Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

…there should be some other way into the base - I'm just having a hard time coming up with a reasonable explanation for such beyond a "hey PCs, look at this convenient back door." 

This is a secret base ?

What is based there? Missiles, Army, Servers, Attack shuttles, Stealth SDBs..?

What big ticket items exist inside the secret base? Reactor, Ion Generator, Warp Core, Particle Accelerators….whatever big ticket equipment the base possesses got installed somehow. Just not through a little personnel elevator a few boxes of parts at a time. 

How do big shipments of food and other consumables get into the base?  How many personnel are there?  How are they fed?  What is their water supply and air source (I assume both could be recycled—but that means big equipment) if they need to replenish. 

The answers to those questions will help dictate other access points. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

OK, I need some brainstorming help. 

In my Traveller campaign, bad guys have a secret base hidden beneath a legitimate base on a small moon of a Gas Giant. Right now my drawings and notes say there is only one way into this secret facility, and that is by entering a secret code into the elevator down to the engineering level, which will then allow the elevator to go to the secret levels 8 stories below the engineering level. 

The PCs need to storm or infiltrate this base to rescue one of their own (new player/PC, playing sister of existing PC).  

This is supposed to be a secure facility, known only to a few dozen people at most, so having only the one entrance makes sense from that standpoint. But I'm thinking that to give the PCs a fair chance of a successful extraction, there should be some other way into the base - I'm just having a hard time coming up with a reasonable explanation for such beyond a "hey PCs, look at this convenient back door." 

I should probably also mention that this particular session is more about the players investigating the situation and making a reasonable plan, rather than the actual implementation.   The more creative they get about devising a plan that involves more than brute force, the better their chances of success. After all, the bad guys don't know they're coming. Yet. 

To keep it secret the Big Bad Guy had all the builders killed after construction. Or so he thought. One escaped and knows there is a secondary way in or out, the Big Boss' Escape tunnel.

• Like 6

WOOF FOOD LOG

Remember, you can eat like this as well.

Just:

join-us-a29e29d3f8.jpg.c68b4b6c4b09b35d21ca5db528819029.jpg

Lasagna!

20231002_170536.jpg.9a6b1034596903b043627f5127a64e24.jpg20231002_170742.jpg.42a66ae64d1d17c9302f878f7544566f.jpg

Pasta Pesto with Chicken

20231003_180716.jpg.f408641c900d8949d73d4f3e5930d1d4.jpg

Persian Flatbread with a Ground Beef/Veggies filling in a spicy Tomato Sauce with Ajvar.

20231005_173723.jpg.96cabf624a07063342d517eecc526ca1.jpg

20231005_173719.jpg.964ed933988db1ea5ec99838123fc755.jpg

Chicken and Veggies in Black Bean Sauce with Rice

20231009_175157.jpg.ceefffc83387fe41e17baae82e1b627c.jpg

Lasagna and Caprese Salad

20231004_174937.jpg.b7be4c02f29938db30818d5154c9e21e.jpg

Fussili ( Wholewheat) with Ground Beef /Veggies in a Tomato Sauce and Grana Padano

20231010_175715.jpg.c1bb0802f078efbcc1193e83b479a116.jpg

Grilled Sirloin Steak in Argentinian Rub, Green Asparagus with Grana Padano and Sea Salt, Gnocchi with Green Pesto and Ricotta ( fried)

20231011_172231.jpg.360b017e24b174bb81edffe2cccd4b0e.jpg

Shakshuka

( Turkish Pide not in the pic)

IMG-20231006-WA0002.thumb.jpg.410b46cb2c6ab07f1eabdfb39fb458ad.jpg

Adana Kebab in Tomato Sauce with Grilled Zucchini with lemon/garlic/oregano and Fried Za'atar/Garlic Potatoes, a little garlic sauce and olives with feta and tomatoes on the side.

20231012_173325.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Possible weak point:  

Unless everyone in the legit base is also a bad guy and thus has access to the secret base beneath, how do the bad guys get into their secret base without attracting attention? If there's only a few dozen people that know of it/work there, eventually they're going to notice these other people that walk in the front door and get on the elevator but never show up for meetings, work assignments, or pizza parties.

That I thought of.  Overall, this part was inspired by the rumor of a secret base under Denver International Airport. 

The base is on a small (500km) moon that is used as the training ground for what is basically a large mercenary outfit doing business as a security corporation. The primary base is located at the "equator" of the moon, and this particular base is located at one of the poles.  The two bases are connected by a maglev train.   There are always training exercises going on where groups of personnel are either shuttled out to the polar base and have to make their way back to the main base or the start at the main base and make their way overland to the polar base. There are also cargo deliveries via both maglev and ship.  So there are ALWAYS lots of non-permanent people and cargo coming and going from the base. The legit base commander and his senior staff knows about the secret base, but doesn't know the nature of the work going on there. 

Since the work going on there is more, shall we say, intellectual, rather than industrial, the required supplies are rather easy to "bury" in among the other supplies for the base and its largely transient population. 

Yes, there are rumors among the "regular" folk and employees about secret goings on there - it is speculated that the corporation's Division 66 is doing something in the lower levels.  Division 66 is officially the R&D arm of the corporation. 

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

To keep it secret the Big Bad Guy had all the builders killed after construction. Or so he thought. One escaped and knows there is a secondary way in or out, the Big Boss' Escape tunnel.

Nah, the secret part of the base was built as one of several modules that were constructed at an off system ship yard for the primary base, and simply lowered into the hole that was created for the polar base.  This particular module was simply "lost" in transit. The personnel who did this just think it was the engineering section of the base, and have all been discretely transferred to separate postings on other worlds of the Directorate. The legit part of the base was also done as modules, but by a different crew.  Division 66 personnel made the final connections between the two parts. 

I foresee a few different routes for the PCs to get info on the base, but IMO, their best bet is to start querying official databases for permits and plans.  The group does have a few PCs with levels in things like Admin and Advocate, and each player is getting a "cheat sheet" with various little things their PCs knows based on their backgrounds and skill sets - so if the players do some brainstorming as a group, they should make some connections.   Other options are to simply sit in orbit and scan the base and/or to see if they can liquor up a few of the right people. And since they picked up some legitimate corporate uniforms in a previous adventure, there is always the "let's put the uniforms on and go poke around completely unprepared" option. 

In more As the Car Wash Turns drama:

So the Realtor new owner guy I mentioned on Wednesday is freaking out this morning.  Today is the official day they take over the wash, and because they broke the remote access connection on Wednesday by having their new internet installed, I can't do their merchant programming today.

This morning I sent them instructions on how to put the system on hold, which will stop the transactions from going to the old owner, and temporarily store them until we can get remote access restored and their system programmed.  

Well now the Realtor is freaking out because he "was under the impression that all the paperwork he filled out, including paying the reprogramming fee would handle all of this today." 

Apparently, he is out of town, and they had no plans to go to the site today. Who the heck buys a business, and doesn't show up there on the first day of ownership? 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

That I thought of.  Overall, this part was inspired by the rumor of a secret base under Denver International Airport. 

The base is on a small (500km) moon that is used as the training ground for what is basically a large mercenary outfit doing business as a security corporation. The primary base is located at the "equator" of the moon, and this particular base is located at one of the poles.  The two bases are connected by a maglev train.   There are always training exercises going on where groups of personnel are either shuttled out to the polar base and have to make their way back to the main base or the start at the main base and make their way overland to the polar base. There are also cargo deliveries via both maglev and ship.  So there are ALWAYS lots of non-permanent people and cargo coming and going from the base. The legit base commander and his senior staff knows about the secret base, but doesn't know the nature of the work going on there. 

Since the work going on there is more, shall we say, intellectual, rather than industrial, the required supplies are rather easy to "bury" in among the other supplies for the base and its largely transient population. 

Yes, there are rumors among the "regular" folk and employees about secret goings on there - it is speculated that the corporation's Division 66 is doing something in the lower levels.  Division 66 is officially the R&D arm of the corporation. 

Nah, the secret part of the base was built as one of several modules that were constructed at an off system ship yard for the primary base, and simply lowered into the hole that was created for the polar base.  This particular module was simply "lost" in transit. The personnel who did this just think it was the engineering section of the base, and have all been discretely transferred to separate postings on other worlds of the Directorate. The legit part of the base was also done as modules, but by a different crew.  Division 66 personnel made the final connections between the two parts. 

I foresee a few different routes for the PCs to get info on the base, but IMO, their best bet is to start querying official databases for permits and plans.  The group does have a few PCs with levels in things like Admin and Advocate, and each player is getting a "cheat sheet" with various little things their PCs knows based on their backgrounds and skill sets - so if the players do some brainstorming as a group, they should make some connections.   Other options are to simply sit in orbit and scan the base and/or to see if they can liquor up a few of the right people. And since they picked up some legitimate corporate uniforms in a previous adventure, there is always the "let's put the uniforms on and go poke around completely unprepared" option. 

In more As the Car Wash Turns drama:

So the Realtor new owner guy I mentioned on Wednesday is freaking out this morning.  Today is the official day they take over the wash, and because they broke the remote access connection on Wednesday by having their new internet installed, I can't do their merchant programming today.

This morning I sent them instructions on how to put the system on hold, which will stop the transactions from going to the old owner, and temporarily store them until we can get remote access restored and their system programmed.  

Well now the Realtor is freaking out because he "was under the impression that all the paperwork he filled out, including paying the reprogramming fee would handle all of this today." 

Apparently, he is out of town, and they had no plans to go to the site today. Who the heck buys a business, and doesn't show up there on the first day of ownership? 

Okay. You've got a lot of booms going on in a training base, right? What if you have some smaller access tunnels, probably something for maintenance (venting waste heat, for example?) that have to be run to some other areas to help cover up the secret part of the base. Well, what those tunnels happen to run parallel to some natural tunnels from when the moon was first formed, like some lava tunnels that were mentioned? Now, what would happen if there was some bigger booms than normal, or just booms happening a lot over a long period of time. I may not be a space geologist, but I would hazard a guess that there might be a break between the those two sets of tunnels. Now, you've got an access point to the base. The best part is, you can have your group have to fake being maintenance people, the ones assigned to fix this random tunnel that isn't really important, but strangely has been put at the top of the To-Do list. This will give them a reason to be there, give them a way to bring the stuff their going to need to get in and get out, and make them feel like James Bond.

But that's just my thinking.

• Like 7

The big bosses hired a new feedlot manager a couple months ago. There was a sign at the bottom of the feedlot sign at the end of the yard with the old manager's contact details, and I thought someone had it removed. Yesterday I drove out of the yard and saw it bent and laying in the field. Turns out the cattle we put in the pasture removed it. It's a sad day when even the cattle thought it was time for a change in management. 

• Haha 11