counting on the  same complacency that kept him from upgrading to internet in the first place to keep him with them. 

Charging him less paid off, too - the customer was so grateful I did what I could to help him get his money back - money he would have lost as a result of his own inactions, he's been really, really good at upgrading his system on a regular basis since then. 

• Like 11

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Sounds to me like you need some de-compression time so your brain is able to sort out the various timelines without any further distractions.

GEM

Soon! In two weeks I will be in the alpines with my mom, since she couldn’t go our regular time due to step-father breaking a hip. Should decompress a bit. 

2 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

I'm not filtering today.

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

>schedules Froggy for a vet visit to check on broken filter<

Guess filter feeding wasn’t what the salesman promised! Back to flies I suppose?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I have someone with an 825 area code number that keeps calling my direct extension at work, but won't leave a message. Ten calls in the last five working days. 

The number doesn't come up in our database, nor in any of my email conversations. 

Web search says that's an overlay area code for the entire province of Alberta, Canada.

So it's somebodies mobile phone somewhere in the province.

If it was me, I'd put a block on the number.

GEM

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Web search says that's an overlay area code for the entire province of Alberta, Canada.

So it's somebodies mobile phone somewhere in the province.

If it was me, I'd put a block on the number.

GEM

I want to be all nuoooooh, it's hard enough to remember that the 587 area code is here too... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

So, I've been out of it for a while, but is this a thing we knew was coming?

PXL_20230925_220700705.thumb.jpg.cb5fc6a981d9ef456b7373dd0824fb52.jpg

I think it was officially announced at RCon this year. Like most Reaper KS, I'll probably back, ha ha.

Thou I will admit, I'm more leaning toward Dragonbane or Shadowdark as an alternate rpg system to run these days. Still, I apprecaite @ReaperWolf & Reaper's efforts to put out a new rpg system.

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

If it was my cell phone, I would.  But since it's my extension on the company's VOIP system, I have no control over that. 

So the next question is who maintains the VOIP System and is there any way you can talk to them and explain the situation?

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 4