Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, haldir said:

Well he'll, I think due to the schedule, our 3rd guy might not be coming in tonight. I feel kinda sprryvrp4 the guy with the schedule since the grocery mng can't figure how to add him to thr paper schedule, he had to look online for his schedule. GM prob just copied pasted his schedule this week.

Decent load, nothing seriously huge but down a guy & I really don't feel like busting my @ss due to the schedule next week.

Hour & 45 mins of OT on a holiday week, gotta love it!! Big Boss came in & I explained everything above, but he was "oh, ok. I guess I'll start throwing to help you guys out." He threw half an aisle, which is more then the grocery mgr touched, as he didn't touch anything, he never does unless it's critical that he actually does the work. I just gave him the stink eye & didn't say a word to him. He is on my sh"p list right now. No need to waste oxygen or energy with him right now. At least I get a night off tonight, most likely a order a pizza night too.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's better than forgetting to take more than a dozen or so, which I have been guilty of.

That's my problem these days. I forget to use my camera. 

I created a broccoli storm again.   I got a training request from a site, and in the process of trying to discern if this was to be complimentary or billable training, discovered said site was still a dial up site.  Trying to do the training via dial up would likely double or triple the 2-3 hour training session time - if I even had a modem to do the training with. 

I also discovered that the junior tech had sold the site a system chip upgrade without realizing it was a dial up site.  This is a problem for two reasons - one, we don't have any means of upgrading a dial up site any more without someone knowledgeable in the process physically visiting the site. And two, the internal modem hasn't been supported in the new chip upgrades for over two years now - meaning that if the site is really still using dial up, the upgrade will break it. 

Informing the site owner & junior tech of my discoveries and letting them know we couldn't schedule training until these things were resolved stressed them both out and management has had to get involved to calm things down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 9

59 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

That's my problem these days. I forget to use my camera. 

I created a broccoli storm again.   I got a training request from a site, and in the process of trying to discern if this was to be complimentary or billable training, discovered said site was still a dial up site.  Trying to do the training via dial up would likely double or triple the 2-3 hour training session time - if I even had a modem to do the training with. 

I also discovered that the junior tech had sold the site a system chip upgrade without realizing it was a dial up site.  This is a problem for two reasons - one, we don't have any means of upgrading a dial up site any more without someone knowledgeable in the process physically visiting the site. And two, the internal modem hasn't been supported in the new chip upgrades for over two years now - meaning that if the site is really still using dial up, the upgrade will break it. 

Informing the site owner & junior tech of my discoveries and letting them know we couldn't schedule training until these things were resolved stressed them both out and management has had to get involved to calm things down. 

Still being on Dial-up in North America is akin to still carrying a flip phone [guilty as charged] because the assumption is, everybody has a "smart" phone, which implies certain "features". 

I don't see how anyone is able to function as a business and still use dial-up for internet service.

Since this seems to be a recurring problem it seems to me the logical fix is notify every customer that by a certain date they need to have a minimum service speed of >specified< or they may expect all service to cost at least double the current rates and their system is eventually going to cease to function due to their obsolete equipment.

They are attempting to still live in the horse and buggy era [which works only if you are Amish and willing to live within the constraints of that level of technology] when the rest of the world has moved on.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

Still being on Dial-up in North America is akin to still carrying a flip phone [guilty as charged] because the assumption is, everybody has a "smart" phone, which implies certain "features". 

I don't see how anyone is able to function as a business and still use dial-up for internet service.

Since this seems to be a recurring problem it seems to me the logical fix is notify every customer that by a certain date they need to have a minimum service speed of >specified< or they may expect all service to cost at least double the current rates and their system is eventually going to cease to function due to their obsolete equipment.

They are attempting to still live in the horse and buggy era [which works only if you are Amish and willing to live within the constraints of that level of technology] when the rest of the world has moved on.

Happy Thanksgiving.

This particular site still being on dial up sort of makes sense.  It's the private wash of a trucking company that's been there for 15 years, and they aren't processing credit cards - they're only using the fleet functions to track the washes of their trucks and a few independents that they bill for their usage.   The PC running our terminal software is likely hardwired to our system with a serial cable, or they aren't even using the PC terminal interface, and just the front panel interface (which is clumsy, but useable if you only have a few accounts). 

They don't call us for service that often at all - this ticket was the 5th call logged in our system since 2011 - so it's been reliable for them.  

This whole situation only came about because their site manager called in to ask a question about a fleet account, and the junior tech was flabbergasted by the fact that their older software didn't have features he's used to. When he told her about the new features, she wanted to upgrade. After deciding to upgrade, she further decided that she should probably get some training on the new features.  Neither of them expected the can of worms that would open. 

It wasn't really a bad issue, I just stressed a bunch of people out by asking questions. 

I've been told that a course forward has been plotted.  Since the location is local to the factory, the junior tech is going to physically go to site to assess the situation, do the upgrade and install any additional modules or PC software that may be needed. Once that is done, we'll know how to proceed for the training. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

This particular site still being on dial up sort of makes sense.  It's the private wash of a trucking company that's been there for 15 years, and they aren't processing credit cards - they're only using the fleet functions to track the washes of their trucks and a few independents that they bill for their usage.   The PC running our terminal software is likely hardwired to our system with a serial cable, or they aren't even using the PC terminal interface, and just the front panel interface (which is clumsy, but useable if you only have a few accounts). 

They don't call us for service that often at all - this ticket was the 5th call logged in our system since 2011 - so it's been reliable for them.  

This whole situation only came about because their site manager called in to ask a question about a fleet account, and the junior tech was flabbergasted by the fact that their older software didn't have features he's used to. When he told her about the new features, she wanted to upgrade. After deciding to upgrade, she further decided that she should probably get some training on the new features.  Neither of them expected the can of worms that would open. 

It wasn't really a bad issue, I just stressed a bunch of people out by asking questions. 

I've been told that a course forward has been plotted.  Since the location is local to the factory, the junior tech is going to physically go to site to assess the situation, do the upgrade and install any additional modules or PC software that may be needed. Once that is done, we'll know how to proceed for the training. 

Private site for a trucking company sort of makes sense.

I'd still encourage them to upgrade their internet connection while the system still retains functionality.

Just a thought but you might be able to piggy back on their main IT connection outside of the firewall.  This way would probably be a lot more expensive to install than just paying the additional charge for a dedicated service.

If you are dealing with a trucking company without their own IT department, run away, quickly.

• Like 4

Black Friday emails are getting annoying. Might also be that I found five or six different folders that I was storing pictures in and I'm spending my Tuesday moving them all into the proper location so the constant email notifications are bugging me when I'm already annoyed at past self for not doing the job properly.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monsty said:

"World's most dangerous bird"

Is in Australia, of course.

Posted link because it might be useful for painting ideas.

https://www.sciencealert.com/worlds-most-dangerous-bird-seen-emerging-from-the-ocean-in-australia?utm_placement=newsletter

This is how they escaped from Isla Nublar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

This is a very odd feeling to be off on Tuesday night. I'm so used to working a load tonight + being the 2nd load of the week, the night of that load, I should be up at the game store running D&D, aka my usual Weds night. 

So we had pizza tonight but for some reason Papa Murphy's website wouldn't take my card. I inputted everything correctly & for some reason it was giving me an error, so I just closed the window & we went somewhere else. We ended up getting Little Caesar's stuffed crust pepperoni. I had to wait as they didn't have any read, but at least the pizza was hot. The building were LC is located is a giant clusterfluff thou, small & everyone is just clustered up waiting if something isn't ready or waiting in line.

I should start printing for next week's adventure & the holiday one as well.

• Like 7