Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

13 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

I got home last night and when I had time to attend to my Forge of Empires game I had a Guild Member who became upset over a long standing guild Policy, threw a childish temper tantrum and basically wrecked the entire Guild.

Spent the rest of the evening trying to contact the Guild Members this child in I don't know what size body had kicked out of the Guild because he could.  He had the ability to do this because of bundled permissions that were granted so it could take actions in the Guild vs Guild Battleground portion of the game.

Contacted support and got back a basically 'We're sorry for your problem but we don't take any action on Guild Problems" response.

I spent about half an hour crafting a very polite response explaining to the "moderator" that about 30 people have now had their impression of Forge of Empire tarnished, and when they started talking about it on Social Media the tarnish would be spread far and wide. I further remarked that enough of this sort of incident and InfoGames would see a financial impact.

TGIF

I keep paper records on my Guild Mates so I was able to contact most of them and a number have responded, all want back in the Guild as soon as the game rules will allow.  They all are of the opinion the Rogue Player did EVIL.

I've had a message exchange with the perpetrator, who is using childish self justification for his perceived being wronged by me to do an evil act against others.  It's a case study in the mind of the psychopath, which I don't wish to pursue further.

Needless to say, I will be putting on my "Lord Ventinari" cap and making a couple of adjustments to the Guild Policies, including excluding anyone who puts up the badge for skill in plundering.

Why do people do these things?

I have a [worse] headache now.

GEM

I still believe most people don't do such things. However there are some messed up individuals who will lash out at everyone and everything when things aren't going their way.

You're wise to take precautions for the next time, maybe put even more limits to who can moderate/adjust settings etc.

This is the kind of person who knocks over the board when losing a boardgame.

I never liked that kind of behaviour, sure I like to win, I really like to win, but in the end it's a fr**king game, right?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I still believe most people don't do such things. However there are some messed up individuals who will lash out at everyone and everything when things aren't going their way.

You're wise to take precautions for the next time, maybe put even more limits to who can moderate/adjust settings etc.

I never liked that kind of behaviour, sure I like to win, I really like to win, but in the end it's a fr**king game, right?

Thank you for that.

I've already decided that certain adjustments are necessary, also certain badges within the game will be used as a sorting device, anyone displaying a badge for skill at Plunder will be rejected without further discussion, nor will they be informed of the reason for their not being accepted into my game family.

GEM

• Like 6

14 hours ago, TGP said:

Odds to win the Jackpot are 1 in 292 million. The cash value lump sum is 644 million. The minimum required bet is $2.  2 X 292 = 584.  So does that mean since 644 > 584 that at least the risk/reward ratio is at sort of a breakeven… or in a sense fair?

14 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Errr…. I’d have to really look that up. 

People generally aren’t good at evaluating statistics. 

I got the figures from the Powerball webpage. 

But I’m not entirely certain I’m evaluating it right. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3

My Muskets and Tomahawks order came in the post yesterday. No minis yet, but I'm having a lovely time with the core rulebook. I don't know if I should be reading it before I go to bed though, I get some wicked cool wargaming ideas and my brain won't shut off. I read the rules for movement and I really want to try a skirmish with some mounted plains warriors. I've been picking up extra shifts at work #2 to try and make some extra cash to buy some "Indians". I really like Crucible Crush ones and they're made by a Canadian sculptor, so double awesome. 

I've always wanted to write an article for a gaming magazine, and I'm looking at Church history. Lately the official historians have been collecting documents into the Joseph Smith Papers, which are free online to read. I'm going to see how much detail I can find out about the very early days when the Saints and the locals were getting into it with each other. All the super nerdy historical things: armaments, town layout, number of forces, deployment, that kind of thing. There are a number of altrications that could make a fun skirmish. Plus, I should have no problem finding friends to playtest my scenarios! 

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Exactly!

I also like to win, but I'd rather have a good time, and hope my opponent does, too. That way, we can do it again next weekend! 

Back when I played Warhammer 40k, some of the most fun games I played were the ones that went almost literally down to the last few die rolls. Some of them I lost, but we would laugh and joke and go over the really exciting parts of the battle for an hour afterwards. THOSE are the good games, IMO anyway.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, sumbloke said:

Dusting of the kilt for the Highland Gathering today...

I like this name for it. I always seem to get people questioning why I don't want to play lotteries, even after I've explained that I've got a degree in maths and understand the odds.

Given interest rates at a lot of my banks, I've pretty much just started throwing the cost of a ticket into a bank account anytime I feel like I desperately want to get a ticket for the Lotto Max.  There's at least interest every month, versus $6 goes POOF and you're waiting to find out whether you got a free play or nothing.  The dreaming is nice, but unsurprisingly I only seem to be super tempted by it when funds are tight.. 

• Like 4

Yeah, the “bad at math” dig is really more directed to those that play constantly, with a set amount budgeted every month. 

Altria’s stock is currently paying over a 9% yield. Stock price is $42-ish. So for roughly two $20 bills (most stock brokers are free nowadays so no trade fees), you “win” nearly $4 every year. If someone was playing $20 a week on Powerball, they could put that $1040 into that stock and “win” a guaranteed $100 a year for life. Doesn’t seem like a lot, but do that for 20 years, and use the dividends to buy more, and it starts to get significant.

Course, this requires the company formally known as Philip Morris to continue to be able to sell cigarettes, but I have been warned about tobacco’s Soon(tm) demise for several decades. There are other good dividend stocks out there. 

• Like 5

I managed to wrap up several minis in the last 24 hours. I'm having trouble with some of Bones Black minis just not wanting to take paint. The Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz set is currently the bane of my existence. Also has some very mushy details. I didn't realize that he's supposed to have a rifle until I got some paint on it. He looks cool. I just hate painting him.

Now, I need to decide which big mini I want to tackle. I can either go a 3D printed t-rex I picked up a few years ago or a large Satan on a throne. I'm not going to paint the dinosaur brown, as I've been painting western and Deadlands minis, so I've had my fill of brown, so I'm thinking it's going to be green. I just don't know which one I want to paint first...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Yeah, the “bad at math” dig is really more directed to those that play constantly, with a set amount budgeted every month. 

Altria’s stock is currently paying over a 9% yield. Stock price is $42-ish. So for roughly two $20 bills (most stock brokers are free nowadays so no trade fees), you “win” nearly $4 every year. If someone was playing $20 a week on Powerball, they could put that $1040 into that stock and “win” a guaranteed $100 a year for life. Doesn’t seem like a lot, but do that for 20 years, and use the dividends to buy more, and it starts to get significant.

Course, this requires the company formally known as Philip Morris to continue to be able to sell cigarettes, but I have been warned about tobacco’s Soon(tm) demise for several decades. There are other good dividend stocks out there. 

For me, I'd be happy enough with a combination of VEQT and PSA, with dividend re-investment enabled...  But it's a feature not all brokers have (thankfully mine does, plus fractional investing which is especially handy).  But I'm also boring and do the automated passive investing thing (automated as in it comes off my cheque for RRSP, and for TFSA it's a set deposit a business day or two after payday), because I can ignore it except for the two times a year I put the info into a spreadsheet and do any balancing (which usually doesn't vary far off target due to biweekly payments into said funds). 

But yeah, I definitely agree on the savings part, doubly so if paired with a high interest savings account, as compound interest adds up rather quickly, but is especially noticeable in the long term. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CaptainPete said:

I managed to wrap up several minis in the last 24 hours. I'm having trouble with some of Bones Black minis just not wanting to take paint. The Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz set is currently the bane of my existence. Also has some very mushy details. I didn't realize that he's supposed to have a rifle until I got some paint on it. He looks cool. I just hate painting him.

Now, I need to decide which big mini I want to tackle. I can either go a 3D printed t-rex I picked up a few years ago or a large Satan on a throne. I'm not going to paint the dinosaur brown, as I've been painting western and Deadlands minis, so I've had my fill of brown, so I'm thinking it's going to be green. I just don't know which one I want to paint first...

rex1.jpg?w=700&h=391&crop=1

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Exactly!

I also like to win, but I'd rather have a good time, and hope my opponent does, too. That way, we can do it again next weekend! 

Back when I played Warhammer 40k, some of the most fun games I played were the ones that went almost literally down to the last few die rolls. Some of them I lost, but we would laugh and joke and go over the really exciting parts of the battle for an hour afterwards. THOSE are the good games, IMO anyway.

One of the most fun games of Blood Bowl I've had was at a tournament where I made a loud announcement to everybody around "passing with the Troll Slayer". And my opponent was cheering me on.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Well the the Ball of Heattm is still blazing. Finally mowed my yard (weekend before RC last time) & while it was nice outside (currently 76F here) it's still hot out there pushing a mower along. It probably didn't help I had a black t-shirt on as well.

Now on to ordering a few hobby things, mainly my Ghoulie Bag order.

• Like 7