Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I generally try to avoid complaining about work here, but occasionally I just can't help it.

(I work in IT for a good sized business, in case I haven't mentioned that.) So last Thursday morning we determined that some data that was being recovered for a site that had been having an issue got loaded into one of our clunky old (very critical of course) legacy systems as Canadian data instead of US. Just a typo due to a bunch of manual stuff, and the system caught most, but not quite all of it and rejected it.  So  the business folks wanted it cleaned up so it won't mess up some end of the month stuff.

Nothing too unusual there.
So I asked the business person to put in a ticket so I had something to work against, and because our change control folks like a ticket to be referenced in the change doc. But the business folks can't directly put in a ticket (I'm not paid enough to know the "wisdom" of this.  So she emails our help desk to put in a ticket for her; standard operating procedure.
So I start working on determining what all needs cleaning up.  Write some code to do it.  Start testing. Friday comes around, still no ticket.  Check and business person is off for the day.  So I continue doing my stuff.  Monday, ask if she'd heard back on the ticket.  Nope.  So she emails them again looking for an update. I complete my testing and gather all my evidence of testing for the change ticket (corporate IT is just SO exciting, don't you think?) . Tuesday come around and I'm looking to get the change submitted since the end of the month is coming.  Check with her, no ticket, no response to the 2nd email.  I say screw it, and I create a ticket on her behalf (I could have done that in the first place but that is not the preferred  method.).
I submit my change, get everything approved.  Wednesday comes around, changes gets implemented, user runs some reports.  Everyone happy.
On to today, a full week after the problem started.  Mid afternoon, we get a ticket.  Based off of the user's email asking for an update from Monday.  20 minutes later, we get a ticket for the original email from a week ago. :upside:

It took them a full week to open the ticket for a production issue.....

And worse, it took them 1 day longer to create a ticket than it took me to diagnose the problem, determine a solution, develop the solution, test the solution, document the solution, create a ticket, create a change doc, get that approved, and then implement the change to fix the issue.

And then they didn't even open the ticket right, but created two.

Honestly, just baffled.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

@Jasper_the_2nd people and service tickets/work orders is baffling. 

I get told all the time that I need to create a service ticket for every call & email I handle. Seriously, any time I don't create a ticket for something and someone notices, I get scolded...

...by a service manager who rarely creates his own tickets but should, and even more rarely actually put any information in tickets assigned to him and or even close them out. 

I currently have ~35 open tickets in the call center. Most of them are handled, but I leave my tickets open with a status of "client to callback" for ~30 days from my last entry. 

The Service Manager has over 50 tickets that still have a status of "new" and at least double that with the status of "open".  Most of those tickets have absolutely no information in them about what he worked on.  Some of his tickets are over a year old. 

The engineers are even worse with their tickets. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

So I generally try to avoid complaining about work here, but occasionally I just can't help it.

(I work in IT for a good sized business, in case I haven't mentioned that.) So last Thursday morning we determined that some data that was being recovered for a site that had been having an issue got loaded into one of our clunky old (very critical of course) legacy systems as Canadian data instead of US. Just a typo due to a bunch of manual stuff, and the system caught most, but not quite all of it and rejected it.  So  the business folks wanted it cleaned up so it won't mess up some end of the month stuff.

Nothing too unusual there.
So I asked the business person to put in a ticket so I had something to work against, and because our change control folks like a ticket to be referenced in the change doc. But the business folks can't directly put in a ticket (I'm not paid enough to know the "wisdom" of this.  So she emails our help desk to put in a ticket for her; standard operating procedure.
So I start working on determining what all needs cleaning up.  Write some code to do it.  Start testing. Friday comes around, still no ticket.  Check and business person is off for the day.  So I continue doing my stuff.  Monday, ask if she'd heard back on the ticket.  Nope.  So she emails them again looking for an update. I complete my testing and gather all my evidence of testing for the change ticket (corporate IT is just SO exciting, don't you think?) . Tuesday come around and I'm looking to get the change submitted since the end of the month is coming.  Check with her, no ticket, no response to the 2nd email.  I say screw it, and I create a ticket on her behalf (I could have done that in the first place but that is not the preferred  method.).
I submit my change, get everything approved.  Wednesday comes around, changes gets implemented, user runs some reports.  Everyone happy.
On to today, a full week after the problem started.  Mid afternoon, we get a ticket.  Based off of the user's email asking for an update from Monday.  20 minutes later, we get a ticket for the original email from a week ago. :upside:

It took them a full week to open the ticket for a production issue.....

And worse, it took them 1 day longer to create a ticket than it took me to diagnose the problem, determine a solution, develop the solution, test the solution, document the solution, create a ticket, create a change doc, get that approved, and then implement the change to fix the issue.

And then they didn't even open the ticket right, but created two.

Honestly, just baffled.

I've spent orders of magnitude longer doing the paperwork for some changes than doing the changes themselves.

4 hours ago, haldir said:

403685202_10161750390460763_191897460554

Cotton chicken candy nuggets

White meat with a hard shell.

• Like 9

On 11/14/2023 at 3:49 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

No.  Tell this guy about the Reaper Power Palette and buy the correct paints to match then repaint those two tiles.

This is absolutely the best answer.

On 11/24/2023 at 5:29 AM, Glitterwolf said:

My girl was left to fend for her own.

So she made a Pasta with Salmon and Spinach Dish.

I'm impressed! When left to fend for my own, I stick to sandwiches and cereal. Mostly because they're fast and require little cleanup. If I'm feeling particularly fancy, I might go so far as to make pasta from using jars of Prego sauce and a can of chicken. I really only cook for other people lol.

On 11/25/2023 at 12:44 PM, sumbloke said:

I had a DM tell me he was going to be running an epic level campaign so I started designing a character. His name was Chuck and he threw things. The DM said no to the character. I don't know why, at level 20 he needed a size category increase to use the Tarrasque as an improvised weapon...

That would have needed all the d6s. I think it would have been doing about 1000d6 damage. His normal weapon, a blob of lead just able to fit in a portable hole, was going to do around 200d6.

LOL! Our previous campaign was Pathfinder using the Mythic system (which is basically epic rules on ALL the steroids). I had opted to play a fighter who could already do whacking big amounts of damage. By the time the campaign ended, we were all rolling absurd amounts of dice due to the absolutely insane amount of modifiers, and while it was kind of fun to roll double fistfuls of d8's, eventually to speed things up MrBoot just started having us take the average for attack and damage, so we didn't need to keep pulling out a calculator every other minute. :lol:

Life is generally averaging okay right now; just got out first little dusting of snow and my work has already sent out two "be careful driving to work, there may be a delay announced in the morning stay tuned." 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I'm impressed! When left to fend for my own, I stick to sandwiches and cereal. Mostly because they're fast and require little cleanup. If I'm feeling particularly fancy, I might go so far as to make pasta from using jars of Prego sauce and a can of chicken. I really only cook for other people lol.

My girl is actually a good cook it's just that I enjoy it more, it's more of a hobby for me, so I almost always cook.

But sometimes she gets the mood and creates something herself or when I'm gone and there are no leftovers from one of my dishes, she cooks something nice.

WOOF FOOD LOG:

Last night I made a Zuurkool Stamppot ( Sauerkraut/ Mashed Potatoes, Bacon and Smoked Sausauge with Mustard)

20231130_171216.jpg.0284fbf6718ffb57d8a7e9fa214ef5e3.jpg

Wednesday I made a Sweet and Sour Tomatoe Soup with Chicken and Fried Egg from the Slowcooker.

20231129_173836.jpg.870c0210aff7f9b01e67da21a6d7a516.jpg

And I baked a Dutch Boterkoek ( Buttercake) last night which we'll have today with our coffee/tea

20231201_101807.jpg.9e966bd3385beb8748f69702f13f6574.jpg

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, haldir said:

405459085_10161694190754524_345733335219

LOL!

This was my dad, every time we went skiing, it seemed like he would fart at the exact same spot on the road up to the ski area - this one right here:

image.thumb.png.e0bc0e3d734c8608ad613bfdc0d62a39.png

He called it "pressure equalization" 

It was so predictable that my sister and I would roll down the windows in the car before we got to that corner on the road. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10