Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

1 hour ago, CaptainPete said:

So... You're dead inside and welcome the sweet embrace of the forever nap? :ph34r::lol:

Negative on the nap. Got too many hobbies that I’d want to work. Just had the sad thought of becoming a ghost and the repetitive action my disembodied spirit is trying to accomplish is a wet blend and work through the pile of minis before I can ascend. 

The whole “dead inside” was about four years ago (right smack dab at one half of male life expectancy; go fig). It got better with the previous program where there was a lot of design and testing I could do. New program is overseeing a subcontracted mechanism, so that threatens to continue to hollow out the trunk. 

The saving grace here is that it is taking very little of my time, and I have nearly reached a level of professionalism where I am allowed to float the program to consult, advise, and more or less work on things I deem needing worked. The highest level of technical professional here are given their own charge number and allowed to help any program that needs it, without impact to that program’s budget. So nearly there I feel. 

Now, I was going to joke that I just need my paying the occasional Tax For People Bad At Math (aka Powerball) to relieve me completely from financial obligations. But I realize that getting my numbers right would just allow me to collect more hobbies that I don’t have time for and see me starting some boutique hobby companies (Japanese hot bath resorts and an aerospace research group) that would severely drain time from my current hobbies and not necessarily be profitable. I don’t have time for that!

Probably will pay the tax again for funsies, but I’m screwed if I win. Although, suppose I could blow some of it renting a cruise ship and doing a mini convention at sea. That’d combine FU money with hobby, which works. And satisfy the constant urge to be aboard a cruise ship.

Okay. Stop. I need to go “work” which currently consists of reading 30 year old research papers on the topic of spring relaxation over decades and some “how to do things better” papers that are only 20 years old. Had the thought to try to get money to do additional research to expand things that I need but that seems like work. Or I can try to get that slicer software added to my laptop so I can Agile parts that I am also overseeing. Decisions, decisions!

Oh look. Lunch time already. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got home last night and when I had time to attend to my Forge of Empires game I had a Guild Member who became upset over a long standing guild Policy, threw a childish temper tantrum and basically wrecked the entire Guild.

Spent the rest of the evening trying to contact the Guild Members this child in I don't know what size body had kicked out of the Guild because he could.  He had the ability to do this because of bundled permissions that were granted so it could take actions in the Guild vs Guild Battleground portion of the game.

Contacted support and got back a basically 'We're sorry for your problem but we don't take any action on Guild Problems" response.

I spent about half an hour crafting a very polite response explaining to the "moderator" that about 30 people have now had their impression of Forge of Empire tarnished, and when they started talking about it on Social Media the tarnish would be spread far and wide. I further remarked that enough of this sort of incident and InfoGames would see a financial impact.

TGIF

I keep paper records on my Guild Mates so I was able to contact most of them and a number have responded, all want back in the Guild as soon as the game rules will allow.  They all are of the opinion the Rogue Player did EVIL.

I've had a message exchange with the perpetrator, who is using childish self justification for his perceived being wronged by me to do an evil act against others.  It's a case study in the mind of the psychopath, which I don't wish to pursue further.

Needless to say, I will be putting on my "Lord Ventinari" cap and making a couple of adjustments to the Guild Policies, including excluding anyone who puts up the badge for skill in plundering.

Why do people do these things?

I have a [worse] headache now.

GEM

• Like 3
  • Sad 11

Reaper Discord:

ReaperJon — Today at 2:35 PM

Hey Everyone! @News

A special kind of reaperland today! with our partners at Mirrorscape, showing off and talking all things Mirrorscape!

www.Twitch.tv/reaperminiatures at 3:00pm CST

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, TGP said:

I understand none of this guild stuff. :huh:

Unless you play Forge of Empires it won't make a whole lot of sense.

Suffice it to say that the Guild System is supposed to be a way for players to band together to support each other and through various activities advance the individual players through Collective Activity.

or example, the Guild I founded has advanced to the point where production of goods and coins that have a base time of 4 hours per cycle take the Guild Members just over 3 hours per cycle.  That allows one or two extra production cycles per day, a significant advantage.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Back in May:

Customer:  We're having Problem A ever since we did our upgrade. 
Me (after looking into it): Not sure why you're having problem A as I've never seen this before, but I do see problem B, and I have seen problem B cause similar issues, if you don't do Process M on a regular basis. (I have also never seen a site that has let Problem B get so far out of hand.)  Unfortunately, you've let problem B go for so long, that has caused problem C, and you're going to have to use Solution X, because Process M will no longer work correctly. Once you have done solution X, make sure to do Process M on a regular basis. 
Customer: No one ever told me I had to do Process M!* I don't like Solution X, because it causes Inconvenience Q.   Why does it cause Inconvenience Q? It never used to do that. 
Me: What you call Inconvenience Q, is actually Solution Y to Problems D, E, F & G and is now standard.  I'm sorry you don't like that change, but over all, the system works better because of Solution Y. 

Today:

Customer: We're still having Problem A. 

Me (investigating): You still haven't done Solution X. 

Customer: No, because of Inconvenience Q. Can't you change our software back? 

🤦‍♂️

*Process M is literally part of our training documentation AND listed on the Periodic Maintenance Schedule. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 7

Dusting of the kilt for the Highland Gathering today...

4 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Tax For People Bad At Math (aka Powerball)

I like this name for it. I always seem to get people questioning why I don't want to play lotteries, even after I've explained that I've got a degree in maths and understand the odds.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Probably will pay the tax again for funsies, but I’m screwed if I win.

It would be an absolutely terrible burden, but I'll take all that evil money so you don't need to trouble yourself with it. ::D:

• Haha 9

11 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

It would be an absolutely terrible burden, but I'll take all that evil money so you don't need to trouble yourself with it. ::D:

//makes the poor wolf the money manager, turning two lives into hellish landscapes of untold levels of woe and suffering 

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, sumbloke said:
6 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Tax For People Bad At Math (aka Powerball)

I like this name for it. I always seem to get people questioning why I don't want to play lotteries, even after I've explained that I've got a degree in maths and understand the odds.

Odds to win the Jackpot are 1 in 292 million. The cash value lump sum is 644 million. The minimum required bet is $2.  2 X 292 = 584.  So does that mean since 644 > 584 that at least the risk/reward ratio is at sort of a breakeven… or in a sense fair?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

Odds to win the Jackpot are 1 in 292 million. The cash value lump sum is 644 million. The minimum required bet is $2.  2 X 292 = 584.  So does that mean since 644 > 584 that at least the risk/reward ratio is at sort of a breakeven… or in a sense fair?

Errr…. I’d have to really look that up. 

But, getting hit by lightning is 1 in 15,300 during one’s life, and 1 in a million in any year. 

Getting attacked and killed by a shark is 1 in 3.7 million. 

Getting hit by a meteor is from 1 in 870k to 840 million.

People generally aren’t good at evaluating statistics. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

A number of us who volunteer at the Railroad Museum in Carson City have been playing the "what if I win the Lottery game" and there seems to be a universal consensus that efforts involving attention getting sums of cash would be expended to repatriate certain pieces of railroad equipment that have scattered to the four winds to Northern Nevada.  A second objective would involve expanding the Museum footprint by expanding the available grounds so additional track could be added to the main line and additional covered storage provided for the expanded equipment roster. 

A third objective would be the expediting of the reproduction of the first Virginia and Truckee Locomotive, the Lyon, being completed and put into active steam service.  The engine was started a couple of decades ago by a fellow in Mason City, Iowa who made it big in tech and the building of this reproduction of a late 1860s steam engine, the original manufactured by Booth & Co of San Francisco, Cal, and donating the finished locomotive to the Nevada State Railroad Museum.  He ran out of money after completing the big pieces and gifted the project to the Museum a couple of years ago.  The shop is gradually working on the project, including correcting some "mistakes" made in the original construction based on actual practical steam locomotive experience.  One of our volunteers is a master woodworker and has nearly completed a cab for the engine in rock maple [it's gorgeous and there is debate on whether to paint it {as was the original}or varnish it so the full beauty of the wood may be appreciated].

It is a testament to the dedication and love these people have for this museum that should they attain "life changing" sums of windfall money they are thinking about dedicating major sums of money to  our collective hobby.

GEM

• Like 8

So I was already to game Witchlight tomorrow morning, but one player has a wedding to attend (not his, I had to ask). In a way, I'm happy & I'm not. I can now mow the yard as it really needs it + do some hobbies I would have done after the game, but I can spend more time on now. 

Currently trying to get a order for the Ghoulie bag. One bad thing about having so many ReaperCon Boneyard trips & a resin printer is, actually hard to get to that amount these days. I might as well go for $50, as I have RCon gift credit & it's free shipping.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Not really. When the jackpot gets high there's usually so many people entering that you're unlikely to be the sole winner. If there's only one other winner you'd only get 322 million.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1