Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent 7 hours organizing paint with my brother yesterday. We got everything I could find and sorted it by line and miscellaneous. We did not however get to the MSP Core paints. I have 5 gallons (2.5 - 2 gallon bags) of core paints... As we were cleaning downstairs a bit ago he saw one that had fallen on the floor and said "Oh, good. It's not another Rose Gold. I would have flipped my broccoli." We laughed and he said not really but I do have quite a few bottles of Rose Gold...and Coal Black...and BCAP (at least 10 of these).

ETA:

I got my surgery scheduled. November 29th. I don't know a time yet, they will call me the day before. I have a lot to do before then.

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 9

On today's episode of "How the Car Wash Turns"

I got educate the junior software developer about wash mapping.   What is wash mapping, you ask? 

It's making sure that every piece of equipment in the "chain" of buying a car wash and receiving that car wash knows which wash is which, and where applicable set to the same price.  For example:, when you buy a car wash at the gas pump, the pump will generally give you 3 or 4 options.  You pick your wash type, and drive to the front of the car wash, enter or scan your code, and drive in and get your wash. 

What you don't see is that the code or bar code the gas pump gives you comes from the register controller, the register controller gets that code from the wash controller. When you enter the code in the teller, it asks the wash controller what wash it's supposed to me, and them upon receiving the answer from the wash controller, sends the appropriate signal to the wash itself.  So in the simplified, ideal version, you have this:

Gas Pump         Wash Teller     Automatic Car Wash

Wash 1              Wash 1             Wash 1

Wash 2              Wash 2             Wash 2

Wash 3              Wash 3             Wash 3

Seems straightforward enough, right?  The above is what you see on the menus of the various devices you interact with as customers. 

What you don't see is the behind the scenes stuff that tracks how these washes are paid for, and for what price.  So the reality looks a little bit more like this:

Gas Pump     Register Controller     Wash Controller     Wash Teller     Automatic Car Wash

Wash 1          Wash 1   (Full Price)       Wash 1  (Code)        Wash 1             Wash 1

Wash 2          Wash 2   (Full Price)       Wash 2   (Code)        Wash 2             Wash 2

Wash 3          Wash 3   (Full Price)       Wash 3   (Code)        Wash 3             Wash 3

Wash 1   (Discount)       Wash 1   (Code)        Wash 1             Wash 1

Wash 2   (Discount)       Wash 2  (Code)        Wash 2             Wash 2

Wash 3   (Discount)       Wash 3  (Code)        Wash 3             Wash 3

Wash 1   (Cash)        Wash 1             Wash 1

Wash 2  (Cash)        Wash 2             Wash 2

Wash 3  (Cash)        Wash 3             Wash 3

Add in Free, Credit Cards, internal accounts, etc. The more wash packages you have, the longer the lists get. 

Again, all of the above is the way it is when everything is the same on all pieces of equipment (which are usually from 2-4 different manufacturers).  But the reality is often that one installer orders there washes from 1 being the most expensive to 3 being the cheapest, while another one sets their equipment with 1 being the cheapest to 3 being the most expensive.  

Since the equipment I work on is typically the "middle man" - the wash controller and Wash Teller,  So we have tools to "remap" the washes, so that we can compensate when the gas pump installer doesn't talk to the wash installer (which they usually don't).  So the simplified version would look like this:

Gas Pump         Wash Teller     Automatic Car Wash

Wash 3  $10      Wash 1  $10     Wash 1 $10

Wash 2  $8        Wash 2  $8       Wash 2 $8

Wash 1  $6        Wash 3  $6       Wash 3 $6

Again, simplified version. Most sites have between 12 & 16 of these things that have to be mapped out. And the latest trend in the industry is for roll overs to have both soft touch and touchless options for customers to choose from, which doubles the possibilities to 24-32. 

When you change one thing without considering the rest of the chain, you break things.   For example, let's say the gas pump guy realized somehow that his wash 1-3 ordering was backwards, and so decided to "fix it" to match everything else - so that his wash 1 was now $10, and his wash 3 was $6.   That creates a problem where his fix actually broke everything else. 

Now that I've explained the back story, here is why I had to educate the junior software developer.  Yep, he "fixed" something.  During the installation of this complicated site with seven discrete wash packages, he made changes to the program in the teller so it would arm the right wash on the machine, without any understanding of how that would affect the communications with the wash controller and the 28 different wash types that are tracked there. 

So now the reports are all messed up, and worse, all the internally created fleet accounts the site has made are arming the wrong wash and charging the wrong price to the account. Fortunately, this particular site is not attached to a gas station, so all of the issues are internal to our system, but it's a pain in the bottom, because things never should have been broken like that in the first place. 

Hopefully the junior software developer has learned his lesson. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

18 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

zelda-curious-zelda-cut-my-life-into-pieces-this-is-my-cardboard-fort-6-cat-has-dropped-gallon-lsd.jpg

This cat has seen things.......

Great session of D&D last night at the FLGS. I think for the first time since I've been running games there, I didn't roll a single imitative roll.  It was mostly the players interacting with the townsfolk in a inn & others deciding to move on to the records hall to do some research. These & anyone that did step out of the inn were subjected to some saving throws & situations if they failed those rolls. Overall thou I was pleased with my group. I was wondering how they could handle a bit of role-playing vs roll-playing & they did pretty good.

Next week, they will have combat as that is when the Headless Horseman shows & some other events in that town they are trapped in (Shadowfell & all).

• Like 8

So, finished the Star Wars third trilogy. How is it people seem to either love or hate it? What I saw was perfectly mediocre space opera with just what you'd expect from that: maybe midly more action than really necessary, some emotional high notes and a couple of logic holes you could drive a galaxy far, far away through.

Okay, maybe making it look like some anonymous rando would be the culmination of a nine-film saga for the first two films of the last triology wasn't the best of ideas; I can see how long-term fans would have disliked that for not feeling like a proper ending to the saga. But I guess they had to hold the granddaddy reveal until the final movie because otherwise it would have pretty much given away that big comeback. 

At least that's the end of it. They're not going to do another round of films going back to the run-dry Skywalker/Palpatine well or introducing a completely new, completely unexpected, might manage to fail Ori levels badly new villain.

Whaddya mean, they're planning another Rey film set 15 years later?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

So, finished the Star Wars third trilogy. How is it people seem to either love or hate it? What I saw was perfectly mediocre space opera with just what you'd expect from that: maybe midly more action than really necessary, some emotional high notes and a couple of logic holes you could drive a galaxy far, far away through.

Okay, maybe making it look like some anonymous rando would be the culmination of a nine-film saga for the first two films of the last triology wasn't the best of ideas; I can see how long-term fans would have disliked that for not feeling like a proper ending to the saga. But I guess they had to hold the granddaddy reveal until the final movie because otherwise it would have pretty much given away that big comeback. 

At least that's the end of it. They're not going to do another round of films going back to the run-dry Skywalker/Palpatine well or introducing a completely new, completely unexpected, might manage to fail Ori levels badly new villain.

Whaddya mean, they're planning another Rey film set 15 years later?

They keep trying to get milk out of an empty carton when there is so much untapped material out there.

Such as Roger Zelazny's Amber Series which I am currently re-enjoying after a several decades long hiatus.

The Green Screen/Special Effects Departments would have a field day with this series, and there is enough "familial intrigue" to attract the Game of Thrones crowd.

I stumbled into a complete run of the paperbacks recently at the used book and media store Connected to the Carson City Library, which occasionally turns up a mother lode of meaty reading material, depending on what gets donated by the community.

GEM

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Such as Roger Zelazny's Amber Series which I am currently re-enjoying after a several decades long hiatus.

The Green Screen/Special Effects Departments would have a field day with this series, and there is enough "familial intrigue" to attract the Game of Thrones crowd.

Hollywood is not smart enough to tackle the Amber series. They. Are. Just. Not. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Running the Viacanali portion of the cops game for the after-school program.

The kids are adamant that they neither like nor trust the patron that they are supposed to like and trust. (Who, amazingly enough, is NOT planning to do them dirty.)

He has an Intelligence of 24 - he is using their distrust, pointing them in the right direction, and letting them loose. (His primary class is Expert - he is all about the skill points.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 8