Randomness: the 18th sequel

Chaoswolf

53 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

First, some background:
We have a site that is a c-store/gas station w/ car wash that is currently having a problem with the pay @ the pump interface.   That's the hardware/software protocol that lets them sell car wash codes at the gas pump & c-store cash registers. This is an oversimplification of the problem, but essentially, for every car wash code they're selling through the pumps, their system is asking our controller for dozens of codes for every one it's actually printing. What this means is that the available code list from our controller fills up and can't issue codes any more, until it's manually reset. 

We don't know exactly what the problem is, as it's in the pump controller settings, which is not our equipment.  We have seen this symptom before, and every time in the past, it has only been fixed when the issue is fixed in the pump controller settings, usually by the manufacturer. 

That's the background - now to why I'm screaming. 

The site is a corporate oil site. That means they have to use their corporate help desk.  The help desk then has to talk to the manufacturer. Only the corporate help desk is allowed to make the necessary change to their pump controller. So the manufacturer can't just log in and do it for them. We do have a contact at the gas pump manufacturer who knows what the problem is. We've told the site and the distributor to tell the corporate help desk to contact our contact there. 

Despite all this, the corporate help desk can't get the issue figured out, and keeps blaming the car wash controller. So then the site complains to the distributor, who complains to us. 

This has been going on for most of 2023. We just got a long rambling rant from the distributor about how we really need to get this fixed for them. We, once again, replied back as to why we can't. 

And then the reply that made me scream.

"I understand what you're saying, but we're dealing with a corporate help desk here. Can't you do anything?"

The answer I want you to give is: "Depends. Are you willing to get me the stuff I need for napalm and an alibi?" :lol:

• Haha 11

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

@kristof65 Ah, business efficiency at it's finest I see. My condolences.

I enjoy my current job most days, but every now and then I stare at the wall and think about how I'm part of the bureaucracy and I'm not sure how to feel about that lol.

After the Navy, the largest business I ever worked for had around 250 employees. After those experiences, I was done with bureaucracy. 

I will stick with small businesses and/or independent contracting for as long as I can. 

I still have to deal with it (obviously), but at least I can stand on the outside. 

27 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

The answer I want you to give is: "Depends. Are you willing to get me the stuff I need for napalm and an alibi?" :lol:

That's an answer I'd love to give. 

Especially since this is one of those sites that has never upgraded since it's installation around 15 years ago. It doesn't have obsolete equipment, just the oldest models we still support, but it doesn't have the remote connection module. But even that wouldn't help - we've already proved the issue.  The only thing more we could do for them now would be to send one of our techs to site (over 600 miles away) and get on the phone with our manufacturer contact while they're on the phone with their corporate help desk. There is no way they're going to sign off on what would be a minimum $3k trip charge though.  

I do have a distributor tech I know well - well enough he has my direct cell phone number (and doesn't abuse it). Quite often when he calls, my first words to him will be "C4. Liberal application of C4. That should solve it. "  His response is usually "You keep telling me that, and yet you never send me any."

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

So my credit card got fraudulently used last week - the morning of Black Friday, someone tried to make charges with it at two different UK travel agencies. My card issuer declined both, but I had to get a new card. It also meant that I couldn't do my shopping for my wife's xmas presents on black Friday. 

Last night and this morning, my debit card was used fraudulently. Last night they charged $417 to Southwest Airlines. My bank did not decline that one, and despite me disputing it almost immediately, I'm still out the $417 from my checking account until they decide to refund me. That could be mid next week.   This morning, someone attempted to charge $389 to Southwest Airlines on my card, but it was declined because that card was canceled last night. 

Not sure where my cards were compromised, but seriously annoyed. 

Anyway, in trying to figure that out and doing some research, I found there is a new scam out there. What they do is get stolen card data like mine, and they sell cheap airline tickets to people using those cards.  They don't really care if the transaction goes through or not - it just has to go through long enough for them to get the confirmation code for the reservation, and then they take payment from their other victim via a means like Venmo, FB payments, etc. 

@OneBoot you must be the mod that approved my post - thanks. I literally LOLed when I was informed the post was hidden, cause I had completely forgot about the spam issues earlier this year - I was in the process of rewriting it to get past the filters when I got the approval notice. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 10

It's the fact that you mentioned an air(place) by name; it results in a few false positives like yours, but has drastically reduced the amount of spam that mods need to deal with manually. There were days where literally dozens came in. 

(lol clearly I've been an admin too long, I was about to "thank you for your patience" and "apologize for the inconvenience," though I do actually mean both when I write them) :lol:

EDIT: And I just got auto-modded myself lol, I forgot that the generic term was also blocked. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 11

I knew exactly what caused it as soon as I did it. And then I was an idiot and completely forgot that my next post might trigger it again if it appended. I'm still chuckling. 

I'd rather deal with you guys having to approve the occasional post than the situation earlier. I appreciate it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Of course! And now that I figured out how to turn on mobile push notifications when a post requires mod attention, I can respond a lot faster. I hadn't been on the forums in awhile during the worst of the spamalanche and didn't even know it was happening since I had all notifications turned off. -_-

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot 🙂

• Like 10

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

First, some background:
We have a site that is a c-store/gas station w/ car wash that is currently having a problem with the pay @ the pump interface.   That's the hardware/software protocol that lets them sell car wash codes at the gas pump & c-store cash registers. This is an oversimplification of the problem, but essentially, for every car wash code they're selling through the pumps, their system is asking our controller for dozens of codes for every one it's actually printing. What this means is that the available code list from our controller fills up and can't issue codes any more, until it's manually reset. 

We don't know exactly what the problem is, as it's in the pump controller settings, which is not our equipment.  We have seen this symptom before, and every time in the past, it has only been fixed when the issue is fixed in the pump controller settings, usually by the manufacturer. 

That's the background - now to why I'm screaming. 

The site is a corporate oil site. That means they have to use their corporate help desk.  The help desk then has to talk to the manufacturer. Only the corporate help desk is allowed to make the necessary change to their pump controller. So the manufacturer can't just log in and do it for them. We do have a contact at the gas pump manufacturer who knows what the problem is. We've told the site and the distributor to tell the corporate help desk to contact our contact there. 

Despite all this, the corporate help desk can't get the issue figured out, and keeps blaming the car wash controller. So then the site complains to the distributor, who complains to us. 

This has been going on for most of 2023. We just got a long rambling rant from the distributor about how we really need to get this fixed for them. We, once again, replied back as to why we can't. 

And then the reply that made me scream.

"I understand what you're saying, but we're dealing with a corporate help desk here. Can't you do anything?"

Short answer "No"

Longer answer "NO!"

You have my sympathy.

At this point I would be checking the fine print in order to void any and all warranties.

You just can't fix Stupid.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

After the Navy, the largest business I ever worked for had around 250 employees. After those experiences, I was done with bureaucracy. 

I will stick with small businesses and/or independent contracting for as long as I can. 

I still have to deal with it (obviously), but at least I can stand on the outside. 

That's an answer I'd love to give. 

Especially since this is one of those sites that has never upgraded since it's installation around 15 years ago. It doesn't have obsolete equipment, just the oldest models we still support, but it doesn't have the remote connection module. But even that wouldn't help - we've already proved the issue.  The only thing more we could do for them now would be to send one of our techs to site (over 600 miles away) and get on the phone with our manufacturer contact while they're on the phone with their corporate help desk. There is no way they're going to sign off on what would be a minimum $3k trip charge though.  

I do have a distributor tech I know well - well enough he has my direct cell phone number (and doesn't abuse it). Quite often when he calls, my first words to him will be "C4. Liberal application of C4. That should solve it. "  His response is usually "You keep telling me that, and yet you never send me any."

Tell him no matter how much he begs and pleads you aren't sending him a mid-90s era Corvette. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_(C4)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

The rumors that WOOF is starting a gofundme for @Chaoswolf have been confirmed.

photowinebag.thumb.jpg.c95b6a3071aa23ca49b91798865f9790.jpg.0edb88e61f30431ef820e43018271e4f.jpg

If I hit RCON next year, I know what I'm bringin'.....

Well, hell...

Good news is the faucet is in, bad news, is no cold water - even worst news is the cold water pipe has a nasty leak/drip now. I had to bring my father-in-law into this as he has the tools & while he's not a plumber, he is allot more experience in these kinda of things. It took us a few hours to finally get to where it is. So plumber will have to be brought in to fix that cold water pipe. FiL says they'll probably have to cut out the area that leaking & solder in something. It's a nut that hold the a threaded nipple so the valves can be place onto the pipes. Since the new faucet had h & c lines with it but the ends were like 3/8" fittings & the existing line are like 1/2", so yah had to run out to HD again. The worker helped but he also got me to buy a couple things I didn't need, so back up there to get refunds. I'm taking the space-age wrench back as I used it like 1 time that was to reach up to break the "wing-nut" thing that was holding the sprayer holder.

Currently, I have some of the Flex Tape over it to slow the leak (not stop as the "sheep" doesn't stop it completely.... What's worse is it, leaking down the pipe & going down below. Since it now winter here (snows quite a bit), it's gonna get cold & freeze. Hopefully nothing worse will come out of this.

I'm just glad it over (sorta) & of course idiot me, decided to put my Christmas gift together tonight as well. Computer desk is great, as I have more space, monitor now sits on a higher shelf & finally can use one of those large desktop mouse pads, I picked up in like 2019 when I was originally gonna replace the small desk, I've had probably for 20+ years. The desk I bought at the same time will see life upstairs. I'll turn it into a airbrush station & other workspace.

The problem with the new desk was the assembly - O.M.G it was the "Desk from Hell". Some of the bolts were in places, the Allen wrench they supplied couldn't turn properly. I eventually had to get a pair of pliers to complete the turns. I think I'm glad I'm going back to work tomorrow night.........::P:

• Like 9