Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Well, apparently today is going to act like Monday. 

Already this morning I've had to deal with:

- a site that wants to transition to a wireless internet provider, despite being repeatedly told that we don't recommend wireless internet connections for our point of sale equipment (while wireless is fine for most things, it can cause issues with credit card processing at the volumes many sites are capable of.)

- I submitted an order this morning on behalf of what appeared to be a confused Canadian customer, only to get it kicked back to me with a "WTF? How did you get involved?" from the Calgary office. Turns out the guy is trying to end run his distributor, and appears to be trying to trick us into basically giving him a Chip & Tap upgrade worth tens of thousands by claiming he was told the upgrade I'm selling him (for less than a thousand) will do that.  Fortunately for me, I've clearly stated at least twice in my email conversations with him that it is for just one specific thing, and won't do that.  The girl that kicked it back to me said he's tried this broccoli before, and we have to be really careful with him.  Looking back over our email conversation yesterday, I think he deliberately contacted us yesterday, knowing I would likely be the one working.  I did training for him a few months ago when he bought the site, so he knew I was the only US person working for the company. 

There's also all the issues of a wireless signal being hacked and used to steal their customers information and subsequently use that information for nefarious purposes.

Which the [your] customer could be found liable for.

Edited by Green Eyed Monsty
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am up way too early for a vacation day. Trying to stay hydrated at altitude isn’t going well. Stuffy nose and frequent toilet trips won’t let me sleep, but I am not that sleepy anyway. After an hour and a half of laying in bed without slumber, I give up and will cruise the web until the others awake. 

Did get five solid hours of straight sleep which is a bit unusual. Maybe I simply got enough REM for the night and so am ready to start the day. No sunrise to watch. It’ll become day and somewhere around 9 the sun will peek out over the mountains.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

There's also all the issues of a wireless signal being hacked and used to steal their customers information and subsequently use that information for nefarious purposes.

Which the [your] customer could be found liable for.

More true for WiFi, but what he wants to do is switch from DSL to either a 5g cell, a satellite or microwave connection, which usually have much higher encryption standards than WiFi. 

The big problem we have with Wireless internet connections is what I call "micro outages" that only last 3-4 seconds tops.  If you're browsing on a PC or streaming a video, it's not a big deal - it's usually handled by buffering or the browser repeating a request.   But you can't buffer or repeat a request for a credit card transaction without seriously risking double charging the card holder.   So what happens on our system is you end up getting a lot of card declines and frustrated customers depending on how frequent these micro outages are and how busy the site is. 

The guy hasn't told me which wireless provider he's considering, so I have no idea on the reliability, but I do know it's a busy site, which means they're probably going to experience this a lot more than they do now with their DSL provider. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

22 hours ago, TGP said:

I have had aspirations. I have renounced them all. But, never have I **ever, aspired to be that annoying little git of a DM. 

He's probably the worst example of a DM to take tips from. But at least he could make up riddles that children could solve. :lol:

FB_IMG_1696867624705.jpg

• Haha 14

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

@haldir if you haven't heard this, enjoy. If you have , enjoy anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GIDBkwi-nc

Yup, I've heard that one, thou it's been many years since I've last heard it. IIRC, I think it was amongst my grandmother's record collection. We probably listen to it along with Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans" & "North to Alaska". Memories!!

• Like 5