Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

One is a lady who assumed that her recent minor system software upgrade was going to include a couple free hour of phone training.

I guess it depends. If the training she wants is to cover things which changed due to the upgrade, I can understand the expectation. If it's about things she should already know or things unrelated to the upgrade, she's overly optimistic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So...I was in charge of an event thingy this past weekend. It is the local/international film festival, and in January of this year I took over as the president since the previous president (and founder) had to step down due to family health concerns.

Now because the universe likes a joke now and then, naturally this just happened to be the year that it suddenly got BIG. This was primarily due to us screening a documentary about Richland, WA (where the film festival is held). Last year we sold 80 tickets online. This year we sold just over 400 (which doesn't include cash sales at the door!). It was the most surreal experience being in charge of an event which historically has seen less than 150 total ticket sales, and suddenly there's all these people and news stations are wanting to interview me and all the volunteers were asking me what they should be doing! We had to buy more concessions twice, and print more tickets three times! The last print run was crummy black and white ones off my home printer! :lol: Thank goodness we didn't run out of seats, but it was a very real concern.

My face was even on TV! Which is even more surreal! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GedyyGVaKl8. Of course the editor decided to pick the one part of the interview where I was the least certain of what I was saying so I looked like a dork. :rolleyes: There was a much nicer podcast interview that I did a few months ago, which I can send a link to anyone who's interested (since I'm not sure whether a Spotify link will work in the thread). One of my co-workers mentioned they'd seen me on the news over the weekend and I about died. :lol: I also found out that another of my co-workers was actually in one of the films that was submitted, so we discovered we actually have several friends in common, which was fun.

So, yeah. That happened. I'm still trying to process it all. Overall it went really well, at least that's what everyone keeps telling me, but I'm still too close to it to have a good perspective. There were a few bumps, but afterwards the previous president reassured me that there's always a few things that go sideways each year; the only difference is which thing it is that goes wrong.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OneBoot said:

So...I was in charge of an event thingy this past weekend. It is the local/international film festival, and in January of this year I took over as the president since the previous president (and founder) had to step down due to family health concerns.

Now because the universe likes a joke now and then, naturally this just happened to be the year that it suddenly got BIG. This was primarily due to us screening a documentary about Richland, WA (where the film festival is held). Last year we sold 80 tickets online. This year we sold just over 400 (which doesn't include cash sales at the door!). It was the most surreal experience being in charge of an event which historically has seen less than 150 total ticket sales, and suddenly there's all these people and news stations are wanting to interview me and all the volunteers were asking me what they should be doing! We had to buy more concessions twice, and print more tickets three times! The last print run was crummy black and white ones off my home printer! :lol: Thank goodness we didn't run out of seats, but it was a very real concern.

My face was even on TV! Which is even more surreal! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GedyyGVaKl8. Of course the editor decided to pick the one part of the interview where I was the least certain of what I was saying so I looked like a dork. :rolleyes: There was a much nicer podcast interview that I did a few months ago, which I can send a link to anyone who's interested (since I'm not sure whether a Spotify link will work in the thread). One of my co-workers mentioned they'd seen me on the news over the weekend and I about died. :lol: I also found out that another of my co-workers was actually in one of the films that was submitted, so we discovered we actually have several friends in common, which was fun.

So, yeah. That happened. I'm still trying to process it all. Overall it went really well, at least that's what everyone keeps telling me, but I'm still too close to it to have a good perspective. There were a few bumps, but afterwards the previous president reassured me that there's always a few things that go sideways each year; the only difference is which thing it is that goes wrong.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

You're famous!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

RTB Pro-Tips! SKU#30103 Cynthia the Wicked Witch! 10-19-23.  Started at 11:32 AM.

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

ETA: This is Anne's last stream of the week.  She has a doctor visit tomorrow and will be on vacation Saturday until Oct. 29.  Return date is Monday Oct. 30.

Edited by Serenity
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

I would like to request a signed mugshot please. ^.^

On 10/18/2023 at 8:40 AM, Chaoswolf said:

This didn't necessarily happen today, but here is today's bizarre news headline:

Woman stabs husband with squirrel.

@haldir Are you okay? 

• Like 8

18 hours ago, sumbloke said:

I guess it depends. If the training she wants is to cover things which changed due to the upgrade, I can understand the expectation. If it's about things she should already know or things unrelated to the upgrade, she's overly optimistic.

Unless people are jumping years worth of versions at a time, most changes are either intuitive, or only take a few minutes to explain the differences and/or can be handled via email. If they're jumping years worth across some of the major changes, sure, we'll build some training into the upgrade cost. 

But this lady wanted a minimum hour training session going over each of the new, but fairly self explanatory reports that her minor upgrade gave her. The "This meeting should have been an email" meme is sort of applicable here. 

9 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Can I have your autograph?  ::D:

Congratulations!

What, you don't have one already?  :devil:

@OneBootCongrats on the success!

54 minutes ago, TripleH said:

image.png.27f029d651c21c640e6ce877e406312d.png

Was in Target the other day, ,and they had a couple of Bluetooth speaker units that could put the size of 80's boom boxes to shame. 

Apparently the days of big speakers are coming back. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Pegazus said:

My attention span today approaches Planck lengths. Very annoying.

That just means that you need to use the turny thingy to adjust the sprockamabob a smidge.

( I counter you engineer speak with tech speak ) ::P:

• Haha 6