Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Anyone want to place any bets on how long it takes me to take down the Halloween decorations I put up at work? ::D:

2026 was being discussed in this thread...

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Once again, I had to prove I speak English at a conversational level. Of course I passed, but I won't get to pretend I'm an English major. Which is for the best since I'm an engineer.

Reason being I'm about to start a contract in Nunavut (Canadian northern territory), and since half of the workforce are first nation natives, everyone has to demonstrate that they can work in the English language used on site.

So I had on online written test that used timers (with no pause button at the same time one of my supervisors called) and a half-hour of conversation with an English teacher from Minnesota.

I had to do an English competence test to get into university, despite having got a score in my end of secondary school exams that's frankly impossible without being competent in the language. All because the curriculum is based on requiring students to be able to write essays quickly. I could write them fine, just not under time constraints.

• Like 6

Today was a "margarita as soon as my shoes are off" type of day.

Why they thought I would be happy doing systems engineering as a mechanical designer (and a damn fine CAD demon at that), I'll never know. All signs point to my current manager and former coworker thinking I did okay on the program we were both on a half decade ago and would be fine doing the same now. Not sure he knew how ready I was to quitting the company during that time.

I was NOT trained just so I could compare two documents all day and send the known differences to the subcontractor.

Happily, means I get to try out those margarita salts I got for my birthday.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

I had a surprise waiting for me in email form this morning at work. Someone nominated me for Engineer of the Year!  I don't know who or for what, but that's nice I guess.   I probably won't get past the first weed out round (there are 3), but winner gets flown to headquarters on the east coast for a wine and dine banquet. 

Edited by Citrine
Darn auto corrupt...
  • Like 16

7 hours ago, Arkady said:

Why even bother? Surely somebody will do the work for you when they feel they absolutely must start putting up the Christmas stuff.

I sincerely hope not, these are MY decorations. If someone takes them down, there's likely to be some very harsh language at the very least.

4 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Does "take them down" include when the glue on the tape holding them up finally fails and "gravity wins"?

GEM

Maybe...

19 minutes ago, Citrine said:

I had a surprise waiting for me in email form this morning at work. Someone nominated me for Engineer of the Year!  I don't know who or for what, but that's nice I guess.   I probably won't get past the first weed out round (there are 3), but winner gets flown to headquarters on the east coast for a wine and dine banquet. 

Good luck!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Does it count as "Christmas Decoration" if I put a Santa Hat on my two foot tall talking skeleton?

If anyone asks, just say it's a Santanic interpretation of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Does it count as "Christmas Decoration" if I put a Santa Hat on my two foot tall talking skeleton?

GEM

If it works for Tim Burton, it works for me.

715azeGiZ+L.jpg

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1