Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

3 minutes ago, haldir said:

400089710_369606975429335_64967355875108

It appears that once the box is removed there is nothing distinguishing these from any other candy canes. I would very much like to get some of these, remove the packaging and then, anonymously, leave a bunch of these out in the office for my coworkers. I'm not much for holiday cheer and all, but that would put a smile on my face. 

• Haha 11
  • Confused 1

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, haldir said:

Reminds me of fake skeleton in the cabinet dead space meme.

Frustrating night at the Weds game. The whole thing with the Richard"head" from northern ID got to me. Guy has no clue, he is not wanted at the table. As he is out of country getting dental work done (don't ask, as I have no answer to that one), anyways he said he wasn't going to be back till the first of December. The next week, one of my players said he wasn't going to come to the game due to that player. It was personal thing & just didn't want to be around that player. I told him, I'd rather have you then him at the table & told the players, it may be my game, but without you the players I have no game. I then put it to a table vote, Instantly 4 hand went up. The other 2 players didn't vote, as they didn't want to get involved. With that, he was voted out of the game. As I'm not one for conflict, & I waited to send the message to him, I sent that message on Monday morning.

He replied that he was still in allot of pain, but he'd be back early in December to resume the game. Again, no clue. Sadly, I'm gonna have to send him anther message explaining to him, he is not wanted anymore. Something I really don't want to do, since I've already have done that, but again, he'll doesn't get it.

Also, anther player  finally got to me with his dice rolling.He (supposedly) cheats with his dice rolling, everyone know it, but I've allowed him to stay at the table as he has been coming to my games since the beginning. I don't want to lose players, especially ones that have been around, but that has got to stop. I mean when everyone else is rolling & suffering from bad rolling. I need to talk to him either  before we play or when we play. TBH, I should have never let it go on for as long as it's been going on. It's not fair to the other players, I just didn't want to lose a player, especially at the time we were only averaging 3 players at the table. 

It won't be next Weds as my schedule is wonky due to the holiday. I don't want to send him message asking about his cheating rolls, as I kinda akin that to a online breakup message. I'd rather do it face to face & see his reaction when I ask him about it (not in front of the other players of course). 

Also, the whole "everything is out there as far as monster stats" meta-gaming reared it's head early in the game & it annoyed me  & affected me the rest of the game. I told the players if  they wanted to know what a creature type was, I was going to need a skill roll, just like a perception roll in combat (ie takes your turn up to do it). Anther player looked up the creature online & blurted it like no big deal.

Due to combat, one of the player's character died. It was cleric character I mentioned earlier. He just got overwhelmed by a foe. The foe had an extra attack due to critical roll card I pulled & just hit the down player. On his turn he failed his death save. Normally, I don't do that, as I'm not a killer DM, just a frustrated DM tonight. I did send that player a message when I got home saying his character was still alive when we play these characters again. Hopefully, he sees the message.

1 hour ago, haldir said:

The more I think about this, plus having a few hours of sleep. It just wasn't him or the Richardhead guy last night, overall the table just felt different then usual. After a combat session, I asked the players what do you guys do next & they probably took like 15 to 20 mins (real time) to actually do something. All the while, I'm asking them, "So what's your next move" or "Ok, what or where do you go next." As I was introducing the Headless Horseman next, I wanted get that set up, but nope they just sat there, talking about other things or a couple players doing in game stuff. Also, last night I found out my players not the characters are pretty much hired mercs, thou they were tricked into doing it, they had no qualms of handing over a elder/oldest in town over to a young half-orc "witch" that had wronged her in the past. She was a green hag in disguise & they pretty much fell for her lies. My players are not heroes, & I had to remind the lawful good cleric of life (who only plays lawful good characters) about his actions. The other players just kinda "oh we cover his eyes", or "we turn him around" etc etc. Again, frustrating is all I'm gonna say.

The time wasting was annoying as we only have little under 3 hrs each week to get some gaming in. Last night was also the store's monthly meeting & they want everyone out right at 9 & I was over due to me talking with the owners about the dice cheater guy. I felt bad about that part but I was in the process of putting my stuff away & talking so I wasn't just dillying about wasting their time. As far as the owner's opinion on it, he said it's a private game, so you need to handle it, but if it was him, he'd ban the guy, but he also believes in second chances too. As do I, but to a point of course. At some point, it's just the person playing off the sympathies of person giving the chances.

Something I need to think about the next couple weeks, I guess.

Your stories remind me of the group I played with in high school and after. We all had fun, but there was this one guy... A That Guy, you might say.

However, let me preface this that this guy was my friend and a decent guy, just had some growing to do.

We were playing 3rd/3.5 (which tells you how long ago this was) and this one guy would almost always roll successfully. The DM noticed that he would say what he got and snap up his dice right afterwards, before anyone else could see it. He also tended to sit far away from the DM (we were a six player group at the time), so we start suspect things. He never admitted it and we could never prove it conclusively, but we were pretty sure he was cheating on his rolls. He was also an attention hog and could butt heads over the dumbest things. He killed two of my games by rage quitting because he either did something stupid or was hit by something determined by the dice.

He got so bad at one point, the rest of the group (after I was forced to quit after getting a job) forced him out of the group. They told him that they were dissolving the group, but just reformed it again. Without him. I wasn't a part of it, told them it was a crappy thing to do, and then just rolled my eyes at them when he found out and was mad for a while. They ended up letting him back in, after a conversation about their expectations. There weren't a lot of issues afterwards, but I feel like it could have been handled better. I just refused to let him join any games I wanted to run after he messed up those two.

In your situation, @haldir it sounds like you've put up with enough and I'm sorry you're going to have to tell one of them AGAIN that they're out. Good luck. As for the other one, I respect that you're going to have a face to face conversation. It's a matter of respect.

As for herding the other cats in the group, my trick is to give them enough time to discuss the plans and then just put them on the spot. I go around the table and ask them "what are you doing?" If they don't answer in a 2-3 minutes, they automatically pass. After 2-3 people want to do the same thing, the others will fall in line, and I let them change their answers. Another thing is nominate one player to be the "foreman" (like from a jury) and they get to tell you want the party is going, after you give them X amount time to figure it out, and you only listen to what they have to say, no chiming in from people who want to be "lolrandom". You might want to bring these up with your groups and see what they think. If you go for the "foreman" option, you can also let everyone vote for the position via secret ballot.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, haldir said:

Also, the whole "everything is out there as far as monster stats" meta-gaming reared it's head early in the game & it annoyed me  & affected me the rest of the game. I told the players if  they wanted to know what a creature type was, I was going to need a skill roll, just like a perception roll in combat (ie takes your turn up to do it). Anther player looked up the creature online & blurted it like no big deal.

It's your right as GM to change things or make up stuff.  If you tell your characters they see a large blue lizard-like creature with wings and they automatically say "It's a blue dragon!" and start rolling off stats then make that creature teleport like a blink dog and fry them with acid.  Also sounds like it's time for a no-phones policy.   Emergency calls, sure, but otherwise no scrolling or looking up stuff at the table, it detracts from the game everyone is trying to enjoy. 

As for Dice Guy, a quiet word is best.  Tell him he seems awfully lucky and other players have come to you with concerns.  And since you're friends you're going to leave it at that.... for now. 

15 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

... apparently, it's actually Monday. Somebody should have posted a warning; I'm too sober for this drek.

I spilled a whole cup of tea before I got to drink /any/ of it... and Andi got fired.

I'm actually not sure why; the reason given strikes me as wanna-be alpha-male garbage. Regardless; frustrating ...

Anyway. Off-schedule Monday not authorised...

Anybody need a competent infrastructure guy who can work remotely..?

It's been a whole sucky month of Mondays. I'm sorry.  Awful time of year to get let go, as many companies are dropping contractors and revising budgets for next year.  You might look up an outfit called Cognizant, they do all kinds of remote IT/tech placement all over the globe and the pay is good for the kind of experience Andi has. 

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Bit of a sad day. Saying goodbye to our oldest cat, Tootsie.
We've know it was coming, but still doesn't make it easy.

Deepest sympathy for your loss.  Hold her in your heart forever. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Inarah said:

It's your right as GM to change things or make up stuff.  If you tell your characters they see a large blue lizard-like creature with wings and they automatically say "It's a blue dragon!" and start rolling off stats then make that creature teleport like a blink dog and fry them with acid.  Also sounds like it's time for a no-phones policy.   Emergency calls, sure, but otherwise no scrolling or looking up stuff at the table, it detracts from the game everyone is trying to enjoy. 

As for Dice Guy, a quiet word is best.  Tell him he seems awfully lucky and other players have come to you with concerns.  And since you're friends you're going to leave it at that.... for now.

I forgot about the metagame stuff...

I've got another story about that group from before, involving metagaming and the DM being a jerk. Which I might have told before, so I'll keep it simple.

As I mentioned, we had a party of six characters and we were getting into the higher levels (14 or 16, I believe), so the DM was having trouble challenging us, and started looking for all sorts of options. One thing he did was put Juggernauts (from the MM2) into tight hallways with walls of force to prevent us from moving backwards and forwards. If it hadn't have been for my cleric having some Stone Shape spells, as well as Meld With Stone, we would have been wiped out. These were a CR 12 creature, the DM says, they shouldn't be a real threat to us. I had open up the book and read part of the entry to make my point: they were designed to be used in open fields, as part of major military actions. By putting them in a confined space, and preventing us from running away, the math doesn't work that way. Oh, and he admitted to doubly monster HP, as it was "an average" ignoring the fact that a lot of higher level monsters get tons of bonus HP.

That is one of the few times I've actively looked something up during a game. Usually, I just rely on my memory. Controlling information in games like D&D is almost impossible because of how ubiquitous (oh, got to use this twice in one week!) it is and the monsters are. Even if I don't know 5e stats for a ogre or a dragon or a lich, I know enough about them from earlier editions that I can usually know what we should try. I've written on my gaming blog about this, but there's no way to stop it with a lot of games, because of how easy it is to find stuff from popular games.

That said, looking things up during the game is a no-no, without permission. I would talk with the player about it. It's not okay to do something like that, because it makes things feel less like a real story or game, and just convert it into a thing about numbers. He wanted to capture the feeling of seeing an enemy for the first time (I assume) and the player messed that up. It's not okay to ruin the mood like that. I've also been known to tell players that it's my game and my world, and things might be slightly different than its presented in the books. I have a friend who's been dealing with this with one of his players and I can tell that he sometimes gets frustrated. I don't put up with it, but I've never really had to deal with it.

• Like 8

Got super frustrated at work. Then I realized I could go home and finish the day there. This way, when I am ready to toss the table and smash windows, I can instead just close the laptop and walk away. 

What is driving me batty? I was directed to collate a requirement specification to the subcontractor statement of work to a standard aerospace document to the folders where the sub is to put the analysis reports that prove they did the work. For the life of me, I cannot understand why they set things up so disjointedly initially. This would have been super simple when they were writing things. 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 4

So it go past 60 degrees here today, w.t.h?

Of course I took advantage of the warmth, put a second coat of Tamiya TS8 - Italian Red on the red parts for Mach 5, as the first coat yesterday didn't truly cover the parts. The finished had that, 'you can see the edges where it's raised' on the part. Second coat took care of that. I will admit, it's a nice coat of red paint now, too bad I need to dull it down now, ha ha. I also took the time to spray the first gloss white coat on the body. I will attempt to spray the 2nd coat & possibly a clear coat tomorrow. I may hold off the clear as I'm using Wallyworld's blue can spray paint for this one. (never know what you might get as far as a reaction between paints/brands).

I also did the final mow of the year, the front yard! I think the last time I mowed that was when @TripleH stopped by on his way to RCon this year, so yah a tad bit of time has passed. I mainly wanted to cut the grass, but I got a bunch of the leaves that have fallen in the front as well. So win, win there. I also did some leaf blowing & general clean up of the front of the house.

I also picked up a order I did with Wallyworld earlier this week. I saw an ad for their Black Friday all month, yadda yadda. After seeing a couple of things (a cheap drill & some socket bits) that would be perfect for model use (for sanding the tread/surface of tires to make them looked used) & if needed around the house (yes, I was probably the only American male without a cordless power drill.....), seeing the prices were "if purchased online", I placed my online order with them. Now I set it for store pick up little did I know it was curbside only, no in-store pick up...wtfluff??

I'm out there today & wanted to pick up my order & there was no way I could change it, customer service was "Oh that is a separate dept, you need to talk to them...sigh". So, since I was with my mom, I just told her to meet me over there & set the app up to pick up, Slot #1. red car & waited by the spot. My mom, came over in her car at the same time, the worker came out with my items. She had no problem just handing me the items. Oh & the price, it was like a dollar cheaper online.....ooooooo ahhhhhh.....:rolleyes:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Now I set it for store pick up little did I know it was curbside only, no in-store pick up...wtfluff??

That's strange.  I wonder why they do it that way.  I haven't tried store pickup at Walmart.

When I pick things up at Michaels, all I do is go inside.  They have a couple shelving units with all the pickup orders on them.  You look for your stuff and pick it up and leave.  No employee gets involved.  No ID check.  I guess they figure if you're on camera, you won't try to steal someone else's stuff?  Once it failed because I got a notice that my stuff was picked up when I hadn't done so.  When I contacted them on their web site, they had to give me a refund because they said the store didn't have those items in stock to replace them for me.  Pretty poor way to deal with the issue.

• Like 6