Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Serenity said:

That's strange.  I wonder why they do it that way.  I haven't tried store pickup at Walmart.

When I pick things up at Michaels, all I do is go inside.  They have a couple shelving units with all the pickup orders on them.  You look for your stuff and pick it up and leave.  No employee gets involved.  No ID check.  I guess they figure if you're on camera, you won't try to steal someone else's stuff?  Once it failed because I got a notice that my stuff was picked up when I hadn't done so.  When I contacted them on their web site, they had to give me a refund because they said the store didn't have those items in stock to replace them for me.  Pretty poor way to deal with the issue.

Yah this was my order/pickup Walmart order. I don't think I'll be doing that again. The service was fine, just idiotic the way they have it set up.

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

On the "lucky" dice rolling player, get a shallow wooden box, put it on the table and tell your players from now on all dice must be rolled in the box and left for others to see. If a die is not seen, automatic fail or miss.

I will be incorporating a all player dice rolls will be visible rule next time we gather.im as long as your not covering up or quickly swiping up your dice, im good with that.

I'm also gonna go over the issue of time wasting as well.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, haldir said:

Yah this was my order/pickup Walmart order. I don't think I'll be doing that again. The service was fine, just idiotic the way they have it set up.

I will be incorporating a all player dice rolls will be visible rule next time we gather.im as long as your not covering up or quickly swiping up your dice, im good with that.

I'm also gonna go over the issue of time wasting as well.

There are few things that will motivate the players to get it together faster than the DM obviously making several rolls in succession then checking books/notes and writing things down.

It can be pure theater on the DMs part but the players will perceive it as an impending threat of a Great Big Wandering Monster if they don't get it together and get moving with haste.

• Like 8

Well, today is off to a good start, sleeping in is always nice. Shortly, I'll be starting to work on the pre-holiday house cleaning. I've got plans for what I'm hoping to accomplish during the day, hoping leaving myself some time and energy to do some hobby stuff this evening.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I was directed to collate a requirement specification to the subcontractor statement of work to a standard aerospace document to the folders where the sub is to put the analysis reports that prove they did the work.

I... understand none of those words... Reading that made my brain hurt. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

@Jasper_the_2nd - condolences.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:04 AM, CaptainPete said:

Your stories remind me of the group I played with in high school and after. We all had fun, but there was this one guy... A That Guy, you might say.

I think everyone who's played for a number of years has "that guy" stories. 

We had a guy like that as well.  I almost got physically attacked because of him. Not by him, though. 

We played these big multi-player games of 40k in my friend's single car garage, where he had set up a 6' x 8' table.  The table was so big, that you were kind of "locked" into position around three sides of the table. The one night, I ended up between Sam & Don (not their real names).  Sam was fairly new to the group, Don had a reputation for fudging his die rolls, so we made him roll on the table and usually one of us was watching his rolls to confirm them. Even then, he would roll, then snatch his dice up off the table.  Don's force and Sam's force ended up fighting each other, and Don was trying his usual dice antics. After about the 5th or 6th time of Don doing this, Sam lost it and tried to physically assault Don.  

With me standing right between them. 

With no place to go. 

Thankfully, one of our other players was a cop, and immediately used his "voice of authority" to defuse tensions. 

Surprisingly, Don's dice antics pretty much ended that night.  We still had other issues with Don, but not with the dice. 

Sam was only an infrequent player, but was eventually asked to leave the group after another near physical altercation with someone else (on a night I wasn't there). 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I... understand none of those words... Reading that made my brain hurt. :wacko:

It gets worse. My manager doesn’t know how to communicate properly. I have now been directed to not do that as it wasn’t what he was thinking was required. Instead, I have been directed to take a large aerospace standard requirements document and direct the subcontractor to shove any and all analysis required of them into a single reporting location folder. I do this by changing the wording on a document describing what needs to go into that folder which doesn’t address what they need to put into that folder, but only does stuff like tell them that they need to include a title page, label figures, and other formatting elements. The Statement of Work that describes what they are contractually required to do? Oh, we are leaving that untouched for now!

I have the impression that the program is at the “just do something” panic mode because they can’t think ahead. At some point, I will need to show a clear path from requirement to statement of work to evidence of compliance. And this isn’t helping that. 

Oh, but actually, get the training that’s due in December done now. There’s an audit coming up and they want everyone’s training to be clear for the next month. Why? Because it’s due by the time the audit report will be released and it will have different data at that point. 

I swear, the only reason I have made it this long in the industry and why I make big money is because I can handle this corporate BS and not burn things to the ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 6

On 11/9/2023 at 7:59 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

So, I take it that I am going to be surprised?

:rock:

The Auld Grump

Yes, totally! :lol:

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

@Jasper_the_2nd - condolences.

I think everyone who's played for a number of years has "that guy" stories. 

We had a guy like that as well.  I almost got physically attacked because of him. Not by him, though. 

We played these big multi-player games of 40k in my friend's single car garage, where he had set up a 6' x 8' table.  The table was so big, that you were kind of "locked" into position around three sides of the table. The one night, I ended up between Sam & Don (not their real names).  Sam was fairly new to the group, Don had a reputation for fudging his die rolls, so we made him roll on the table and usually one of us was watching his rolls to confirm them. Even then, he would roll, then snatch his dice up off the table.  Don's force and Sam's force ended up fighting each other, and Don was trying his usual dice antics. After about the 5th or 6th time of Don doing this, Sam lost it and tried to physically assault Don.  

With me standing right between them. 

With no place to go. 

Thankfully, one of our other players was a cop, and immediately used his "voice of authority" to defuse tensions. 

Surprisingly, Don's dice antics pretty much ended that night.  We still had other issues with Don, but not with the dice. 

Sam was only an infrequent player, but was eventually asked to leave the group after another near physical altercation with someone else (on a night I wasn't there). 

We had a That Guy.

Grump told him that if he grabbed his dice before the other players could see it then it was a 0.

He tried it anyway, then sulked when we did treat it as a 0. Quitting when he was called on it a second time.

I do not miss John. Not to be confused with Jon, who is one of the best losers that I have ever played with.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Ok, that's enough for today. I'm going to goof off on the 'puter for  little bit, make dinner, then see about doing some hobby stuff.

Enjoy. I’ll be pushing electrons unhappily for the next few hours. Maybe tomorrow. 

Do have a hobby task. Need to mail off two copies of a scanned, shrunk, and painted scale figure of a family heirloom. Since there’s just the one heirloom, small copies should satisfy those who didn’t have the space. 

For the curious, it’s an old statue that wikipedia says was from a company that sold to roadside vendors in the 70s. Grandparents bought it because it strongly resembled my great-grandfather.

• Like 9